High rib for sporting? Will it be ok?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dibs

I had a good clear out for 2013 and now have one clay gun which is a Beretta 682 gold EX trap. Its the latest one with the high rib.

I like a gun which shoots on the high side and the weight of a trap gun. I have set it up so its shooting pretty std.

I was going to buy a new sporter this month but looked around and I want to save a bit more cash into the gun fund for an "as new"gun rather than an older used K80.

Any thoughts on shooting this for sporting for a few months. Am I putting myself at a disadvantage? When I pick it up I think no it feels fine and if I'm aware how it shoots will it be ok? Any thoughts appreciated.

I like this gun but could chop it in for a decent sporter if need be for a six months. Although tempted to shoot it as familiar to me.

Cheers

Dibs

Bob P shoots a high rib K80, Pet Easton shoots a gold E x-trap and if I remember right Eds K80 has a raised step rib? doesnt do them any harm and if it fits you and you have confidence in it, shoot it :)

Ive never shot a high rib at sporting so you confirm my thoughts - thanks alot. Ive put the latest DT11 sporting pad on it and feels good so will give it a run.

Cheers

Dibs

I used to have one when I had a dabble in the dark art of trap, to be honest I wish I had sold the browning 325 when times became a bit tough instead, dont tell the rest of those Beretta boys but I keep having a sneaky peak at them now and again on gun trader :lol:

Ive been drawn into the cult for a few months - maybe longer!. A place I was never going to go :) but can't deny they are a well built lovely gun! (it's a keeper even when I buy my new one).

I have been told though that I need to wear a dress when I shoot a Beretta so on the look out for a Beretta red and blue number!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been drawn into the cult for a few months - maybe longer!. A place I was never going to go :) but can't deny they are a well built lovely gun! (it's a keeper even when I buy my new one).

I have been told though that I need to wear a dress when I shoot a Beretta so on the look out for a Beretta red and blue number!
I've got a nice cotton one for the summer and a very good fleecey/flannellette one for the winter keeps me toasty warm.

M&S do a good range. ;)   :D

I've got a nice cotton one for the summer and a very good fleecey/flannellette one for the winter keeps me toasty warm.

M&S do a good range. ;) :D
Top job! I knew a fellow Beretta man would understand my dilemma. :)

The only real issue would be it's POI, if it shoots where you look then it would be absolutely fine, maybe even better than the low rib version in certain scenarios. But if it shoots 8" high then I can see it causing problems. 

ps. I'd love to have a go with one as they look so purposeful.

I tried to get on with a 682 Gold X Trap, the one with the high rib for sporting and found it hard work.  The gun handled well and was nice to shoot.

The sight picture was all wrong for me on some targets though, I would say that if you had not shot for years with flat rib guns like I have, you might find it ok though.

I found mine handled ok but it was not for me so I swapped it for a flat rib K80 trap gun, but changed the barrel hanger so it shoots where I look.

Here's an article on high ribs http://www.clayshootingusa.com/html/archive/feb_mar12/High%20Rib%20Sporter.pdf

Bob P shoots a high rib K80, Pet Easton shoots a gold E x-trap and if I remember right Eds K80 has a raised step rib? doesnt do them any harm and if it fits you and you have confidence in it, shoot it :)
ed's is the same as mine, they are standard height (not raised) but with the first 4 or so inches cut off.

Thanks folks.

Think I will try and get out this week and break some clays and see where it's shooting and tweak it as necessary. They are supposed to shoot quite flat if you want them to so hopefully if I mess around with some clays and tight chokes I can see where the main bulk of the pattern is. I'm interested now how it goes so will have a go over the next few local shoots and see how it shapes up.

Hamster If our paths ever cross you would be more than welcome to have a few stands with it.

Yes they do shoot flat for a trap gun. Set at the usual figure of eight bead alignment you wont be more than 60 - 40 % poa having said that i believe poa / poi to be irrelevant to a degree as its all to do with target perception and acquisition and we are all different on that matter. After much messing with many guns over the years i have concluded that a couple of mm here or there on comb height makes very little difference in reality it just messes your head up thinking about it.

I know nothing about sporting but cant see shooting this particular gun to be a problem if your used to it.

I may have got this wrong but the Berretta in question has a raised but ramped rib so you have that built in lead for trap which will require you shooting under the target. I have the same thing on my 3200 which makes it tricky shooting sporting or at least I have found it so.

Phil

Yeh it is a raised rib but unlike the dt10x its pretty much parallel so it shoots quite flat. The dt x is a different beast as i have eluded to in previous posts that does have built in lead as you refer to it.

Well to report back i struggled! and missed easy clays.

Absolutely baffling on some of them which i would hit everytime usually.

After a bit of working out it is indeed shooting pretty much flat with the comb right down and i found myself shooting under stuff! as my head was telling me i should get under it a bit when in fact i should have shot it normally!

It might be a battle i cant be bothered to put the time into which is frustrating as fit wise its feels perfect which made it even more puzzling!

The phrase keep it simple stupid springs to mind.

The lightest distraction makes me miss. Just thinking about the gun can make you slow down, or look at the barrels. The POI may be perfect technically, but you need to be thinking 'clay' not 'gun'.

From what little experience I have had with a high rib sporter, I felt it brought nothing to the party and was at best a marketing ploy..

Well to report back i struggled! and missed easy clays. Absolutely baffling on some of them which i would hit everytime usually. After a bit of working out it is indeed shooting pretty much flat with the comb right down and i found myself shooting under stuff! as my head was telling me i should get under it a bit when in fact i should have shot it normally! It might be a battle i cant be bothered to put the time into which is frustrating as fit wise its feels perfect which made it even more puzzling! The phrase keep it simple stupid springs to mind.
Definitely been there and done that, the thing with a high rib gun or one where you see a lot of rib is that you keep thinking it must shoot high so you compensate. In my experience very few guns actually shoot high enough to be able to bead clays with but now that you know it might be worth a few more outings to see how you progress.

Very true. Exactly what I did. In my head I was thinking this will shoot high so gave it some when it didn't need it!

Will be out Friday again to see if I can banish the mind games in my head! If so all should be well I hope.

Latest posts

Back