Excuses or learning curve?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesP

I really shouldn't have gone out this morning. This was the first week I have felt like even poking my nose outdoors for ages. I've been down with a coldy chesty coughy fevery bug that had me on antibiotics and feeling quite poorly. 

And to top it all Current Primary Womn and myself caught up with the last episode of "Widower" last night, a series that's had me rivetted. Her too. Both of us have been married before, to people who we discovered we couldn't trust, and after the TV was finished we startred discussing the misdeeds and mysteries of our respective ex-spouses. That in turn meant I finished off the bottle of wine, which I shouldn't have done. We went to bed late, of course.

So I started off in less than fighting fitness, as well a tired from a late night on top of the clocks changing, and I have to admit to feeling the effects of last night's wine. 

There was fog outside, but I put it down to the proximity of the harbour, confident that a few hundred miles inland it would disperse. But it didn't. What's more there was evidence that every loon-behind-a steering-wheel had decided to target me, I was tailgated, overtaken, and generally harrassed. So I arrived at the shooting ground irritated as well as all that other stuff.

I had a cooked breakfast which probably did me no good from a cholesterol point of view but as it's something I always anticipate keenly I just had to have it.

Off we went, the three of us. It was still foggy, and some of those targets that start "over yonder" were very difficult to pick up; I'm slow anyway but I made a right hash of actually clapping eyes on them at first.

I shot really quite badly today, and I know why.

None of the reasons above are excuses, they are reasons that I really must think things through. The shooting doesn't start as you call "Pull!" for the first time that day, it starts yesterday, or even the day before. I just hadn't been sensible. Not for days. I shouldn't have gone shooting until I was fully recovered. I shouldn't have had that extra glass and a half of wine. I shouldn't have stayed up way past my bedtime.

Those things started me off badly, and made my tolerance of idiots on the road much lower than it should be. 

I was shooting in completely the wrong frame of mind today. Never mind footwork or hold point or gun fit or choke or choice of cartridge. Today went wrong two days ago. At my age I should really by now have learned to respect the fact that I'm not eighteen any more!

Learning curve, dont beet yourself up it happens to us all for many different reasons, thats life or more importantly thats shooting.

It's all about good preparation... I felt it really helped me on Sunday!

. At my age I should really by now have learned to respect the fact that I'm not eighteen any more!
Ha......join the club Charles!!!! I often get hacked off with myself, because I can remember the days when I could shoot properly. These days I'm generally happy to beat other old gits like me when I can, sometimes......on a very good day....I get to beat some of them young uns too. We all get good days and bad days, but very few guys can shoot as well in their 50's, 60's or 70's as they did in their 20's, 30's or 40's. As for frame of mind, yes I do think it can make a big difference as to how well you shoot, trying to turn off thoughts relating to non shooting matters is not always easy, especially if those matters are important. Just keep going and look forward to the next good day mate! :yes:

Ha......join the club Charles!!!! I often get hacked off with myself, because I can remember the days when I could shoot properly. These days I'm generally happy to beat other old gits like me when I can, sometimes......on a very good day....I get to beat some of them young uns too. We all get good days and bad days, but very few guys can shoot as well in their 50's, 60's or 70's as they did in their 20's, 30's or 40's. As for frame of mind, yes I do think it can make a big difference as to how well you shoot, trying to turn off thoughts relating to non shooting matters is not always easy, especially if those matters are important. Just keep going and look forward to the next good day mate! :yes:
Sage advice

Back