Hornet FSP - 24th Feb - Back to earth with a thud!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
After a good PB last week, back to earth with a bit of a thud this week at a frigid and bracing Hornet.

10.15 start for me - good squad, starting on the wood layout - on the North side of the club house.  Couple of decent birds, and a couple of edge on eyetests, including a fast flat edge on bird at distance that dived into the bank, and a high teal from the side that was really tricky.  Later pegs saw this as a fast, rising teal that needed a boatload of gunspeed to get above. 

Second layout was the clubhouse - with a fierce battue and again, a couple of edge on, diving birds that were a race to the ground. especially one off the low tower which was an eye test, followed by a quick move to get underneath it. I didn't.

Third for us was the two towers with a huge looper and a fearsome teal off the tower which I didn't get close to. A good rabbit which caused some hilarity shot edge on when it came in really close and had people missing all around it, needed to be taken on early to get some pattern.   Another tower bird that dived to the ground was a super test on the final peg, as well as the teal off the tower which really needed some respect - a 6.5 helped as well.

Final layout was the pen,  including the platform stand... another couple of fast & flat crossers, a nice booming crosser and a driven/going away bird that either needed quick hands & eyes or patience for the going away.  

All in all, not a bad shoot. For me, a few too many eyesight tests and a  three of four birds that could have been set up to travel upwards a little bit - over compensating for a very wind affected shoot last time I think.  However, as always a great squad and well run all day, with the usual crowded, warm club house with plenty of laughter in the breaks. Great fun.

My scorecard - 14, 11, 14, 16 for a well below par 55 - I hate the cold, and today was brutal for me - despite thermals + layers and a big coat in between pegs, I could not get warmed up and consequently suffered.   I was definitely 3/4/5 light on each layout just to not being warm and relaxed.  No excuses though, it was cold to everyone - I need to figure out how to deal with it better!

Sounds Brutal, 6.5 cartridges - I don't even carry them. Is there any fun to be had with these extreme eyesight tests?  Did anyone hit them?  The whole thing seemed gruelling judging by your descripton, and that's without adding in the cold.

Tim

I enjoyed the test, and yes - some of the better shots on my squad hit many of them... some great shots there...

Well if you enjoyed it that's the main thing and if you can see others hit these tricky targets then that does give you encouragement I find. 

Seems as though there's some great shoots out there but they're mostly a long way from Suffolk.

I have to say in defence of the target setters at hornet and all grounds at this time of year, we've shot this ground 4/5 times in the winter series.

Setting targets in the winter you have lots to consider will it be sunny in that case the targets have to set lower on some layouts.

Will it be blowing a gale this can ruin a shoot as we well know.What i'm trying to say is trying to keep layouts intresting and varied is very difficult this time of year.

On the day the targets were set the two orange targets of the towers looked like dustbin lids?.

There was one target on the pen(midi)this was a hands up got it wrong think you only got it in the singles?on peg 2.

I know Matt your not knocking the shoot,and as you said the more experienced shots can hit them?.

Matt, stick at  FITASCO for a bit longer and you will learn pick up points for these targets and  you'll be one of  shots that hits them.If a blind old git like me can hit the odd one i'm sure you will. :hunter:

Elvis - completely agree, not knocking it at all - this was one of the harder ones for me, but on my squad and across the board there were some great scores.  That edge on midi on the pen was a toughie - invisible till it reached the trees and then not much time before it was a tough ask - but I did hit it strangely, I thought the C-bird crossing right to left belly up against a dark background was harder - especially from Peg 3 when it was curling away and dropping.  Hard in the raff-pair from the platform (hit 1) and then even harder in the single and double from the final peg - tricky to find, tricky to get a leeed picture.

I think Kev gets it right most of the time, on what is a tricky old piece of land - the last one out was really wind affected, and I know that he had this on his mind as he set this one out. Bring on the summer when we are all out in shorts moaning about the sun!

Definitely not complaining - I know there is MUCH more for me to learn :startle:  , gun hold positions, where to look, and where to shoot the targets in the doubles - and while I am doing that, I am still loving the FITASC journey!

Good to see you as well Elvis - you were out ahead of me all the way round so I didn't get a chance to say hi.

Matt,I'm sure Kev will appreciate your coments but he did get some flak about edge on targets,but don't you think FITASC is about all targets thats why we had tower birds going down, long looper at 65yrds that showed all the clay there were 5 vets and 1 senr in our sqoud all hit it from peg 3 single or dble?(tower layout)one guy shot a 24 missed the dolly incomer for 25 .Some guy went home said he didn't come to shoot edge on clays? 13x25?. What is your interpretation of FITASC targets it would be good to get some feed back from some one like you who will  give constructive criticism as a newcomer to FITASC.This goes for all that shot it,i no Kev looks in don't you :crazy:

Hi Elvis, I shot it at the same time as Matt but on a different squad. Started shooting Fitasc at the same time as Matt, so also a newcomer. I also thought it was a tough shoot (for a D class like myself), but then Fitasc is a tough discipline. Personally I enjoyed the shoot, the mix of targets was pretty good, although as already mentioned, would have liked to see a few less edge on targets. Not because they're difficult to hit, more because they're difficult to see! There were a few birds that were a real eyesight test, and I had a lot of difficulty picking them up early enough. The edge on dropper on the tower layout was a real pain, the whole squad struggled to see it before it hit the ground, making it a slash and hope sort of shot.

I like the long targets, provided I can see the clay. Overall I'de be happy to go back and shoot at them again, preferably when it didn't feel like it was - 10C.

Elvis - absolutely agree, FITASC is all about targets and variety of targets - I did see the couple of guys that went home - that's a shame, because whilst it was a test - it wasn't off the scale, I shot a bit under my average, but didn't feel that was down to the targets - more about my ability to hit them! As Bob says, there were a couple of edge on birds, but I hit some and missed some. Would love to have had a few more of each to improve my read and skills.  There were also plenty of full face/belly targets that were really hittable - I think maybe two or three targets I would have liked to adjust, but others hit them - so it probably says more about my ability than the course setter.

In terms of my overall view - I like it when a peg has a decent combination of targets - a tough/distant one or two, a medium one or two and one that you should always hit - the doubles should test you from the perspective of changing your hold and/or kill points to suit the pair.   On balance, I think Kev gets it right best not big him up too much!

I think this is in the rules as well - the A-Grade, B-Grade and C-Grade targets - so I think they are being applied and I like that.  

For me, the test in FITASC is a) switching concentration on and off between pegs B) having the ability to change and switch styles to cater for the targets and c) reading the variety of targets you'll get.  

BTW - I think going home halfway through is a cop-out... I was 25 ex 50 for the first two - but leaving is a no-no because I want to beat that in the afternoon - I was 30 ex 50 for the second two... still not good enough, but better enough to send me home happier than if I had given up.

Giving in is for wimps.

I started FITASC to shoot the hardest targets against the best shooters - I'm better than I was, but I know its a LONG apprenticeship.

Elvis - yes, I do look in, what we are trying do at these shoots is make them interesting as possible with a good mix of different targets for levels of ability, it would be all to easy to play it safe with looper from the left and a looper from the right showing full belly.

But in my opinion we are not going to learn a lot from throwing such targets as Elvis said your pick up points are so important for these harder targets.

Thanks for all your comments which I do take on board and I do appreciate the constructive criticism.

I'll keep going at it, maybe I might produce the perfect course one day!   

There wasn't much wrong with the last one Kev, they were all there to be hit.

Matt said "I started FITASC to shoot the hardest targets against the best shooters - I'm better than I was, but I know its a LONG apprenticeship." ditto to that.

I worked hard for the 65 that I hit, threw away half a dozen or more so would have liked to be in the 70s, next time maybe...and that's why I'll be back for more :)

Kev - thanks for looking in - as I said, please don't think it was criticism of you - more a review of my ability in tough conditions.

Great shoot, as always - and a great day. It was a tough one, but a fair one.

As always - I'll be back for the next one!

Thanks Bob/Matt,

Next FITASC was to be on the 24th March, but because that date clashes with a FITASC Selection shoot I have changed it to the 31st March.

100 ESP at Hornet is on the 10th March, might as well plug that one while I'm here. 

First one I cannot make - I'll be in Marrakech with the Mrs...  but stick me in for the next one.

Really enjoyed this shoot Kevin thought it was a good mixture of targets and a good learning curve. It was good company to shoot on your squad too.

Latest posts

Back