ignorance is bliss

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will see if I can find them, they were golf related about clearing your mind. I'll post them if I can find them.

I've read a few articles on that very subject, how to keep your conscious mind occupied to let your sub conscious take over...my simple solution try and think of the sea......cheaper than a lobotomy....
That would guarantee that I'd have to pee.  And take my mind off of shooting - sorta

"So if all of a sudden you have started to analyse every aspect and your concious mind is now stronger than your subconcious how do you get the unconcious back ?" You keep the conscious busy but, to stop it thinking of stuff that might affect how you shoot, you have to think of something harmless - the same thing every time. A mantra if you like. Eg think "foot position, gun hold point, look hard at the clay. PULL"

Think the same thing, exactly the same thing, every time, just before you shoot. It stops you thinking stupid stuff that interferes with your unconscious. Your unconscious is where your skill is ie the bit that gets you hitting the target. But you have to practice it. If you don't think your mantra/phrase every time before you call pull, you allow yourself the opportunity to think the wrong thing. As you have said, thinking can make you miss, so always think the same thing and that will make missing less likely....That's the theory

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope.....that is not the theory.....that is someone explaining it to you Gnasher ....who does not really understand the theory themselves or thinks they do :wink:

But if it works for you then stick with it because parts of the theory are in there.....!

As part of your techniques you need to try and focus only on positive thoughts which is where visualisation can help as you go through the shot routine and watch the clay burst into dust.

You need to eliminate all negative thoughts and words.  Avoid things like I'm not going to have trigger freeze or I'm not going to miss behind, below etc as the brain immediately thinks that is what you want and will give it to you even though its not what you really want!

There is visualisation in sporting (repeat pairs - know where they are coming from and going to) and then there is Trap. No point visualising a sharp left being boldly smashed to bits and the in reality calling a sharp right.

Lots talked about visualisation....but lots have not got a clue how to do it properly :wink: and that is where the £££££££££££'s come in :laugh:

But have fun doing what works for you.

P.s. Anyone tell me the affect when you visualise the perfect smashes of the clays you are about to hit.....and then get on the stand and miss you first 2 pairs???? Answers on a postcode....as to how you are then feeling and how you get back on track.

P.s. Anyone tell me the affect(sic) when you visualise the perfect smashes of the clays you are about to hit.....and then get on the stand and miss you first 2 pairs???? Answers on a postcode....as to how you are then feeling and how you get back on track.
My guess would be that you are still actively thinking about the plan when you call for the target instead of just letting the computer run the program.  People who can think about their approach to the target when it is in the air are nothing less than astounding AFAIC

Psst Wonko...

I did really mean affect (in the way it affects you and the feeling)....rather than the effect of the missed clay :wink:

So I am talking about the affect it has on the mind after the the failure.

You know when all the eggs are placed in the basket in a prepared careful way......and then you drop the basket .

So what do you do when your visualisation makes you all warm and cuddly ....you think you have it off to a tee....but in reality when you call the bird and pull the trigger ...you miss...?

Visualisation perfect - Reality big fail

Answers on a postcard...!

(Pssst Wonko....my English is terrible....I am Northern)

Last edited:
Nope.....that is not the theory.....that is someone explaining it to you Gnasher ....who does not really understand the theory themselves or thinks they do :wink:

But if it works for you then stick with it because parts of the theory are in there.....!
How very patronising of you, Tinker.  The theory would take pages and pages and my little bit of it is just a taster, trying to be helpful.  I learnt about it from one of the best in the business, Lanny Bassham.  Of course there is a lot more to it but IPS would need to see a sports psychologist for that, or get Lanny's "Mental Management for Sporting Clays", to get the whole picture.  Maybe the way I expressed it could have been better.  Why don't you try to express it better for me?

Gnasher - so get a shrink, eh?    :haha:

Nicola, you are perfectly correct.  The statement was misread not miswrote.  I'll make no claims to proper English usage, but I have noticed that there are many who regularly exceed me in what a linguistics prof called my creative language.  Formulating new meanings for words or perhaps original syntax can sometimes cloud the exchange of ideas.  

Or so I've been told.   :crazy:

How very patronising of you, Tinker. The theory would take pages and pages and my little bit of it is just a taster, trying to be helpful. I learnt about it from one of the best in the business, Lanny Bassham. Of course there is a lot more to it but IPS would need to see a sports psychologist for that, or get Lanny's "Mental Management for Sporting Clays", to get the whole picture. Maybe the way I expressed it could have been better. Why don't you try to express it better for me?
Sorry you took it that way Gnash.

It was a valid comment. The subject is very complex.

I will get my coat.

:laugh:

Gnasher - so get a shrink, eh? :haha:

Nicola, you are perfectly correct. The statement was misread not miswrote. I'll make no claims to proper English usage, but I have noticed that there are many who regularly exceed me in what a linguistics prof called my creative language. Formulating new meanings for words or perhaps original syntax can sometimes cloud the exchange of ideas.

Or so I've been told. :crazy:
Haha me neither Wonko...I am Lancastrian ...I know nothing....we use small words. :wink:

And although I know something about the workings of the left side of the brain and the right side if the brain....I have no idea where to find the unconscious :wink: or what to do with it if I found it :wink:

And although I know something about the workings of the left side of the brain and the right side if the brain....I have no idea where to find the unconscious :wink: or what to do with it if I found it :wink:
Now I can help you with that one!

Drink more G & T and the unconscious will come through soon enough! You will know when you have found it but have no recollection of where you put it when consciousness returns.

Hic!!  :biggrin:

It could have been a fluke but after many years of trying and analising it I think I have found how too kill my concious and to wake my unconcious but early days yet so not telling.

It could have been a fluke but after many years of trying and analising it I think I have found how too kill my concious and to wake my unconcious but early days yet so not telling.
Whiskey ????

Whisky ....Mmmmm

Does any particular brand bring out the subconscious ??

Back