Guerini not at gamefair

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been to a game fair in twenty years or more, as said above.....same old.....same old.

I used to go years back, was nice to have a look around but mainly for the clay line, I went to one recently (actually 4 years ago) as little fella wanted the experience, a gun and new skeet vest etc. Same old Same old afraid to say only it had gone much more expensive.  The clay shooting was out of range with entry costs etc.

Similar to pulling up at Sainsbury's (other food chains available) paying to park and paying to get in the store to buy your food :fie:   No thanks.

I used to go years back, was nice to have a look around but mainly for the clay line, I went to one recently (actually 4 years ago) as little fella wanted the experience, a gun and new skeet vest etc. Same old Same old afraid to say only it had gone much more expensive.  The clay shooting was out of range with entry costs etc.

Similar to pulling up at Sainsbury's (other food chains available) paying to park and paying to get in the store to buy your food :fie:   No thanks.
Sad to say, but I agree. It used to be worth it as there really were bargains to be had. I guess the internet has spoiled that as prices are far more visible these days. I will go to one of the big shows again, but every few years or so rather than every year. 

All the shows/fairs have gone the same way, used to go to the Royal Highland every year but the horses have taken the thing over and most of the kit I want to see isn't there because the manufacturers have been priced out by the fluffy bunny brigade. The only one that still does what it says on the tin is Saltex Exhibition down at Windsor, the rest are a sham.

I used to really like the CLA Game Fair.  But its not exactly appealing to the shooting masses and encouraging new shooters when its £30 to get in, has £120k+ cars being sold, and all the fancy places with their VIP enclosures and champagne if you happen to know someone important enough (or are important enough - I'm not)

This time next year Dave you'll be on the William Powell stand as a VIP guest sipping champagne!

and all the fancy places with their VIP enclosures and champagne if you happen to know someone important enough (or are important enough - I'm not)
Oh matey .....never let that bollocks put you off....they let anyone in.........just hold head up and walk right in with meaning....or in conversation with a co-conspirator....no one stops you.....and great fun. If stopped just give them a steely stare of incredulity ...and then carry on walking in.

We used to have this as a points game at any CLA and at all point to point races. Not been stopped yet..!   :laugh:

Oh matey .....never let that bollocks put you off....they let anyone in.........just hold head up and walk right in with meaning....or in conversation with a co-conspirator....no one stops you.....and great fun. If stopped just give them a steely stare of incredulity ...and then carry on walking in.

We used to have this as a points game at any CLA and at all point to point races. Not been stopped yet..!   :laugh:
You must have a set of something I don't have.  I tried it at Holland and Holland.... "your names not on the list...."

And of course, I didn't have one of those fancy pants badges everybody in a jacket and tie (in 32 degree heat) seemed to have.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can well believe this, once given the choice between a pint and the door fee to see the Associates I told the heavies I was in the band :) got waived right in, a while later he sussed me out but just smiled.

I can well believe this, once given the choice between a pint and the door fee to see the Associates I told the heavies I was in the band :) got waived right in, a while later he sussed me out but just smiled.
Must be your cool "Rock Star" looks???   :prankster:

I must be in the minority as I went for two days and enjoyed both days - but then I don't mind the heat as it was very hot on Friday.  Watched some Polo, watched some gun dog trials, watched some shooting and my favourite - sat down with a cold 'smoothie' and people watched.  Didn't go expecting any bargains, didn't go expecting the food and drink to be cheap.  A good day out with lots of things to look at and enjoy.

Tim

A lot of pursuits are suffering the same decline.

The London international Boat show used to be about a few bargains and perhaps an opportunity to get a deal on a boat.

Not any more. Even the Southampton Boat Show is only holding its own at the moment.

Charging people the cost of a decent meal to fight traffic, parking and cattle conditions to go and look at advertising and be charged £2 for a coke, £4 for a curled up sandwich, £5 for a pint or £10 for a hamburger is a killer. I've not been to a boat, car, gun, aircraft or any other show in years.

Back