highwaymans esp

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ickle47

what a great new venue good targets nice ground and clubhouse.

will definitely be going back

Thoroughly enjoyed this shoot today - what a brilliant ground and targets with lovey clubhouse.  And I ask you, where else can you spend a Sunday shooting, viewing artwork in the gallery whilst drinking coffee and eating delicious cake,  AND buy a new handbag all at the same venue??  OK, maybe the handbags may not appeal to most of the men but the shoot certainly worth a visit.   They even laid on sunshine too - it really did have it all!  

Heard a few mentions of what a brilliant double it would be with Barrow as about 1/2 a mile between the two grounds - would be just perfect and perhaps make it worth while a few who have to travel that bit further making the journey?

Good to hear of new shooting grounds with the chance of getting a new Cath Kidston and getting positive feedback from shooters

"what a brilliant double it would be with Barrow"

Sometimes we may need to be careful what we wish for?

I can see the point but of course not every shooter, and possibly even a majority of shooters, can afford two shoots on one day especially if both husband/wife or father/son shoot together for example.

I am certainly not too proud to admit that these days the cost of shooting is something I can no longer be too cavalier about, and with both Pam and I shooting we now limit ourselves pretty much to one comp per weekend. For us to shoot say Barrow Heath or Southdown or Greenfields, we are looking at a spend of approx £195 and to then consider the possibility of another approx £125 for entries and carts for a second shoot makes a total spend of approx £320 unacceptable except for odd occasions. And that is providing both shoots are done in one day and not considering overnight accommodation costs.

Furthermore, because a majority will probably not be able to afford it, it also means that shooters will be forced to split their loyalties between the two shoots and the result of that is ultimately that BOTH SHOOTS will be down on their entries and income.

From a personal point of view, it makes sense for them to actually avoid each other's dates so that each ground can make the most of their entry potential?

Both are definitely worth a visit though. I shoot BH very regularly and the FITASC at Highwaymans recently was also very enjoyable and we have already booked into their next one on 23rd March.

I wish both clubs every success but in my opinion, which is obviously biased and selfish, I hope they don't start to clash in the future !

Last edited by a moderator:
Geurini Guy I totally respect what you say there, of course there are a number of shooters who will only shoot one shoot for various reasons. 

However I do know that when I wrote about Barrow previously it was commented on here and in discussions with people other places , that it's a long way for a large number of shooters and I was merely wondering if the two together would encourage people to try these very good grounds.  I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for dividing peoples loyalties with this suggestion....It was also a comment I heard on Sunday from others at the shoot. 

So I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one - from my personal point of view the two would be just great.  But I do agree with you wholeheartedly in wishing both grounds every success in the future. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with Emma.

Whilst I don't often do two shoots, where it is a long drive (which Barrow is for me) I like to get the most out if my fuel and get two shoots done - particularly in areas of the country I do not shoot very often! If two shoots are close, it gives shooters a less stressful rush between shoots and means they can try a couple of new grounds.

To my knowledge, there are a significant number of grounds that benefit from being close to another ground. Northampton/sporting targets grange farm/ Orston are all common pairings. In the old skeet days, Oxton and Nottingham benefitted from their close proximity.

Furthermore, the opportunity to do two shoots one weekend on one day means that I will have another full weekend without shooting another weekend to stay within the budget.

No one would want to see grounds suffer from shooters splitting loyalties, but I wouldn't expect this to be the case - I suspect there would be greater interest!

"You can buy a handbag there? What kind of SG is this!"

​This is starting to sound compulsory, as Pam ended up getting one too on our first visit !

I shot at Highwaymans yesterday and it was a fantastic shoot, the weather did help as it is set over quite a large area so didn't mind being out in the sun!

As a regular at barrow heath across the road, I did notice a lot of the referees also ref at barrow so this may be an issue having both on the same day???

I shot at Highwaymans yesterday and it was a fantastic shoot, the weather did help as it is set over quite a large area so didn't mind being out in the sun!

As a regular at barrow heath across the road, I did notice a lot of the referees also ref at barrow so this may be an issue having both on the same day???
Good point - and as both shoots had unquestionable decision making I wouldn't want to see that compromised.

Latest posts

Back