Gun fit dilema, cast issues.................

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My advice would be set the gun up under your shooting eye dim the other eye and go have some fun shooting...forget about gun fit and everything else for now. Save the pennies and book a few hours with ed solomons who understands eyes and gun fit

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Where are you based Scotty? Nothing against the people you've been dealing with but it sound like you need a complete reboot of you shooting. There are highly experienced and well regarded instructors around the country who can guide you and between us we probably know of most of them.
I'm based down in Dorset, near Weymouth.  I've been to the two clubs mentioned above, but had massively conflicting advice.  I'm willing to give anything a try before throwing loads of cash at the gun.

My advice would be set the gun up under your shooting eye dim the other eye and go have some fun shooting...forget about gun fit and everything else for now. Save the pennies and book a few hours with ed solomons who understands eyes and gun fit

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Thanks for your advice, where is Ed Solomons based, any contact details for him?

conflicting advice does not surprise me. Shooting style and method is very subjective, just read some threads on here to see for yourself.

conflicting advice does not surprise me. Shooting style and method is very subjective, just read some threads on here to see for yourself.
And SOME even advocate using the 'Churchill' style.  Even down to buying cigars  !       :)

I have been conversing with a friend of mine via pm's about his new F16 where he was told by the seller (famous gun shop ) it was too long for him and advised that he shot it without the recoil pad !! I knew instinctively that we were dealing with a live one here  :blink:  and suggested there was a high probability he didn't know what he was talking about. The gun including the standard pad was still shy of 14-1/2" but my friend did as he was told and as often happens turned in an excellent "honeymoon" score first time out.

I bumped into him eventually today and he had fitted a very thin pad as I'd advised him shooting bare wood is plain silly anyway, the gun was grossly too short for me and I'm a few inches shorter than him ! I handed it to a good friend/shot and asked his opinion on the length only, far too short was the reply and he was about the same height as my F16 friend ! 

The point of all this is don't assume (people in the right surroundings) are always knowledgeable, some advice is just plain absurd and gun fit can be one big quagmire.  

As you are a new shooter then I would also advise that you ignore all the "your gun is useless and doesn't fit" comments regardless of who told you, and go and shoot your new beretta and get your mount consistent. 

Not sure how you can have a gun altered to a near perfect fit, when you haven't had the experience to mount the gun in the same way every time?

when I first started, I spent a good 10-20 mins every day just mounting my gun in the mirror to make sure I was looking down the rib straight. 

Now, I'm left handed and know that I'm left eye dominant (I always pick up and look through a camera with my left eye, feels wrong with my right!) which gave me a good starting point of course, but I shot right hand cast guns for ages. In fact even my current krieghoff is technically a right hander. 

But if you really want some more professional advice then I would go with what Ed has said, get your eye dominance sorted first. You might find that you'd be better off learning to shoot off your "wrong" shoulder to match your eye dominance which will feel strange but better to do whilst still a novice. 

Just my penny's worth anyway. 

Enjoy your shooting (that's why we do it after all!). 

The vision aspect of things as others, some very respected, have said is the first thing to sort out. When you have without question established you eye dominance then you have to decide how you are going to tackle that problem. I have an eye dominance issue which I have solved quite well by using a small round of opaque sticky tape just at the right point on my off eye lens. This is in effect very similar to having both eyes open at the outset but just as you are taking the shot because you cannot see the bead on the barrel of the gun you are only using the eye you have chosen to see down the barrel with. I have been using this method for a long time, about four years, and now I don't think the tape has quite the same effect it first had because of the fact I look at the target and not the gun and also I think subconsciously I now know my correct eye is looking in the right place. I have actually tried taking the tape off and for quite a while say ten or fifteen minutes I could still shoot OK but then the issue returned so I am sure you can train yourself... but I just went back to the tape because the last thing I want is some sort of uncertainty about what I am seeing.

To be honest with you I think that vision issues are probably the most frequent reason that targets are missed and I am not talking about eye dominance here. I am also talking about the way shooters are looking at their targets. Would be interested to hear what someone like Ed Solomons has to say about vision methods for picking up and watching targets pre shot.

Latest posts

Back