Is this a good choice for first gun?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ned

I am a new shooter and am waiting (as patiently as possible!) for my SGC to arrive. Yesterday I visited an open day run by my local gun dealer. Having spoken to the chief honcho and asked his advice, I have put down a deposit on a second hand Miroku Mk 38 with fixed chokes (1/4 & 3/4), 30 inch barrels, as he advised me this would be a very good gun to get me started & beyond. I noticed that there was also a Browning B525 multi-choke for the same price, but he advised me that the Miroku was the better option. Having since trawled the forums, I am beginning to wonder whether I have had really sound advice, or whether he saw me coming and shifted a gun that had been on his shelf for rather too long. I had a shoot with the Miroku and liked it well enough, but then I have very little experience and could probably be persuaded that a blunderbuss was the weapon of choice ! I expect to be shooting English Sporting clays for the most part. Am I being paranoid? I expect I could change my mind and opt for the Browning 525 instead : informed opinion would be much appreciated.

Ned

either option will be a good gun for what you want. pick up both and see which one you prefer the best.

Personally I'd go for the miroku but would expect it to be cheaper than the browning. Have a play with the two and see what you prefer the feel of.

Miroku all the way! Have a good haggle and personaly I would get them to bore the 3/4 barrel out to half. 1/4 and 1/2 will do you well for many years :)

I personally wouldn't worry too much about chokes at this stage. Concentrate on getting something that fits (as near as dammit) and get a few lessons. You can tweak your shooting with chokes and carts when you get a little more experienced. But above all, enjoy! :D

I would go for Miroku - I had the exact same gun when they first came out. The balance was really good and ultra reliable. I had just the top barrel teague choked so that gave me the option of shooting 1/4 and and whatever. Now I would not bother and would be happy with 1/4 and 3/4.

I presume this is the sporter version you are looking at - the early ones were high in the comb replicating a trap stock. This might suit you but I had 1/8" taken off the comb and it was then perfect for me.

I have since passed the gun onto my son in law and he shoots really well with it.

The 325 is a great gun as well but I prefer the way fixed choke guns handle.

Yep I would also go for the Miroku ... I use a 30" Mk 38 fixed choke ( 1/2 & 3/4 ) a nice bit of kit

Hi Ned,

I guess that was the Avalon guns open day out at Brook Bank...

Some good advice above. Try handling both guns and pick the one that feels best for now. I used a Miroku Mk70 for a long while (multi-choke version) and liked it a lot. The Miroku's just seem so well finished to me, and great value for money. Multi-choke is useful, especially if you are shooting something like skeet with close-in stuff and FITASC with really rangy birds, but otherwise they can be a distraction. As the others say, you can always get chokes fitted later on if you must...

As an aside, I don't live far from you (halfway between Street and Bridgwater). Where do you shoot? Maybe later in the year we could meet up once I am back into shooting again (I'm gunless at the moment).

Thanks to all for input. Went back to Avalon today with Rob Eaton who looked the guns over with me & checked the fit: bottom line, stayed with the Miroku. Just have to wait for the SGC now, then learn to shoot straight!

nice to see an experienced shooter helping out a newbie … well done rob ;) Ned I'm sure rob could sort ur shooting out too :)

I am very happy that you decided to go for the Miroku.Once you have your licence and your gun, shoot it as it is 1/2 & 3/4, yes you will miss a lot to start with but you will actually have the best all-round combination for modern day sporting shooting.

Rather than spend money on playing with chokes invest your money in lessons and entries, you will not hone your skills with books, DVD's and shooting forums, you have to get out and shoot the targets. Too much choke is better than not enough, it will aid your concentration.

Style, method and ability will always give better results than choke and cartridge changing.

Good luck and enjoy.

Latest posts

Back