High rib trap guns

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

I have noticed quite a few people using the half high and High ribbed trap guns down here... to very good effect. I think the main benefit must be the higher head position but I have heard it said that it is also gives an advantage in picking up the target better than a flat rib. I really do like the idea of a higher head position and certainly watching a guy using a high ribbed Perazzi he was looking straight ahead no head down at all. I am reluctant however to pursue a gun mainly because I never see any of the really top trap shooters using this type of gun... valid reason to dismiss the idea or are they worth having a try out ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed quite a few people using the half high and High ribbed trap guns down here... to very good effect. I think the main benefit must be the higher head position but I have heard it said that it is also gives an advantage in picking up the target better than a flat rib. I really do like the idea of a higher head position and certainly watching a guy using a high ribbed Perazzi he was looking straight ahead no head down at all. I am reluctant however to pursue a gun mainly because I never see any of the really top trap shooters using this type of gun... valid reason to dismiss the idea or are they worth having a try out ?
They seem popular in Double Trap amongst the top competitors from what I've seen. There must be a reason?  Not wanting to hijack a thread but can anybody explain why in their answer to jwpzx9r?

Well now many threads on the topic. Main benefit is better vision around barrels and as you say john head up position.

Imo unless you use the look through the barrel technique there is in reality very little advantage as the draw back from my experience is when you miss its difficult to know why or were. I have had two and shot a few others, great for dtl not so for fast trap. As you say very few top ot shooters use them which tells you something. Better to stick with flat rib and monte carlo if you want head up, imo.

I think I will ask one of the high rib users for a try and see what the gun shoots like but of course the problem is it will be set up for the person who shoots the gun ! I really do like the idea of the high head position though it looks very comfortable. I asked one of the shall well say "better shooters" last week what he thought of high ribs and he was quite dismissive of them... he shoots a DT10 flat rib :) never seen a top trap shooter use one was his comment...which for OT is true I suppose!

They are far more comfy to shoot imo no straining of the neck much better target acquisition but you must be able to shoot high hold as they were intended for if you cannot shoot like that they are of no benefit. As you say better to try one first. I have considered going back to one myself as a do naturally have a high hold. Will see how this season pans out.

I have just got a high rib gun for sporting so will let ya know tomorrow
Bet it is not a real high rib.

This is a real high rib.

ohoif9.jpg

And this is one for a side by side

2j14w7t.jpg

I cannot see you using these for sporting so is it a half high rib like an MK6000?

What make and type is it Chubby.....hope you have fun with it today.

I had a couple of 682x's for dtl many years ago and they worked well enough,but they were known ad stepped ribs in those days and not as high as some you see now. They worked no better than a flat rib in my case. You can actually get a higher sort of head position by mounting a gun higher in the shoulder and it reduces neck strain.The method was shown to me many years ago and I've used it ever since,not had a neck problem since, it can also reduce head lifting and getting comb smack.

Nic that is the same Perazzi as one of the shooters at the club uses I think its an MX2005 ? Lovely piece of kit anyway!

The MX2005 i thought was easy to shoot. i just shot it as i would my MX8. All the differences were calculated to be that way.

However The MX2000/3 is the mid rib where the rib is adjustable at both ends of the barrel. (See picture below) and it was one of the few guns that i have had that I chopped in because I could not settle to getting the rib right....or what I thought was right....or what I wanted.

Nice gun though for those how to use them.

1z6z2fm.jpg

Nic its a Geurini Ascent so about the same height as the MX2000/3.
Ah mid rib. Makes sense (I did not think it would be the high rib (mainly only works well in double trap.)

Hope you enjoy :wink:

I found it hard work for sporting as you cannot cant the barrel at all and if it does not fit (mine) you will lose the line of the targets.

You also have to be very disciplined so that you do not keep looking at the rib. But If I stay with it I would need to reduce the Palm swell (I think this pulled me off line) and shorten the stock.

The good thing was that I now do not have a stiff neck or shoulder so for that it worked.

This gun does really reduce recoil by keeping my head up.

You have to stick at it, from my experience you will not gel with a high rib straight away you need to re learn a few things. I wouldn't alter anything for at least a few months.

You have to stick at it, from my experience you will not gel with a high rib straight away you need to re learn a few things. I wouldn't alter anything for at least a few months.
Apart from adding an Isis if it has not already got one.

Back