Gun blue touch up pen

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As if buying more guns isn't enough of spending money unnecessarily, I have come across a birchwood Casey gun blue touch up pen. Has anyone had any experience with this? Are they a good way to seal/repair minor bits of blue that have come off a gun? I've got a gun I use for rough shooting and thought it might keep any moisture out. Or do I just use a bit of gun grease?

As if buying more guns isn't enough of spending money unnecessarily, I have come across a birchwood Casey gun blue touch up pen. Has anyone had any experience with this? Are they a good way to seal/repair minor bits of blue that have come off a gun? I've got a gun I use for rough shooting and thought it might keep any moisture out. Or do I just use a bit of gun grease?
Worth a go on a rough gun, anything else a professional job isn’t too painfully expensive

They are ok on minor repairs used it on a rifle after removing rust with fine wire wool. Take your time and follow the instructions you can see in the pic it’s not too bad.

3F809D1F-35A9-41F4-8B1F-3213FEA9F390.png

I used it on a small but deepish scratch that was down to bright metal on a gun barrel it has worked well there but there is very little good I can say about the performance of the product on areas where there is a lot of general handling and rubbing of the surface, say on the receiver, it just wore off again almost immediately.

You may be better off using their 'cold blueing paste' rather than the pen. I have a pen in black which I use around the loading and ejection ports on my Beretta 303 auto action. The pen works well on small touch up jobs and I have extracted some of the 'black paint' from the pen and used a Woodcock pin feather as a brush, to fill in the smaller chips. I did use the blueing paste on a trigger guard once and after a couple of applications, it looked passable enough.

I use Van's Instant Gun Blue which IIRC is also available from Brownells.  The bottle that I have is fairly small but I've had it and used the stuff on scratches and scuffs for years.  My brother has used Vans on rather larger projects with satisfying results as well.  As with all of these kinda products cleaning is the key to results.  I use alcohol and then acetone so the metal is CLEAN.  Be aware too that most steel wool has oil in it to keep it from rusting so it needs to be used before the cleaning.

I use and recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back