Gun fitting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evoracer

Had my gun fitted a few years back but I hated it and couldn't get on with the way it was set up. I ended up going down the mess about with it route and got somewhere where I was reasonably happy with hitting clays and scores in general. But I had a slight issue which would end up with me missing away targets thrown from my left hand side in my opinion far too often. Someone recently looked down the rib as I shouldered my gun and said I was looking down the right hand side of the rib so I put a little padding on it which brought my eye over the centre of the rib (so I was told) but in all honesty it felt like a backwards step I started missing more than I have in years, after taking it of after 8 stands today i was much happier and hitting a few more! Today speaking to a few lads said they have been to Holland and Holland and had guns fitted and advised me to go there and get it sorted once and for all and get rid of any fitment thoughts.

Anyone used them for this service and opinions?

thanks 

Yes,I've used Holland and Holland, almost 30 years ago I should think. They were very good as far as I'm concerned. I have since then used other people too, results were also good. Most recently Wesley Hann set a stock up for me, he's also very good indeed.

Just had one done at AGL, 

Today's straw bailer was interesting,   I know know which are my bogey birds to work on, and not is it the gun mount / fit that caused the miss! 

:santa:

Had my gun fitted a few years back but I hated it and couldn't get on with the way it was set up. I ended up going down the mess about with it route and got somewhere where I was reasonably happy with hitting clays and scores in general. But I had a slight issue which would end up with me missing away targets thrown from my left hand side in my opinion far too often. Someone recently looked down the rib as I shouldered my gun and said I was looking down the right hand side of the rib so I put a little padding on it which brought my eye over the centre of the rib (so I was told) but in all honesty it felt like a backwards step I started missing more than I have in years, after taking it of after 8 stands today i was much happier and hitting a few more! Today speaking to a few lads said they have been to Holland and Holland and had guns fitted and advised me to go there and get it sorted once and for all and get rid of any fitment thoughts.

Anyone used them for this service and opinions?

thanks 
Knowing how you tend to shoot, I would ask two things;

- Do you miss crossing or wider quartering targets thrown from your left?

- If not and you can hit most other targets, why would it be gun fit?

I would say, perhaps your gun speed/swing through is over leading the target.  Do you know where, you are missing them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know lots of people who have had expensive gun fitting sessions. I know lots of people who shoot incredibly well. These are not the same people.. Gun fitting takes a few minutes to look at and rectify IMO. (Unless an extreme example). It's about getting basics right, then learning to shoot the gun.

Knowing how you tend to shoot, I would ask two things;

- Do you miss crossing or quartering targets thrown from your left?

- If not and you can hit most other targets, why would it be gun fit?

I would say, perhaps your gun speed/swing through is over leading the target.  Do you know where, you are missing them?
crossing and 1/4ing not a real issue seems to be an away just off the left shoulder!?! 

I don't know why i think it's gun fit i have a little theory that if my eye is past the rib on the right that i have got used to seeing a certain sight picture that isn't correct and just learnt to compensate for it?? a few weeks ago 87ex100 this week card thrown in the bin in disgust! and all over a 2/3mm adjustment..

crossing and 1/4ing not a real issue seems to be an away just off the left shoulder!?! 

I don't know why i think it's gun fit i have a little theory that if my eye is past the rib on the right that i have got used to seeing a certain sight picture that isn't correct and just learnt to compensate for it?? a few weeks ago 87ex100 this week card thrown in the bin in disgust! and all over a 2/3mm adjustment..
So shallow targets.  What stand and where?

As I say, you are most likely missing infront.  I like to have a small movement from hold to kill point and pull away from the target.

So shallow targets.  What stand and where?

As I say, you are most likely missing infront.  I like to have a small movement from hold to kill point and pull away from the target.
its not particular to a ground but if you take detling as an example last stand rhs before the woods if they throw an orange away no doubt i'd drop a few!

I know lots of people who have had expensive gun fitting sessions. I know lots of people who shoot incredibly well. These are not the same people.. Gun fitting takes a few minutes to look at and rectify IMO. (Unless an extreme example). It's about getting basics right, then learning to shoot the gun.
I tend to agree, though EvoRacer is tall and broad, so probably needs a little more attention...but he has done that bit, which is why I think it is his approach to the target.

its not particular to a ground but if you take detling as an example last stand rhs before the woods if they throw an orange away no doubt i'd drop a few!
Ok....what about that SIM pair orange away, left hand side in woods last week?

I assume I am right in thinking you will shoot swing through on them, as you do most other targets?

Swing through.. It's a great step forward from early days; getting movement and lead into targets. But very soon it can become the root of all evil; taking the subtlety of line out of the game and adding in extra lead on subtle quartering targets..

I tend to agree, though EvoRacer is tall and broad, so probably needs a little more attention...but he has done that bit, which is why I think it is his approach to the target.

Ok....what about that SIM pair orange away, left hand side in woods last week?

I assume I am right in thinking you will shoot swing through on them, as you do most other targets?
think i dropped the 1st one

What...every first one or just the first one?

If the latter...both orange away targets, but no problem?
just the 1st one, trap was central if i remember correctly which is ok for me strange I know!

Another point to keep in mind is something which a very good mentor of mine once told me........even a well fitted gun is useless if not mounted correctly and consistently. I'm not saying that anyone is mis mounting, just that its something to keep in mind. Its all too easy to blame the gun rather than ourselves!

Another point to keep in mind is something which a very good mentor of mine once told me........even a well fitted gun is useless if not mounted correctly and consistently. I'm not saying that anyone is mis mounting, just that its something to keep in mind. Its all too easy to blame the gun rather than ourselves!
YES!  It is ridiculous to examine gun fitting until an individual has settled on whatever this gun mount is going to be.  If the gun mount is not comfortable, secure and consistent then any attempt to fit the gun is wasted time and $. Every aspect of fitting is dependent on the consistent mount as a precursor.

I'm fairly confident that is not JMO but a simple fact

YES!  It is ridiculous to examine gun fitting until an individual has settled on whatever this gun mount is going to be.  If the gun mount is not comfortable, secure and consistent then any attempt to fit the gun is wasted time and $. Every aspect of fitting is dependent on the consistent mount as a precursor.

I'm fairly confident that is not JMO but a simple fact
Gent's I understand a decent consistent mount is important I've shot the gun for 2 years to get the feel for it and i have a consistent mount i would say, well that was until it was adjusted 3mm and i couldn't get on with the mount!

The gun fitting is about £120 from memory; but how do their prices for the alterations stack up?
120 quid just to tell you if it fits then further cost to alter, ruddy ell.

not sure how sporting works but in trap if a newbie is unsure or struggling or asks then us experienced folk take a look and tell them for free. 120 quid my arse.

Back