First attempt at U.T.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotshot100

Had a go at U.T. last week at Cloudside Shooting Ground. Remembered what I had been taught by Martin Barker at Nuthampstead when I had an O.T. lesson with him a couple of months ago and surprise surprise managed a 23 on my first round followed by 21.

Really pleased with this result. Then went for a drink and a bite to eat in their very nice club house before going and shooting another 23 followed by a 22.

Could really get in to this discipline but there is a lack of facilities in the Kent area. I see that Dartford are advertising a 100 target registered shoot next Sunday but I am getting mixed feedback about the layouts there.

Has any one actually shot U.T. at Dartford? If so what was it like?

Had a go at U.T. last week at Cloudside Shooting Ground. Remembered what I had been taught by Martin Barker at Nuthampstead when I had an O.T. lesson with him a couple of months ago and surprise surprise managed a 23 on my first round followed by 21.

Really pleased with this result. Then went for a drink and a bite to eat in their very nice club house before going and shooting another 23 followed by a 22.

Could really get in to this discipline but there is a lack of facilities in the Kent area. I see that Dartford are advertising a 100 target registered shoot next Sunday but I am getting mixed feedback about the layouts there.
Has any one actually shot U.T. at Dartford? If so what was it like?
Well done with those scores mate! I have only shot ut a couple of times and I just could not settle into it but I don't know why!

Dartford had a lot of problems with flooding because of its location, the ground owner seems to have put a lot of effort in since the dry spell, cant comment on the trap layouts but the sporting has been sorted out..

Doh!!

Dartford had a lot of problems with flooding because of its location, the ground owner seems to have put a lot of effort in since the dry spell, cant comment on the trap layouts but the sporting has been sorted out.. Doh!!
Flooding's been a problem at Dartford ever since it was first opened ,as you say,due to the low water table. It would be great if they did get the trap disciplines sorted.

On a slightly different topic, if there is any one from Kent who fancies trying to develop the trap disciplines in the county they would be most welcome and would receive the full support of the committee.

If anyone's interested please let me know.

Well done hotshot those are very tidy scores.

Les

Hold point and focus point at ut is critical, as you are hard core ot shooter you probably adopted ot technique. Ut is a great discipline and majors and selections done over proper 200 targets not this ponsy ot 125. Have heard it regarded as old mans abt but don't let that put you off :)

Les

Hold point and focus point at ut is critical, as you are hard core ot shooter you probably adopted ot technique. Ut is a great discipline and majors and selections done over proper 200 targets not this ponsy ot 125. Have heard it regarded as old mans abt but don't let that put you off :)
Thanks IPS. I did alter my stance a lot to that which I used for O.T. I think one of the main things was the visibility at Cloudside. There was nothing in the field of view except hills which were probably the best part of 10 miles away and the sky which made it easy to pick up the targets quickly.

Well done.... ,much better than my first attempt at it a couple of weeks ago.

13, 18, 13, 15

That should put into perspective how well you shot! 

Its a difficult discipline to adapt to if your used to ot or abt as you must let the target out, if you move to early you risk going the wrong way as you see the target in your peripheral vision. Everything crosses at a point in front of peg 3 and a foot or two high, find a stone or flower etc at this point from behind 3 and refer to it from all pegs but remember you must be patient let target out then commit fully to the shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done !!

I tried UT and OT for the first time yesterday. Only managed 14 on both but much preferred the OT I think I found it a bit humbling to be honest as I am shooting about the 20 - 22 mark now at ABT. It was a new ground with new disciplines and new people I was nervous and so I am hoping for better next time around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Practice is name of the game keep at it, it will fall into place after a while.

Disaster today......13, 10, 12, 14.

Total respect to my other half for the scores she shoots at this. Suddenly realized how difficult UT is for me at least. Really struggling with the gun hold / look point - acquiring a good eye lock on the target is proving near on impossible.

Read my other post on hold point etc it may help.

Disaster today......13, 10, 12, 14. Total respect to my other half for the scores she shoots at this. Suddenly realized how difficult UT is for me at least. Really struggling with the gun hold / look point - acquiring a good eye lock on the target is proving near on impossible.
I don't know where you live but if you're really serious about shooting these disciplines I would recommend having a lesson with someone who knows what they're doing. I had one with Martin Barker at Nuthampstead and he picked up on very minor issues with my stance etc. that have helped me no end.

It was probably the best £80 that I've ever spent. 

Good scores. I fail miserabley at any trap, I think k I got less than 6 at abt last weekend! :.:

Les

You are more than likely correct Ian, I probably used my normal OT "slash at it fast" technique!  Why do they say about "old mans ABT" then Ian ?

Have heard this comment from a few, I think its because some shooters consider that UT is a much easier discipline than ABT as you have the pre set 5 targets so theoretically it "should" be easier than the total random nature of ABT. I must say that I kind of agree however its still chuffing hard to put regular 25s in. As I say it really is critical to get your head round the hold point and focus point at this game, its a shame there is not more of it as majors are over 200 targets and its not a closed shop like OT you can pay your entry fee and shoot abroad in many comps. 

I have to say Ian, I have started to think that OT is becoming more and more like an elitist game these days! Even at SC, there seem to be very few people who shoot it, I am strongly considering going back to my roots next year, in other words ABT or possibly even DTL, if my nerves can stand the strain! In fact in view of what is allegedly going to happen over at SC, I may be left with little or no choice in the matter!

Same here Les, will be concentrating on my 1st love which is ABT but do the occasional UT and OT just to keep a score in and probably shoot some DTL just for fun incl either the English or krieghoff next year as both are very good shoots.

We are same up north mate as in very little trap choice without a long treck to Beverley.

Latest posts

Back