First gun shop visit

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Ward

Hi all

Visited my first gun shop this weekend to have a look around and get a gun fitted. Didn’t go as planned, quite a rude salesman who didn’t seem like he wanted to waste his time with a newbie who had a budget of only £500. Anyway...

He said for £500 I should only look at getting a new Kofs sceptre sxe O/U 12g. He rated it and said he has only heard good reviews. 

When I asked about other guns he wasn’t keen to get anything else off the rack so I left abruptly not wanting to hand over any money to him or his shop! 

Does anyone have any experience with this make/gun? 

I liked the feel of it, very light, it looked smart. 30” barrels, 3” chambers, multi choke (5). But obviously I’m a newbie! 

Thanks 

R

How light is very light? After 100+ shells in 1½hrs your shoulder will thank you for a heavier gun with less recoil. The overwhelming majority of clay shooters using an O/U go for a weight of at least 8lbs and often quite a lot more. And I'm including the women shooters too.

I think someone on Pigeon Watch was asking about Kofs. They seem to be another Turkish maker of low cost guns. To be blunt, a new O/U at £500 is going to be a lottery purchase and there's always the risk that Kofs might not have any presence in the UK 2 years down the road if you need warranty work. IMO a used gun from an established maker is a safer bet.

As for the dealer with an attitude problem I suggest you give that place a wide berth in future. Where are you based? Very likely someone on here will know the decent dealers in your neck of the woods.

I do not wish to pour cold water on your enthusiasm,  BUT,  you seem to be very reliant on the honesty of the sales assistant (who may not even be a shooter). Have you been to your local clay shooting ground, had a lesson and tried some guns  ?  Try to enlist the help of the club Instructor and ask his advice on which gun is best suited for your purpose. then take your time and shop around. Having decided on a shortlist of guns, have a look on Guntrader and get some idea of their prices. I would urge you NOT to buy new because you WILL want to upgrade at some stage and you will stand to lose a lot of money on that new gun. Try not to rush into it and do some homework before you venture into the next gun shop, better still, if a more experienced shooter could go with you and give you some help and guidance.  Where are you based ?  

Thanks for the reply both. 

I line in Gravesend, Kent. 

The gun is 6 1/2 lbs, I can’t find any reviews online or on YouTube and it has only just come into the country apparently! 

I did have my eye on something used as to not loose much money on the purchase and I will probably upgrade within a couple of years I’m sure. 

I only went to this shop as they did have a large selection online of shotguns under £500 compared to other stores nearby. 

Have been shooting locally at a clay ground, had lessons and a safety lesson. I have my visit Tuesday. Cabinet installed etc. I have only shot Berrettas. 

Thanks 

Hi Richard, you have to be careful of light guns there can be a lot of recoil

Funny-gun-fire-Recoil-Epic_zpsrukckkpo.gif

Also gun mount is important !

gun%20mount_zpsje9sutt7.gif

New budget guns are not worth looking at ! Find a used gun by a reputable maker(Miroku,Beretta,Browning etc) to suit your budget and you`ll be better off long term.

All singing & dancin` cheap new guns are just there to relieve the novice of their cash.

Bit on the same line as Balltrap. I assume as it's you first visit to a gun shop your really new to shooting.  (Do I get a sherlock Homes badge) Have you had many lessons? I'm guessing that if you turn up at a shop with very little experiance of handling guns the shop owner would have been nervous of letting you handle them. An experienced person who knows how to handle a gun properly can tell instantly if someone is a newby or has a problem handling a gun correctly safely.  Dents in barrels are costly to repair. 

I would suggest taking someone with experience with you.

The ATA Arms over and under shotgun is a little outside you budget but it might be worth a look at if you can stretch you budget an extra £100.

Search for "ATA Arms 12g shotgun" on the forum. The over and under shotgun from ATA Arms was discussed on the forum a few months ago and it might be another option for you to look at. Lloyd Pattison  did a video review of the ATA shotgun comparing it to a Beretta 686. This is also linked on the other thread and is also worth watching.

Don't forget you will also have to budget for safety and cleaning gear if you don't already have any.

I’ve had 2 lessons and a safety lessons. Did shoot a bit a few years ago back in my beating days. 

I will look at the ATA, thanks! 

never heard of kofs.

6 1/2 pounds is way to light for anything other than a walked up day. You will get a useable used gun for £500 but you need to visit a different dealer as that one is obviously poor. I don't agree with some comments above, as a newbie a good reputable dealer should be looking after you because your £500 gun will soon turn into 1k gun then a 3k gun and any dealer with brains will nurture you as a long term loyal customer. Find a dealer that treats you right and stay loyal.

I would avoid an ATA, I know an instructor who used to sell them but from memory he stopped as they had to many issues.

As others have said, I would look to buy older second hand: Browning, Miroku, Beretta or Winchester if possible.

After that Lincoln maybe.

ATB

Matt

Doesn't sound like the sort of experience you would want from a gun room, however £500 is bottom of the barrel for a new gun. Better bet IMO is as has been suggested look for an older 2nd hand gun like a Browning Medallist, 325 or 425, or a Beretta 686.

A friend of mine bought a Kofs at the game show and has used it every week since, as has been said, great for walked up or general Vermin or even game shooting, BUT a lot of shots at a clay ground wouldn’t be fun, they are short in the stock, the pad is horrible and if you take a peak inside it’s quite rough.  He did put a couple of Magnum steel cartridges through it at Duck, 2 was enough.

I would ask Santa nicely for a few and go for the ATA 

Doesn't sound like the sort of experience you would want from a gun room, however £500 is bottom of the barrel for a new gun. Better bet IMO is as has been suggested look for an older 2nd hand gun like a Browning Medallist, 325 or 425, or a Beretta 686.
The medallist is not a Browning by manufacture just by name as it was imported by the Browning importer but was made by FIAS in Italy.

A Lad brought his brand new ATA to my clay shoot on Sunday.  It's going back to the shop this week.  He wants a full refund.  Multiple failures to fire. 

Back