Knee High to a Grasshopper

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welcome  , hope your a blue and not a red  football wise  . !    it can be a draining process getting a sgc   but persevere  its all worth it in the end . 

Strangely, I have never been interested in football all my life, even my mum questions if I was swapped at birth as I show no interest - hahaha. However, a friend at work gave me the experience of going to watch Leeds. To my surprise, I did enjoy the day.

Many thanks for the comment too, I'm getting the impression it needs a lot of patience.

exactly.... Don't see the point, its just kicking a ball to each other then one of you kicks it passed a bloke who is supposed to catch it but doesn't then your team is rewarded a point even though only one bloke kicked it passed the bloke who was supposed to catch it so really he should be the one to get a point. If one of you is a naughty boy and trips another bloke up then the umpire gets a bit cross with you and lets the soft mardy arse who got tripped up have a free go at kicking the ball past the catchy bloke. If the mardy arse bloke who cried about tripping up kicks the ball past the catchy bloke all his mates come running over and kiss it better for him.

that's ips does football.

oh rugby, that's a bit weird too.

some big blokes (not sure how many) shove there heads between other blokes crotches and then chase after each other around a field. Ball is a funny shape not sure why. They have a bath together not sure why. There is a normal version and a kick ass sado masochistic northern version again not sure why. Some appear to be smallish but fast runners, some appear to be big and not so fast and employed to stop the not so big but fast ones from running from one side of the playing field to the other. I don't get this anymore than I get chavball but lots of beer seems to be consumed which I would have liked fifteen years ago but I am a scotch man so I don't really fancy it now.

ips does rugby

It appears from your musings there is at the moment no sign of the new toy ?????????????

Love the analogy of the ball games that are listed above. Brilliant! ...that magic sponge though :???:

Yesterday I checked my bank and noticed the cheque to the value of £79.50 had been requested, I checked today it's showing as cleared.

That means GMP are probably one of the only forces who actually take the money when they are supposed to.

Most take it straight away, then start processing the application.

Jayzeable, Welcome bud. I noticed you have already met some of the strange ones on here. (They get worse!!!) i was issued my certificate from merseyside police and i didn't have to pay my doctor anything, i have since visited the doctors after receiving my certificate and he mentioned signing it off for me but didn't mention any fee involved. So it sounds like a bit off a scam if you ask me. 

Like Lord v said i am surprised your check took so long to be cashed, mine was done within a week of applying. It still took a further 8 months to get it in my hand but hay ho i have it now. good luck with the application, hopefully you will have it sooner rather than later.

Jayzeable, Welcome bud. I noticed you have already met some of the strange ones on here. (They get worse!!!) i was issued my certificate from merseyside police and i didn't have to pay my doctor anything, i have since visited the doctors after receiving my certificate and he mentioned signing it off for me but didn't mention any fee involved. So it sounds like a bit off a scam if you ask me. 

Like Lord v said i am surprised your check took so long to be cashed, mine was done within a week of applying. It still took a further 8 months to get it in my hand but hay ho i have it now. good luck with the application, hopefully you will have it sooner rather than later.

Be a good boy and give the Doctor his Alloy wheels back !

Just thought I’d pop my head in, and let you nice people know I’m still here with an update.

So far, …as of today I’m currently 80 Days into the waiting game. Looks like my theory of parting with my hard earned cash, and being able to shave off a few weeks to enable me to grab a bargain at The Game Fair last weekend was absolutely kyboshed!!!

I thought the event was a worthy visit, so I did still attend The Game Fair and took along the family for the Saturday and Sunday… The kids loved it.

Now onto the next milestone of 99 days, so fingers crossed I land on this side of the average number of days it has been recorded to be granted with an SGC.

Let’s hope Greater Manchester Police can get things moving, soon.

Just a quick update on my application.

I received a phone call from GMP around dinnertime today. She asked me to attend my doctor's surgery, and pay funds for the sum of £20. I thought long and hard about parting with my hard earned cash, and part of me wanted to stand tall and refuse as advised from the BASC. However, in my instance, I felt I have more to loose if I did not pay the fee.

......More to loose you may ask yourself?

I certainly do not agree with the doctor/system charging applicants to say they are either fit/unfit to hold an SGC. Today was my viewpoint that if I paid the sum, I'd potentially (my theory) shave 3-4 weeks off the total time for the grant of an SGC, which is set aside within the application process time for the doctor not to respond, before the application proceeds to the next stage.

The doctor's surgery does not take any kind of credit/debit card, so I actually parted with my last twenty-pound note. I spoke to the receptionist about the process between them and GMP Firearms Unit. She sounded pretty knowledgeable and said the doctor had already written to GMP, but the Firearms Unit won't process my application until funds have been paid to the Doctor. I thought the application was a gated process, but this looks like the doctor notifies GMP with another letter to say I have paid the fee, I suppose this fast-track's the application.

If my theory comes to fruition I hope I'll be able to grab a discounted gun from one of the summer Game Fairs. Looking at some of the gun deals and offers when we attended the 'Northern Shooting Show', looks like I can save more than £20 - so I will be happy if this comes true.

Fingers crossed.
20 quid is actually not that bad, my local thief of GP charged me 50 quid for the same letter! my police force never rang me I had a letter straight from GP saying either pay or we will not send required info to the police. When I demanded to know how/why on earth a 10 min letter costs £50 quid the general manager refused to talk to me on the phone . I decided to actually go to the GP surgery and speak with the manager myself however I was told that she is unavailable and/or unwilling.

I was in the same boat and decided to bite the bullet an pay them, but I do not agree. Well actually I agree to pay a fee just not £50 quid's worth, in my opinion 10 quid should be more than enough to cover their time i.e 5 quid for their time of 5 min to print the do, 10p for paper and 4.90 for postage.

Oh welcome to the forum ;)

F

I know I did a little update on the 1st of August, but now I have some news to share, so I want to update my post.

Originally, I did think about updating my post as I went along, to document each stage …but I got all superstitious (which I’m not ever!) and thought I might jinx my application.

A few days after the update here, I received a telephone call. It was from the FAO who wanted to arrange a visit at our home. This was on Friday the 4th, and we arranged for the following Wednesday.

With being unsure of what did happen on these visits, I had a vast array of answers mentally stored for what questions I thought might arise. However, none of these questions were presented.

The Firearms Dept. had raised an ancient hand injury found in my medical records and wanted an explanation. He made a written statement of the occurrence. I feel the need to add this was not my fault. In addition, I never reported the incident to the police either, and question why not. I do fully appreciate how this may have looked. Anyway, after my explanation he said there is no reason why I shouldn’t be granted an SGC …and he will recommend I am granted one (my insides flipped with excitement, joy and relief), but he quickly went on to say, and he made it very clear, the final responsibility is not with him, it will be in the hands of the Firearms Manager who will authorise my SGC.

After the sit-down discussion, he did what I assume is standard practice and walked the house, assessed how secure our house is, and question the security arrangements we have in place. He was very helpfully regarding the gun cabinet placing.

The whole visit was very relaxed, very straight forward and quite a pleasing affair, which all took place on Wednesday the 9th. I genuinely thought he was a nice and pleasant chap. When he was leaving, he did say I should normally hear back within two weeks. Unfortunately, he explained they are short staffed at the moment, and it may take a little longer, but he will be in contact.

So, this morning, I received the final telephone call and told I’ve been issued with my SGC :D

For those who are interested, this is the timeline for my application:

• 11/05/2017         Posted my SGC application (recorded delivery)
  • 13/05/2017         Received application (Signed for)
  • 22/05/2017         Phone call from GMP saying I need to pay my Doctor
  • 22/05/2017         Paid Doctor £20 cash
  • 24/05/2017         Cheque cleared
  • 04/08/2017         Received phone call to make arrangements for home visit
  • 09/08/2017         Home visit
  • 24/08/2017         Received telephone call to say SGC has been granted
I calculate this process took a total of 103 days from the point they received my application.

Yay :D

PS. I did offer him a cuppa tea, but he declined.

Not suprised - NO Biscuits!!!
Bet your well chuffed now. [emoji4]

Hahaha maybe...

Absolutely, yes. I'm genuinely over the moon right now...

I'm so relieved the wait has come to an end. It's quite a stressful process, and I don't understand why it is...? ...but it feels worth it right now!! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just renewed my license 40 to police £75 to GP in south wales.
Wow..75£ to the your Doctor...

Why on Earth is anybody paying there doctor when it has been established if you don't and they say nothing it will not affect the grant of it?

Please send me your 50 pound notes wrapped in a 20 and i will ensure that your doctor doesn't send anything ;)

Why on Earth is anybody paying there doctor when it has been established if you don't and they say nothing it will not affect the grant of it?Please send me your 50 pound notes wrapped in a 20 and i will ensure that your doctor doesn't send anything [emoji6]
I agree, but my reason I parted with my 20£ note is in post #9 of this thread.

Although my theory did not come to fruition, I still feel it was worth a try.

Maybe SGC applicants feel they need to comply with any request given during this process. With being new to the SGC system, maybe they don't want to risk any reason for being branded as difficult and raise any reason for the grant being delayed or worse refused.

Just a thought.

Back