head position

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't accept that there should be a degree of head lifting on a driven bird.

I prefer to do it correctly .

Philistine.
Always a good plan

So did Philis advocate the head lifting style of shooting?  How may advocates does she have?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be very difficult for many Gameshooters to keep their face on the stock .

Most seem to have their heads up their arses or whoever is paying for them.

This may be how keeping your cheek on the comb got mistaken ?

The overhead on Stand 8 at the last Churchill Registered shoot looked like three times the lead underneath to that one (although it took me to the last pair to actually hit one).
The Westfield one was apparently heading straight out on the Sunday, but being blown down like an anvil on Weds 

The Westfield one was apparently heading straight out on the Sunday, but being blown down like an anvil on Weds 
If that's the stand with 2 overheads O/R then it was my stand. The 2nd bird off the cherry picker was coming over the right shoulder but angled slightly left. Those who shot it high overhead generally did best but many left it late and struggled for consistency because it was wind affected even on Sunday. It was travelling fast with the wind behind and many people underestimated the leeed. There were very few straights.

If that's the stand with 2 overheads O/R then it was my stand. The 2nd bird off the cherry picker was coming over the right shoulder but angled slightly left. Those who shot it high overhead generally did best but many left it late and struggled for consistency because it was wind affected even on Sunday. It was travelling fast with the wind behind and many people underestimated the leeed. There were very few straights.
Yes that one. I was happy 7/8 on Weds..

I have never met Ben in person, I have only ever heard the rumours that surround him and his career. But I must say that I think he comes across very well on film, he appears to be very knowledgeable and provides a very in depth approach to coaching. Off the back of his latest YouTube films I have been tempted to purchase his method star DVD. Only think stopping me is if his techniques clash with how i like to shoot. For the money though could be worth a gamble.
What are your techniques? Ben has a system and if you decide to adopt it I can tell you that it works. It doesn't mean you hit every target but it gives you a method to approach every stand. Watch then end of his latest 'Smokin' Targets - Loopers' on YouTube and get the DVD....

strangely BH method for driven re using the right hand to mount the gun thus pushing barrell down and under flight path contradicts both stanbury and Churchill who both advocate making the mount with the left hand in order to avoid this. Which goes to prove there is no right or wrong way per se, therefore coaching and coaching books are to a degree meaningless. I will continue to muddle along and work out what best suits me as I have approached most if not all things in life.

I will continue to muddle along and work out what best suits me
I think you should stop reading all these books. Go to a clay ground where they have different driven birds and practice on a method/technique that suits YOU. 

I think you should stop reading all these books. Go to a clay ground where they have different driven birds and practice on a method/technique that suits YOU. 
exactly ?

I have never bothered with coaching apart from advice from a few trusted friends who know my style, I have never bothered about books or vids until recently but I think I will do as you say.

Whenever shooting driven i go back to a few feet in front of where the bird appears and just swing through pulling the trigger resulting in shooting them pretty quickly, probably because the gravitational pill on my gut at the moment stops me leaning back ;)

Whenever shooting driven i go back to a few feet in front of where the bird appears and just swing through pulling the trigger resulting in shooting them pretty quickly, probably because the gravitational pill on my gut at the moment stops me leaning back ;)
I have the same problem with any high bird

Over what height 5'6" ;)
You prolly think that making fun of the infirmities of old age and being weight challenged contains some element of humor.  I can't help it if I'm short for my weight.  I'm gonna tell my nurse and she'll attend to your feeble foray into derisiveness.  Just you wait.  

You prolly think that making fun of the infirmities of old age and being weight challenged contains some element of humor.  I can't help it if I'm short for my weight.  I'm gonna tell my nurse and she'll attend to your feeble foray into derisiveness.  Just you wait.  
I will be...probably for a long time unless you strap some rockets on that Zimmer frame ;)

Is the nurse the high bird your talking about?

Back