Gun fit dilema, cast issues.................

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty1973

I had a lesson at Purbeck Shooting Club today and my instructor (Grahame) said that I shouldn't use my gun as it doesn't have enough cast for me.  He insisted that I use his gun with a custom stock with a massive amount of cast; you could really see the bend.  Now I'm in a dilemma as I've only just bought my 686E EVO and haven't even fired it in anger yet!!  He suggested that I should get a custom stock, but there's no way I can afford one, or would even be willing to pay the price for one.

I'm thinking I should have a full gun fit with a try gun and get my gun altered.

Any thoughts or comments on this as now I'm totally confused and a little put off to be honest!?!?

Did you shoot the instructors gun? Did it feel better and did you hit more clays. I'm not the most experienced on this forum ( I'm sure ball trap will remind me) but similar conversations always recommend getting a gun fit. For £120 it's well worth the money. I'm sure your gun can be altered to fit you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you buy the gun? Did the shop offer you any advice? Is the gun new? Is this an eye dominance issue? Are you new to this gun or new to shooting generally?

It's fairly common for a gun to be a less than perfect fit; lots of people need a bit more or a bit less length in the stock, and many need a bit higher comb. A few need it a bit lower. 

I think you need a second opinion, have a look on the CPSA web site.

Did you shoot the instructors gun? Did it feel better and did you hit more clays. I'm not the most experienced on this forum ( I'm sure ball trap will remind me) but similar conversations always recommend getting a gun fit. For £120 it's well worth the money. I'm sure your gun can be altered to fit you.
I did shoot the instructors gun, I definitely hit clays; but no more than I did with the old Winchester I shot at Podimore.

Where did you buy the gun? Did the shop offer you any advice? Is the gun new? Is this an eye dominance issue? Are you new to this gun or new to shooting generally?

It's fairly common for a gun to be a less than perfect fit; lots of people need a bit more or a bit less length in the stock, and many need a bit higher comb. A few need it a bit lower. 

I think you need a second opinion, have a look on the CPSA web site.
I bought the gun new from Avalon and I'm new to shooting, this was my second lesson.  I never even shot my gun, only his heavily modified Beretta.  The cast was huge, almost an L shaped bend in the stock.  I was told that I had central vision, one instructor said close my left eye; the other keep them both open. Confused and deflated!!

I'm considering a full gun fit with a try-gun at Ian Coley as it's near to where I work.  Is Ian Coley's a well respected company?

I'm a bit surprised that Avalon didn't spot your alleged central vision. If they advised you at all then they got it seriously wrong if you indeed have central vision. I suspect a return trip to Avalon Guns is the best starting point. I'm pretty sure that Graham and Avalon Guns aren't strangers, and a conversation may help.

But a second opinion is pretty much vital before shelling out the considerable sum required for custom made stock.

Funnily enough I had the same suggestion from the same source. I decided to ignore that advice, and went my own way without a custom stock. 

L shaped bend meant for central vision shooters or the truly abominable crossover stock isn't really cast but heavy modification necessary only in pretty extreme cases, I can't readily think of a single person I know who shoots either !

I am also interested in how he knew so quickly and emphatically what you need before he actually saw you shoot with your own gun ?! I'd say a second opinion is definitely advisable. 

If you have shot reasonably with an "old Winchester" and it IS old then it will have a straight stock, unless of course it has been altered during it's life. I would suggest you have a session with Ian Coley at their shooting ground, to determine if you actually have an eye issue. 

If you have shot reasonably with an "old Winchester" and it IS old then it will have a straight stock, unless of course it has been altered during it's life. I would suggest you have a session with Ian Coley at their shooting ground, to determine if you actually have an eye issue. 
When I shot with the old Winchester, I was told to sight the clay with both eyes, then close my left eye to shoot; it did seem to work.  At Purbeck they were dead against me closing my eye..........

When I shot with the old Winchester, I was told to sight the clay with both eyes, then close my left eye to shoot; it did seem to work.  At Purbeck they were dead against me closing my eye..........
My advice then, in the interim, CLOSE THE BLOOMIN THING AN DON'T TELL EM  !      :smile:

Never seen Graham with an L shaped Beretta or L shaped anything for that matter and i know opinion differs about method but he knows a thing or two.

And a way round getting a custom stock in most cases would be getting an adjustable comb fitted.

I think that with Brexit , the price of oil per barrel , cost of cartridges, etc., Gunsales may be poor .

So let us start telling people their guns don't fit them and make money stock bending and customising stocks !

I shoot left handed , with any gun , cast on or cast off , and hit far more than I miss.

I would not spend a penny on having my gun fitted until I knew what I was seeing , get you eye dominance issue sorted out and decide how you are going to manage any issues you may or may not have, then get out and shoot your gun and if you have major issues seek professional advice and then get it sorted.

Remember , " A fool and his money are soon parted "

Kind regards,

Penniless Pete

Never seen Graham with an L shaped Beretta or L shaped anything for that matter and i know opinion differs about method but he knows a thing or two.

And a way round getting a custom stock in most cases would be getting an adjustable comb fitted.
He was against an adjustable comb, he said it was just a gimmick.

I think that with Brexit , the price of oil per barrel , cost of cartridges, etc., Gunsales may be poor .

So let us start telling people their guns don't fit them and make money stock bending and customising stocks !

I shoot left handed , with any gun , cast on or cast off , and hit far more than I miss.

I would not spend a penny on having my gun fitted until I knew what I was seeing , get you eye dominance issue sorted out and decide how you are going to manage any issues you may or may not have, then get out and shoot your gun and if you have major issues seek professional advice and then get it sorted.

Remember , " A fool and his money are soon parted "

Kind regards,

Penniless Pete
The problem is I thought this was professional advice, now I'm feeling that it may have been a money making exercise!!

I will go and see the guys at Ian Coley and go from there.

Thanks for all of the advice guys.

Read up on eye dominance and gun fit and you will start to understand what your coach is talking about. But in saying that I'd far sooner close or dim one eye and have my other eye looking down the rib than an eye each side of the rib( basically what your coach is advising)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

With all due respect, we have a situation here where we are trying to advise the OP without actually knowing the full facts.

We must be very careful about doubting anyones skill and opinion ( Grahame Brown's ) without actually being present on the day and seeing for ourselves.

We only have Scotty's comments to  act upon and not wishing to be rude or doubt Scotty at all , let us consider the information.

Going on the information provided , Scotty has only had two lessons , so at best his gunmount will be inconsistant and because of conflicting advice , he possibly doesn't know what a good mount is or looks like.

Avalon shop assistant whilst possibly not being a skilled fitter , surely has some idea and pride in their job and will advise customers on a suitable gun?

Scotty has only ever shot a Winchester and seemingly got on okay with it , has never shot his new gun , so how in hell can anyone say that it is useless and needs a custom stock?

Finally Scotty seems determined to get on with spending a fortune having a lesson and a gunfitting session with a third party that he has  no knowledge or very little  of .

It really does beggar belief.

You can attempt to assist someone and guide them , but if they choose to ignore the advice given , there is not much more you can do.

With all due respect, we have a situation here where we are trying to advise the OP without actually knowing the full facts.

We must be very careful about doubting anyones skill and opinion ( Grahame Brown's ) without actually being present on the day and seeing for ourselves.

We only have Scotty's comments to  act upon and not wishing to be rude or doubt Scotty at all , let us consider the information.

Going on the information provided , Scotty has only had two lessons , so at best his gunmount will be inconsistant and because of conflicting advice , he possibly doesn't know what a good mount is or looks like.

Avalon shop assistant whilst possibly not being a skilled fitter , surely has some idea and pride in their job and will advise customers on a suitable gun?

Scotty has only ever shot a Winchester and seemingly got on okay with it , has never shot his new gun , so how in hell can anyone say that it is useless and needs a custom stock?

Finally Scotty seems determined to get on with spending a fortune having a lesson and a gunfitting session with a third party that he has  no knowledge or very little  of .

It really does beggar belief.

You can attempt to assist someone and guide them , but if they choose to ignore the advice given , there is not much more you can do.
"You can attempt to assist someone and guide them , but if they choose to ignore the advice given , there is not much more you can do."

The point that you have missed is that I have had conflicting info from every supposed professional I have dealt with, and the whole point of this thread was asking for advice.  Some suggest gun fit, some suggest just getting out and shooting my gun.  I've had my eye dominance checked three times and they all said I have a form of central vision. 

It's not about ignoring advice, it's about making a decision based on the facts supplied, and at this present time; I'm more confused than when I started!!!

Where are you based Scotty? Nothing against the people you've been dealing with but it sound like you need a complete reboot of you shooting. There are highly experienced and well regarded instructors around the country who can guide you and between us we probably know of most of them.

Latest posts

Back