First gun - why shouldn't I buy a Baikal?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As some will have seen elsewhere on this forum, I'm putting my first steps into the world of clay pigeon shooting.  Having had a few lessons over at Sporting Targets, I've purchased my cabinet (awaiting delivery) and currently awaiting my SGC approval.  All that's left, is the shotgun, and some skill.

I've read plenty of what to look for in a first gun - and the usual suspects are always cited, Browning, Beretta, and Miroku.  And one can pick up a "good" example of these for under £1000 (going by some adverts I've seen).  But a brand that doesn't seem to get a lot of discussion is Baikal.  Why is that ?  

My theory that my first gun will more than likely exceed my skill level, and that the less one spends, the less one is likely to loose when buying a replacement in a year / 2 years etc - why shouldn't the first time buyer, buy the cheapest possible gun ?

What are the negative points of a Baikal that would hinder the newbie shooter ?  I'm not talking aesthetics, or bragging rights .. I'm talking practically.

You will lose far less selling a used Browning etc. and you will have learned to shoot a more conventional gun..

I paid £1250 new for my Silver Pigeon 1 three years ago.  Looking on Guntrader the lowest priced second hand one seems to be £1075.  Kind of proved Will's point.

I have never handled a Baikal that had stock dimensions that would suit your average European, American, (North and South), Asian, African, Australasian or Antarctican person.

In fact, I'm not quite sure what planet's aliens they take for their measurements.

Other than that, a damn good gun!!  :wink:

Some guns are designed for clay shooting and some aren't. The Baikel is a good "working gun" but won't help you with clays. If you really want to go for a cheaper clay gun, there are better options, more suited to clays.

Having said that, if all you're ever going to want to do is go bust a few clays, on the way to the pub on a Sunday, the Baikel will do fine.

There great if you have short arms. The stocks are very short. Designed to fire in minus 40. They do feel cheap, rough and ready and very sloppy. But will last years - and yes i have one with a spacer in the stock

Awful stock dimensions and triggers rough as ars3holes.

they won't break, but hard work to shoot and will have to spend time/money on the stock.

look for a shot out mirouk or 680 series beretta, miles better and still cheap as chips for what it is.

Another position on this is that like my other sporting love (diving), clay pigeon shooting of any variety is not a 'cheap' sport by any stretch of the imagination.

Granted that you don't need to spend $20k on a Perazzi however a decent day/weekend of shooting is not 20 quid either - it costs money and importantly that investment is not capital-only, it recurs every time you step out for a round (or 10)

I have very quickly found out (as i'm confident most people do) that a $1,2,3,5,10k investment is actually not the most expensive part of this game :)

Just my 2(US) cents worth.

Adam

Only do it if the choice is Baikal or no gun at all. 

Unless it's one of those really expensive competition Baikal's made for Soviet athletes. 

Yours,

Baikal owner who has shot it in competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another position on this is that like my other sporting love (diving), clay pigeon shooting of any variety is not a 'cheap' sport by any stretch of the imagination.

Granted that you don't need to spend $20k on a Perazzi however a decent day/weekend of shooting is not 20 quid either - it costs money and importantly that investment is not capital-only, it recurs every time you step out for a round (or 10)

I have very quickly found out (as i'm confident most people do) that a $1,2,3,5,10k investment is actually not the most expensive part of this game :)

Just my 2(US) cents worth.

Adam
I'm a diver too Adam .. so I can relate to what you said.  When I was doing my OW, my instructor said "Diving is cheap .. once you've qualified".   Thats right.  After you've bought the Mk25 S600 regs, and the Waterproof D7 Drysuit, and the cylinders, and then decide to go the DIR route ...     Shooting is the same right ?  Cheap once I've learned ? ;o)

Thanks to everyone else too for their replies.  I think I'm suitably warned off a Baikal.  I dont think I was going to get one - I just wasn't sure why I shouldn't get one.

Buying a Bakail is like turning up to the British Gp in a Morris Marina yes it's got wheels and an engine ,same with the Bakail it's got a stock and barrels but that's where it ends 

good Bakail costs less than 1000 quality shells 

I would get the Baikal. Just think if you win anything with a Beretta or Browning no one will notice, but win with a Baikal you will be hot news for years.

Baikals , as far as I'm concerned, handle like a pig on a pitch fork. They have awful trigger pulls and lousy stock dimensions as has been said before.

So come on Les, for the uninitiated...what does 'a pig on a pitch fork' handle like?? And don't say 'like a Baikal' :)

Is this some kind of Dorset past time or what??

DT

So come on Les, for the uninitiated...what does 'a pig on a pitch fork' handle like?? And don't say 'like a Baikal' :)

Is this some kind of Dorset past time or what??

DT
Greg, this is a bit of a backwater where I live! We get up to all sorts in this neck of the woods. We have a meeting in the pub later today, it's our local security council meeting. We are meeting to discuss immigration.......just lately we've had too many incomers from Somerset and Devon, we think they could be terrorists....although someone called them tourists......................  :lol:

I think I'm suitably warned off a Baikal.  I dont think I was going to get one - I just wasn't sure why I shouldn't get one.

So come on then..............what's next for us to pull to peices? :lol:

Good luck with whatever you end up with :good:

Latest posts

Back