How to spot an English man?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you Google for ‘identifying partridges’, you’ll find a movie published by the British Trust for Ornithology.
I hope this helps

I googled out of curiosity and Piegonwatch has threads on this dating back a few years. I can’t deeplink to it, but try your luck there. No partridges of any denomination can be shot in my neck of the woods. 

Anybody got any tips on how to spot the difference between an English and French partridge in flight when on the peg?
An interesting question, can't answer it as I am not sure you can.

PS - couple of seasons ago I couldn't even tell the difference between a french partridge and a white partridge 🤣🤣 £50 it cost me 🤣🤣

An interesting question, can't answer it as I am not sure you can.

PS - couple of seasons ago I couldn't even tell the difference between a french partridge and a white partridge 🤣🤣 £50 it cost me 🤣🤣
It can be quite a costly afair if you're not careful. With some shoots actively trying to encourage growth of English partridge it can be a problem at the minute. I've only ever shot 2, but had no idea they weren't French at the time. I can spot English from a distance from the colour from their backs, but when I'm underneath them they all look the same. Someone once told me English cackle before they take off, but if there's more than 1 in the air that's of no use.

I was asked to shoot them on a day last year, not sure i can really describe the difference but i felt i could pick them out comfortably, they tend to make a distinctive sound and the wings in flight look different

I was asked to shoot them on a day last year, not sure i can really describe the difference but i felt i could pick them out comfortably, they tend to make a distinctive sound and the wings in flight look different
That will be the string of onions round it's neck.

they are normally the ones taking an early exit from the cover and/or flying no where near where they are meant to go !

If you can hear them when they get up they have a different call.

Latest posts

Back