favour from DT11 owners

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I can see from the picture, if the gun was mine it would be on its way back to GMK for rectification with a fresh set of barrels and fitted to the receiver to prevent further contact.

The barrel is a highly stressed component, such a mark on the barrel will act as a stress raiser; this means that the crack could easily propogate causing the barrel to fail in service.

This is not a minor witness mark, it needs sorting.

Do not take no for an answer.

webber (with his engineers hat on)

+1

So that is 2 engineers opinions then.

:wink:

(I have to smile at this thread.....it is like a vote for the new articles type thread.... :wink: if enough people say they are happy with the status quo.....it becomes acceptable..... :wink: rather than understanding the potential problem)

Hahahahaha

Last edited:
When a deep gouge/dent/scrape like this occurs it's pressure from the lower forward face of the action deforming the surface of the barrel. That is a sharply angled are, albeit rounded at the very edge. If you look at the arrangement of barrels and action and note where the  wound has appeared it's rather close to the point around which the barrels turn when they drop.

That indicates that there is a lot of leverage involved. The pressure required to dent the barrel is produced by this lever action. Of course, such a setup will exert an equal and opposite force somewhere, in this case at the point of rotation. So look for greatly accelerated wear around the hinge/trunnion/knuckle (whatever term one prefers). I am not convinced that this mark has occurred when assembling - it looks too deep, and the forces are negligible with the forend removed.

The gun wasn't designed to act like a nutcracker, this is not acceptable, especially at these prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
To clarify these are marks to the bluing not a dent as such, it is reported by many of us to have happened during assembly / dissembly with a few different models, both my 10s have it and I am very very careful when handling my guns it just seems to be unavoidable to catch the thing when you open the barrel with no forend attached. Also I believe from an earlier post that GMK have stated that it is purely aesthetic and poses no threat to safe operation etc etc so I don't think we need to get our knickers in a twist about it by inundating GMK with hundreds of returned guns. Considering how many hundred of thousand beretta have been made over the years with similar actions If there was a problem we would have known about it by now.

Hi I'm a new member to the site after reading this I've checked mine and its got a grove in it guns 10 months old ,I love the gun but for the money little faults let it down,the engine turning on the sides of the barrels is as new on one side scrubbed off on the other already .my old 682 looked better at 6yr old

Just the post above mine it's not a mark to the bluing but a dent on the join where the barrels fit to the chambers

Mine is just a mark not a dent as such. I really don't think its of any great concern but if anyone is worried send a pic to gmk

Latest posts

Back