Is clay shooting a declining sport?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read one of their booklets and they have been part of the Beretta family for a few years. 

I dont think its decreasing around my area. I went to Mickley Hall the other week.... cold and windy and it was really busy, i thought the weather may have put people off a little and being a Saturday not as busy as a Sunday when more people are off work. I was wrong, it was really busy.

More and more am getting to shoots and car parking is a PITA with not enough room to park and ques at stands, I would say ESP is busier than ever IMO but i am just a youth at 35.

Cost for me is the biggest thing restricting me. I would really like to join the CPSA to get my membership and shoot some registered shoots but cost is getting daft, I dont need the insurance from CPSA...... but just to get to shoot registered I have to pay £72 and pay more for the clays on the day which feels like a poke in the eye. I pay £45 for insurance currently and that covers me for all the insurance I need, it does feel like CPSA are just money grabbing to line their own pockets, but they have me over a barrel if I want the registered shoots and get my classification. 

Am sure when I was 17 i was paying £100-£120 for Gamebore White Gold per 1000, I bet they are £245 - £255 now which for me is  just not financially viable. Even GB Velocity`s and Eley First are well above that price and they are at the lower end of cartridge price range.  

It would be nice to see new clay grounds opening, I have Hodnet on a Tuesday during the summer but after that am driving 45 + minutes and then have to que and fight for car parking spaces, to me this says there must be enough custom out there for someone else to open up in the area. 

It is declining in my house, i keep records and in 2019 we shot half the targets we shot in 2015,  living in west yorkshire the lure of 200 mile sundays to get to a Reg Shoot is fading.
I live in west Yorkshire,I can do registerd shoots without travelling that far,Rufforth for instance

I dont think its decreasing around my area. I went to Mickley Hall the other week.... cold and windy and it was really busy, i thought the weather may have put people off a little and being a Saturday not as busy as a Sunday when more people are off work. I was wrong, it was really busy.

More and more am getting to shoots and car parking is a PITA with not enough room to park and ques at stands, I would say ESP is busier than ever IMO but i am just a youth at 35.

Cost for me is the biggest thing restricting me. I would really like to join the CPSA to get my membership and shoot some registered shoots but cost is getting daft, I dont need the insurance from CPSA...... but just to get to shoot registered I have to pay £72 and pay more for the clays on the day which feels like a poke in the eye. I pay £45 for insurance currently and that covers me for all the insurance I need, it does feel like CPSA are just money grabbing to line their own pockets, but they have me over a barrel if I want the registered shoots and get my classification. 

Am sure when I was 17 i was paying £100-£120 for Gamebore White Gold per 1000, I bet they are £245 - £255 now which for me is  just not financially viable. Even GB Velocity`s and Eley First are well above that price and they are at the lower end of cartridge price range.  

It would be nice to see new clay grounds opening, I have Hodnet on a Tuesday during the summer but after that am driving 45 + minutes and then have to que and fight for car parking spaces, to me this says there must be enough custom out there for someone else to open up in the area. 
Can be busy at Mickley on Saturdays as they're not allowed to open Sundays due to noise restrictions, to keep the locals happy...ish.

I've always found Mickley's cartridge prices to be quite good. Here's their recent price list:

DSC04212.JPG

I live in west Yorkshire,I can do registerd shoots without travelling that far,Rufforth for instance
Its a poor representation of a reggie comp, hobsons choice to shoot ESP at that venue

Its a poor representation of a reggie comp, hobsons choice to shoot ESP at that venue
Yes you are correct for esp,I shoot dtl there. Heard good reports about mount farm albeit dates are limited.

However I also agree west yorks and south yorks are poorly represented in registered opportunities

Back