Guns in cars

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dear, an unatended shotgun, I will not use a gun rack as it's oh so easy for anyone to walk off with anybody's gun.
But why would they? I'm no expert but I'd reckon that the average opportunist thief would run a mile before lifting a shotgun. If you're caught with a stolen necklace worth £1,000 which might get you £250 down the pub, you'll get a 90 days suspended or a years probation. Get caught with a shotgun, which is also worth about £250 to the criminal world, regardless of whether it's £15K's worth of gold inlaid Superscroll or an old Baikal, and you get 5 years.

Realistically, is anyone going to steal a shotgun from a hotel room or a gun rack at a shooting club? Just because you paid £10K for it doesn't mean it's more attractive to a thief than an easily concealed and easily sold  iPad or TAG watch.

Think about it.

Is it really worth the risk?

I remember reading in Sporting Gun, pre internet, how two Beretta shooters had got their guns mixed up at a shoot, same model just different barrel lengths.

How do you manage to get your own gun back, I don't know if they ever did.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a similar vein there was a case about 12-13 years ago when a motorist stopped for a pee in the bushes and found a gunslip with an expensive Beretta inside. As luck would have it he had his own SGC and took it to the cops who traced the very relieved owner. The gun had been in his car when it was stolen and the police reckoned the thief had simply tossed the gun into the bushes to get rid of it.

To answer your question it depends what you mean by risk. I would never leave a gun or any part of a gun in a parked car if I could take it with me. I would suggest to you that there are infinitely more car thieves around than gun thieves and for a criminal who wants to steal a shotgun there are better ways than prowling around hotels or car parks which are likely to have CCTV. I would think that the average car thief would probably move on to another car if he realised there was gun inside his first choice.

Shotguns aren't worth a great deal in the criminal world and I just don't see the typical opportunist thief knowingly taking the risk of being caught with an illegally held stolen firearm.

There is a gun rack right by the door at the NCSC at Bisley and the cafe is used by all and sundry!
Last time I was there I put my gun on the rack sat down for a coffee, a group of people on a stag do waiting to go on a lesson were picking up guns from the rack to feel the weights etc. I almost had a heart attack at the sight of an 'unknown' messing with my gun. They obviously didn't know anything about protocol/manners and had they'd have asked I'd have had no problems. As mentioned before anyone can go in and could easily just pick up a gun and walk off unnoticed. My gun never leaves my sight unless it's nice and secure - just not worth the risk

To steal most of today's cars you need the key, unless it goes on a recovery truck.

Before Coniston got it's big fancy clubhouse there was a gunrack next to the small cafe, a newcomer was taking guns from the rack, walking to the nearest stand a then firing a few shots through it, saying "I like that one" or "I don't like that one".

Needless to say he was told that this was a big NO NO.

I've never left my gun in a rack since then, it's locked in the car while I have a brew.

Oh dear, an unatended shotgun, I will not use a gun rack as it's oh so easy for anyone to walk off with anybody's gun.
Not when you are sat watching it (tut)

:smile:

Is it really worth the risk?

I remember reading in Sporting Gun, pre internet, how two Beretta shooters had got their guns mixed up at a shoot, same model just different barrel lengths.

How do you manage to get your own gun back, I don't know if they ever did.
Serial number ???

My local SG lets you take your gun into the clubhouse and have it on your table (opened of course), but when I go anywhere else, or the clubhouse is very busy, mine is locked in the boot.

In a similar vein there was a case about 12-13 years ago when a motorist stopped for a pee in the bushes and found a gunslip with an expensive Beretta inside. As luck would have it he had his own SGC and took it to the cops who traced the very relieved owner. The gun had been in his car when it was stolen and the police reckoned the thief had simply tossed the gun into the bushes to get rid of it.

To answer your question it depends what you mean by risk. I would never leave a gun or any part of a gun in a parked car if I could take it with me. I would suggest to you that there are infinitely more car thieves around than gun thieves and for a criminal who wants to steal a shotgun there are better ways than prowling around hotels or car parks which are likely to have CCTV. I would think that the average car thief would probably move on to another car if he realised there was gun inside his first choice.

Shotguns aren't worth a great deal in the criminal world and I just don't see the typical opportunist thief knowingly taking the risk of being caught with an illegally held stolen firearm.
I quite agree.

But where do you start, this was about 20 years ago, when did shotguns have to be entered on your ticket?

How many Police forces would you have to contact?
Me thinks times have moved on since.

We get quite a few guns left at our place and have had the odd bit of confusion with the wrong gun going home with the wrong owner. We have yet to own one for more than 24 hours as we usually get a telephone call from a grateful, but forgetful owner. It happens, but I have never known anyone get nicked for being human.

We get quite a few guns left at our place and have had the odd bit of confusion with the wrong gun going home with the wrong owner. We have yet to own one for more than 24 hours as we usually get a telephone call from a grateful, but forgetful owner. It happens, but I have never known anyone get nicked for being human.
If the Police don't know nobody will get nicked, it's like the 72 hour rule on lending a gun, when does the time start?

It can be very ambiguous.

I am not saying that some of you are naive but i have known of at least two occasions were guns have been stolen or attempted to be from club house gun racks have also known of at least 3 occasions were they have been left and or the wrong one taken home. I have also known of one being left on the floor of a club car park and the owner driving 300 miles before realising. I never leave my gun in a rack you never know who is knocking about just because they have a vest on doesnt mean they are kosher.

Latest posts

Back