Horne, Gatton Bottom 27.8.12

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hewland

Went for a bank holiday bash at Horne today. I know, not the best shoot in the world, (before you all start..) but the nearest registered to me today and I had to be home early..

Nothing strange or startling to report, as it was a fairly usual event there. The notable element was that it was packed! I estimate their biggest entry ever? Took 2 hours to get round and you can often whizz it in a hour if you start early. I was with mate Tony, plus we met Hamid (Hamster) there, then we whizzed up to the far end, missing a good few empty stands as we went. D`oh! About 40 shooters crowded at the far end with the same idea..

Hamid shot a stonking 95, with me and Tony trailing that well on 88. (I confess to a bit of lucky scoring..) Exactly as yesterday, I overlead half the targets on my first stand. An annoying new habit I need to break. In fairness, the targets at Horne look easier than they actually score. Lots of edge on aways in various directions are very missable, with precision and focus being tested.

Anyway, the one thing that occurred to us as we drove home was that Horne is possibly the best ground we know of for trap reliability and lack of no-birds. Didn't occur to me before, but today would have been a nightmare had there been any break-downs. They must put the effort in with the traps, fair play.

CSC3

Nice shooting with both of you, it was packed wasn't it. I enjoyed most of the stands, one or three could have caused real trouble if you weren't careful. Shame about the hand thrown pair again :yell: , this stand could so easily be spiced up if they throw a midi/std or mini/midi combo sideways; it would take no effort. :)

It hadn't occurred to me about the slickness of operation but you're right, you don't seem to notice any hold ups even to fill up the traps.

95 on a sporting shoot is top going, regardless of what it was like. nice going hammy

Bet it will not break them if they are edge on ......

Bet it will not break them if they are edge on ......
I agree, they're pretty marginal on edge on rabbits, even 7.5's can be a poor choice on a very edge on rabbit much closer than 50 yards.

People .....never go low (9 shot) hoping for the spread on rabbits ........ Rabbit clays are thicker and hard. You need maximum impact......True story!!

(whack a 7.5 in)

Last edited:
I emailed Horne. Apparently their web people are on hols, hence no scores up. All I know is that the HG was 97 and that my 88 gave a three way tie for 2nd in A, which was won on 91.

CSC3

Went for a bank holiday bash at Horne today. I know, not the best shoot in the world, (before you all start..) but the nearest registered to me today and I had to be home early..

CSC3
Mr Digweed must like it, his facebook page says he straited it...........is he one of the club shooters?

Back