High Rib for Sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbob 2705

Out of interest, does anyone on here use a High Rib for Sporting?

Just wondering what the general thoughts are, obviously two sides to it

I know the Pros and Cons of each, but just wondering what people have experienced and found...

Many Thanks

James

If that is your inclination, then why not try one and make your own mind up. At least that way the decision will be yours and NOT a fashion statement.

I bought a Caesar Guerini summit ascent about a month or so back, which is a mid rib rather than a full on high rib but still high I guess.

It is advertised as a flat shooting 50/50 pattern, never patterned it but it does seem to shoot flat.

The main reason I got it was my stupid fault of lifting my head on some targets.

It seems to have cured my head lift and I do seem more consistent in my mount, whether that's the solely down to the rib or the stock of the gun helping I don't know.

The gun being designed to sit lower in the shoulder with the head higher seems to suit my build & bringing the gun up to the cheek is easier. Also now that I don't have to drop my head before I mount it stops my other bad habits of occasionally rolling my head or mounting the gun too high in the shoulder. I didn't do all these bad habits shot after shot but I know when the day was done they had cost me targets when I just didn't concentrate.

I tired the full on high rib at a CG open day and didn't like it at all and the misses proved it so I personally think you can go too far with the height.

As far as scores my first shoot was a FITASC and I put in the same score as as my normal rib.

For registered sporting I have shot 3 registered shoots at 3 different grounds with an 80,83 & 88.

Last week I shot a 50 bird sportrap non registered for 40 ex 50

So am happy with how it's going.

Obviously I am just an A class sporting shooter and I do feel it helps with my inconsistent incompetence. If I was a consistent AA or AAA shooter then I wouldn't screw up as much and the benefits over a normal rib would be zero or even a disadvantage.

So in short it's helping me be more consistent rather than anything else but that could also be achieved by me not being a nob and learning how to shoot consistently .

Or it could be that it's nothing to do with the gun but I just learnt to be more focused in the last few shoots who knows but I do prefer shooting it which is all that matters.

Just my thoughts for you

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the mid rib jobs such as the Summit are very adaptable and unlikely to bite badly in any one area, the proper high ribber though is not a realistic ESP tool in my view. If it was you'd see them in famous hands.

As Timps above really.
I shoot a mid fixed rib Caesar Guerini Summit Ascent.
Used to shoot a Mirook.
I changed my head position to suit and found that after fitting the gun and I worked very well.
There's a few shooters using the full hi rib guns for sporting. Adam Curtis shoots his CG Maxum Impact very well.

CG has a range of mid rib guns with The Sunmit The Invictus and now The Apex.

Worth a look.

Ooh high rib thread 6

If you were to look at gun fit from a purely practical approach the head up position HAS to be beneficial for vision for ones comfort and long term health as craning your neck down onto the comb is not natural or good for you long term imo.

If a designer was to start from scratch with no knowledge if guns I bet he or she would design a HR

So why have high rib not taken over the world ?

Thanks all, really appreciate all your opinions.

I'm talking about lower ribs, say something like 1/2", none of these Eiffel tower type things haha

Many Thanks

James

While they haven’t taken over the world there are some high calibre American shooters using the mid height rib for sporting Gebben Miles, Jon Kruger & Bill McGuire just to name a few.

You will either love it or hate it & that’s the beauty of the CG open days, dry mounting in a shop tells you nothing.

I dry mounted the Ascent it felt good, I shot at targets and they vaporised (albeit not the hardest targets in the world). I dry mounted the Impact it also felt good, I thought yep I can shoot this, wrong I was missing stuff and had to find them.

Yes I had a fantastic view of the target but I hadn’t a clue where my gun was or why I was missing. I no doubt could have learnt to shoot it but the question to me was why would I put myself through that process when the Ascent worked from the start and these weren’t exactly testing targets just have a go targets.

I also got the chance to shoot a few tasty targets at a reg sport trap that I was missing or inconsistent with using my DT10, I nailed the lot of them with a borrowed Ascent hence why I now own one.

The point I am making is if the Impact was too much for me then the Ascent could be too much for others. The Ascent suits my body shape and shooting style but I have always needed a high comb and the slightly raised rib goes with that. I can imagine other shooters who like a low comb hating my gun with a passion.

I will honestly tell you it works for me but I will not disagree with anyone who tries one and says it’s not for them.  

But I do believe you need to try one on a few different targets before making your mind up though.

Ooh high rib thread 6

If you were to look at gun fit from a purely practical approach the head up position HAS to be beneficial for vision for ones comfort and long term health as craning your neck down onto the comb is not natural or good for you long term imo.

If a designer was to start from scratch with no knowledge if guns I bet he or she would design a HR

So why have high rib not taken over the world ?
Ian, a mate of mine (ianinpoole) on this forum has a lovely K80 Protrap. I tried it the other week and I do understand the head up bit. But having always shot flat, stepped or ramped ribs I was shocked at how different it feels to shoot a high rib. I felt like I was almost standing above the gun and I felt sort of detached from it in a way! It did feel very comfortable though and target aquisition seems a bit faster. But as a habitual neck craner it did not stop me doing it! Old habits die hard Ian, but I guess I could get used to one if pushed! Ian shoots the Prorib very well though!!!

If high ribs where the way shotguns had always been made since the distant past, we would be discussing the strange feel and terrible visibility of these new flat rib things on the market.

tiroVesti seamless performance clothing.

I recently moved from a Beretta 682 gold E to a CG Summit Impact sporting. Is that high rib or mid rib?

I do know that I was never comfortable shooting my beretta.  I dipped my head to put it on my stock, which caused me to be hunched over everything.  I lifted my head to look for targets, & never hit going away stuff.

It hasn't been a miracle cure, but i'm much more comfortable shooting it. Crossers are improving, I can hit going away now too.  I was OK at driven with my old gun and for a while was terrible with my new one, but adjusting to the completely different sight picture takes time. 

I definitely get to stand up more, mount into my cheek easier, and not have to contort my body to use it.  I'm looking forward to the journey and improving with it.

I recently moved from a Beretta 682 gold E to a CG Summit Impact sporting. Is that high rib or mid rib?

I do know that I was never comfortable shooting my beretta. I dipped my head to put it on my stock, which caused me to be hunched over everything. I lifted my head to look for targets, & never hit going away stuff.
Your Beretta didn't fit you...

I do know that I was never comfortable shooting my beretta.  I dipped my head to put it on my stock, which caused me to be hunched over everything.  I lifted my head to look for targets, & never hit going away stuff.

It hasn't been a miracle cure, but i'm much more comfortable shooting it. Crossers are improving, I can hit going away now too.  I was OK at driven with my old gun and for a while was terrible with my new one, but adjusting to the completely different sight picture takes time. 

I definitely get to stand up more, mount into my cheek easier, and not have to contort my body to use it.  I'm looking forward to the journey and improving with it.
Its interesting that you mention Driven, this is the only target that I feel disadvantaged on when shooting Sporting with a high rib, especially if it's a slightly quartering one, that doesn't quite justify being shot side on.

tiroVesti seamless performance clothing.

all guns made should have adj comb for gun fit ,  I prefer monte carlo    but not many about ,  we should  mount gun to cheek  not visa versa .    only my opinion .!

My High Rib Perazzi for Compak and Sporting :nyam:

wlsdc01UserDataHomeFoldersmartinMy PicturesMC MX12DSC00602.JPG

My High Rib for Sporting

post-388-0-55349800-1426780058.jpg

post-388-0-55349800-1426780058.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00602.JPG
    DSC00602.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back