Choke design and steel shot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Socrates

As a newcomer to sporting clays, it was inevitable that I looked at aftermarket chokes. (I got that monkey of my shoulder really quick. I'm spending money on ammo and coaching instead)

Müller, Teague, Briley etc make certain promises/claims/statements with regard to their chosen choke design, and why their chokes give an edge to the shooter. Unless I'm mistaken, these choke designs are the result of trying to figure out how to make lead shot pattern consistently. 

If there is a noticeable difference between the factory and aftermarket chokes with lead shot, will these differences be noticeable with steel shot as well? It seems that each choke design tries to solve lead pellet deformation which causes erratic patterning. Since steel is less prone to deformation, would there be any noticeable difference in pattern consistency between the different choke manufactures? 

As a newcomer to sporting clays, it was inevitable that I looked at aftermarket chokes. (I got that monkey of my shoulder really quick. I'm spending money on ammo and coaching instead)

Müller, Teague, Briley etc make certain promises/claims/statements with regard to their chosen choke design, and why their chokes give an edge to the shooter. Unless I'm mistaken, these choke designs are the result of trying to figure out how to make lead shot pattern consistently. 

If there is a noticeable difference between the factory and aftermarket chokes with lead shot, will these differences be noticeable with steel shot as well? It seems that each choke design tries to solve lead pellet deformation which causes erratic patterning. Since steel is less prone to deformation, would there be any noticeable difference in pattern consistency between the different choke manufactures? 

It’s not as simple as just deformation. Depending on wad and propellant characteristics, the pellets interfere with each other (mainly the rear ones hitting the front ones) and cause the spread, so even perfect pellets will develop into a pattern which in theory can be affected by choke. 

This could lead to the fabled 'can of worms' that most forums have at times 😁

If there is a noticeable difference between the factory and aftermarket chokes with lead shot
Big If - depending on what brand, gun, cartridge and so on. At least you've decided on what selection of chokes to use : ) 

Big If - depending on what brand, gun, cartridge and so on. At least you've decided on what selection of chokes to use : ) 
I shot at Baerlebosch two weeks ago - it was a humbling experience. :)

I want to see about getting to Aalten once a week for practice. Just ordered another Browning Modified choke to go with the one I have. I'm pretty sure that I'm overthinking this. :) I'll just shoot what I have for the next year and get some coaching. 

Is JST Waalsdorp on your list yet? Pretty good opportunities for coaching there- feel free to PM if you'd like details / experiences. 

I am equally prone to overthinking and purchase on related whims... But I'm sticking mainly to skeet which makes for less options in some regard. Still have plenty more follies to chase, but am enjoying same so I'll allow some monkeys on my back for now. 

Latest posts

Back