Here it is...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ca,nt we just shoot and enjoy it without all this bollocks

like rosso said it ain't rocket science theres enough to worry about like which choke and 

what colour glasses to wear
exactly...

this is why after many years of faffing I now have none adj fairly flat gun fixed choke no hat clear lens. Keep things simple at all times.

exactly...

this is why after many years of faffing I now have none adj fairly flat gun fixed choke no hat clear lens. Keep things simple at all times.
Yes and I now have a gun that offers the possibility to change any bloody thing I like! It's a fiddlers dream!!! But do I fiddle, do I hell, yes I tried a few things when I first got it, then after a week or so I just left it all alone. So in effect I may as well have a fixed choke, fixed barrel, fixed stock, fixed everything gun!  It works well enough.......when I look in the right place!  :D

I agree with Ian (Lawrence). You can't argue with maths.

A millimetre hear of there makes very little difference, as the example above, which is based on a difference of only 0.79mm (1/32 inch) change in comb height although can't say I agree with the dimension from eye to bead of 44 inches (1117.6mm). I think 1000mm (39 inches) is more realistic (based on 31.5 inch barrels and the eye 8 inches behind). Obviously if the eye to barrel distance is more or less then the numbers change again. Same for barrel length.

I knocked 5mm (1/5th inch) off my comb because it was shooting high (don't ask how it came to be so high) which dropped the POI by 202mm (8 inches) at 36.54 metres (40 yards). The gun now shoots about 70/30.

I still miss um though :rolleyes:

DT

I agree with Ian (Lawrence). You can't argue with maths.

A millimetre hear of there makes very little difference, as the example above, which is based on a difference of only 0.79mm (1/32 inch) change in comb height although can't say I agree with the dimension from eye to bead of 44 inches (1117.6mm). I think 1000mm (39 inches) is more realistic (based on 31.5 inch barrels and the eye 8 inches behind). Obviously if the eye to barrel distance is more or less then the numbers change again. Same for barrel length.

I knocked 5mm (1/5th inch) off my comb because it was shooting high (don't ask how it came to be so high) which dropped the POI by 202mm (8 inches) at 36.54 metres (40 yards). The gun now shoots about 70/30.

I still miss um though :rolleyes:

DT
Well you did alright at the weekend mate, so did Harry! Well done both of you, looks like you had some high level opposition up at Cheddar! 

Well you did alright at the weekend mate, so did Harry! Well done both of you, looks like you had some high level opposition up at Cheddar! 
Nice of you to say so Les but really not good enough I'm afraid....  for either of us. Can't believe we both finished on the same score...again!

At least 10 targets below where we wanted to be but Harry won the juniors so is now English Open Junior UT champ for the year and pulled back some valuable ranking points.

DT

Nice of you to say so Les but really not good enough I'm afraid....  for either of us. Can't believe we both finished on the same score...again!

At least 10 targets below where we wanted to be but Harry won the juniors so is now English Open Junior UT champ for the year and pulled back some valuable ranking points.

DT
Low number of entries for this event !!

My god we have been here before and Hamster has even used my work bench scenario to good effect!

Think about it this way you are looking at the target not the gun, you know where the gun points so you point it where the target will be to break it. I think it may have been said on this thread but I will still say it anyway where an adjustable comb comes into effect is allowing you to raise your eye above the gun to allow you to see the target better. If you just do that anyway you will miss a few until you re-establish where the gun is pointing after the change. Think tennis player he looks at the ball not the racket ( or is it a bat :) ) if you change his racket/bat and give him one two inches longer he will readjust after a couple of games/sets and be back where he was before hitting the ball with the centre of the thing... now he might do that for the converse reason maybe he was not getting on too well with the short thingymebob :)

I think where shotgun shooting becomes futile is when you start looking at the gun and not the target that is why really good shooters make it look so easy they know where their gun points its the target they are interested in!

Renato lamera shoots OT from the hip quite well so not sure exactly how high HIS comb is set ???

My god we have been here before and Hamster has even used my work bench scenario to good effect!

Think about it this way you are looking at the target not the gun, you know where the gun points so you point it where the target will be to break it. I think it may have been said on this thread but I will still say it anyway where an adjustable comb comes into effect is allowing you to raise your eye above the gun to allow you to see the target better. If you just do that anyway you will miss a few until you re-establish where the gun is pointing after the change. Think tennis player he looks at the ball not the racket ( or is it a bat :) ) if you change his racket/bat and give him one two inches longer he will readjust after a couple of games/sets and be back where he was before hitting the ball with the centre of the thing... now he might do that for the converse reason maybe he was not getting on too well with the short thingymebob :)

I think where shotgun shooting becomes futile is when you start looking at the gun and not the target that is why really good shooters make it look so easy they know where their gun points its the target they are interested in!
Indeed. That is exactly the point Alan's article makes.

Again Ian as this demonstrates if you know where the gun is pointing and are watching the target then you can shoot where the target is going to be to break it, he is not looking at the gun and somehow trying to make a calculation for where to shoot to break it.

edit

Jan I think we are at the same place but another thought. Take a shotgun and place it in your shoulder as normal and call the target and break it... great! Take the same gun and adjust the comb in some way higher lower it does not matter now mount the gun exactly as before and call the target up and shoot and ... it will break provided you do not look at the gun and only the target because the gun is pointing in exactly the same place! Where things change is the conceptual position of the target if you look at the gun for a reference, the only thing that has changed is the position of your head and therefore eyes with respect to the gun. It would be really great to get inside the mind of a top class shooter to find out what causes them to take the shot do they look at their gun or only the target?

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching Renato do his stuff kind of makes you think how much is hand co-ordination and how much is visual ?

Also kind of makes a mockery of custom stocks and adj ribs, combs and anything else you can think of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Low number of entries for this event !!
True enough but most of the usual suspects were there.

Only 12 squads using 4 layouts meant it was all a bit hectic, especially if there was a hold-up on one layout.

A lot of calls for late shooters, as they were only half way through their bacon butty after the previous round/scoring.

DT

Two schools of thought on this topic then?

I guess some of you think the Earth is flat too? :wink:

Watching Renato do his stuff kind of makes me think... how much I am wasting my time :)

Also kind of makes a mockery of custom stocks and adj ribs, combs and anything else you can think of.
I fixed that for me Ian :)

Re custom made stocks I have absolutely no doubt that for some shooters a perfect fit will give them the extra targets they need to win but for most shooters they are the arbiter not the gun. I asked a top shot and good coach out here about that and he put it to me this way " I have watched you hit 23,24 regularly with the odd  25 from time to time, that is not luck, on those occasions you shot well and it demonstrates that gun fit is not your problem. What causes the 19's and 20's I have also seen is a lack of concentration on thinking only of the next target " Makes me think but I still miss them :)

Latest posts

Back