High rib technique

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyosk

Following on from the high rib thread there was a lot of talk about the technique required to shoot a high rib gun.

The consensus of opinion seems to en that they offer far better visibility of the target. If that is the case why do they need a different technique to shoot them ?

Thanks

Depends on the discipline I suppose but if were talking trap for example DTL, to get the best out of a high rib is to use a high gun hold, you then look down through the rib to the exit point or in other words to the trap house lip, you therefore see the target early (which you couldn't do as well with a flat rib as the barrel would obscure most of it) but your barrel is already on the correct horizontal plane, you then just wait for the target to pop up above the rib and minimal sideways movement and jobs done. imo if you shoot a high rib the same as a flat rib (and hold on or close to the mark) then all you will gain is a head up position, it is my opinion that a high hold is essential in order to get the most out of it. There not for everyone and the above technique does take some getting used to but of course some people seem happy just to have the head up advantage.

Only my opinion of course but for the record I have had high rib guns in the past and was shown the above technique by one of the best DTL coaches in the UK.

Thanks IPS I've been trying the look down approach, it does take a bit of getting used to initially. Thanks for the thoughts

Your welcome, patients is the key imo see it wait wait bang.

I used to shoot a high rib beretta and had a high gun hold, then went to a flat rib zoli Kronos but kept the same high gun hold point, now I shoot a Perazzi RSR (reverse slope rib) and still keep a high gun hold, it works for me whatever rib I have had, seems that if I hold low or on the trap house I jump at the targets, see the target before moving!!

Me too, never been able to shoot anything other than high hold for similar reasons to you.

When you go to a new ground do you always start the gun at the same height above then edge of the trench ? Or do you start with a horizontal gun whether your shooting over a trench or trap house ?

I always shoot high and never drop down on the trap lid, like I say I have a high position to stop me jumping at the targets, it works for me but we are all different, a lot of people say they have a different hold heights when the light is bright or dull, just try different hold points to see which suits you

I'm a high holder on OT/UT/ABT. Blocks out the target for the first few yards, then When I do see the clay rise above the gun it's a whole clay rather than a flash/streak. Tried a high (ish) rib a few times, felt it did indeed improve target visibility below the gun, which I then decided was defeating the object of why I hold high and have stuck with a flat rib! Head up feels nice enough, but feel a bit to detached from the gun with the really extreme rib heights like mx2008's.

Absolutely agree with all that sid says. I have said before that high rib works for dtl but personally never been able to cope with fast trap. The relatively few high rib users on fast trap kind of tells us something.

I've tended to find the opposite that a high rib gun feels a bit more natural and comfortable in the shoulder than flat rib. Mind you never tried a P gun my experience is purely browning and miroku.

Ito add a little more into the thinking I have a strong suspicion that the extra weight of a rib makes for a smoother swing ? Maybe rubbish but feels more controlled somehow. Could it be related to wait to shoot faster ?

Whatever works and feels right to you is generally correct. But only if it works.

And there endeth todays lesson. That will be 250 quid, your welcome.

For that much money I'd expect the answer to "should I have a high bead on my high rib" ?

Fare point, ok call it a straight 100

Latest posts

Back