European FITASC Champs - live review

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know how the GB teams were placed?
Results are on the FITASC website

Seniors 4th place

Ladies 1st place

Vets 1st place

Super Vets 1st place

Juniors They don't appear to have a GB team listed in the Junior team results.

To find out how balanced a shoot is, one needs to find the mean average and disregard the top two and bottom two scores. An average of 65% is a fair shoot. Anything higher makes it easy and lower, harder.

Statistics are so much fun to play with. Since it is a holiday here, I will put the scores into a spreadsheet and play with them.

Henry

Six hundred and 10th place was 65% out of 660 places so even without a spreadsheet, on your 65% marker it was an easy shoot.

Here are the figures:

The AVERAGE was 81%

Mean Average was 79%

Standard deviation 19 targets!

Therefore, 19 targets made the difference between shooting above the average or below the average!

It was an easy shoot, even if you count in that the better shooters were there and not many "Joe Average"! Last year's World or the previous one in Latarina, both had much lower averages as there were many more average shooters present. The high score is irrelevant to the difficulty of the shoot.

There are two sayings among the many: It was too easy look at the high score! (If it was so easy, why did you miss so many?) They were very good targets! (repeat the previous! Why did you miss so many!)

It is about balance, fairness and innovation!

Henry

Balance fairness and innovation. None of the above it was toilet!

81% average give me a break- what a joke.

If that is sporting you can count me out. I missed plenty because I shoot gun up and it was probably the set of targets worst suited to me. My average was 94 including a couple of "unlucky" misses, which I'm sure others had. Not taking anything from the winners- brilliant shooting I'd have been well chuffed with. However 180 1/4ing away birds is not what I call balanced target setting. Only a matter of time before high gun is a shoot off on 200 straight.

Rant over!

In my personal opinion I can say the organisation and running of the event was very well done indeed, apart from the dash and grab of squad numbers and goodie bags which was a joke! Mind you I managed to mug a guy with some bags around his neck and get the hell out of the crazy rush!

In regards to the targets the top boys don't give a monkies about target quality they are there to do a job and win medals. The rest of us want to enjoy our holiday in the sun with some nice targets and have fun.

Being honest if those targets were set up at home in the UK then everyone would have slagged it off big time. However as it was well run and a nice occassion so it didn't matter here in Portugal.

The problem is a lot of the GB shooters commented it was not hard but they were more scared of missing because of the amount of 1/4 away birds and gimme targets. Maybe it is time to switch back home if we want to dominate at all levels again it is clear to me just from shooting in Europe that they just don't shoot the targets we do in the UK so why do it?

When I shot to my full I managed 49 ex 50 on the last day which tells the greatest story - Consitency was key at this championship anything under 23 a layout and you were out of it!!! 90 on the first 100 and 91 on the 2nd 100 was pleasing I managed to have a respectable comp, I had one shocker of an 18 which cost me big time and a 20 apart from that I was 23 and 24's with my last layout a straight to end the trip. These shoots are a survival and a marathon if you have a little slip it is game over!

Glen.

I love a good construte!

Yes should have mentioned- with the exception of the farce at the beginning re numbers the whole Thing ran incredibly smoothly and we had one hold up which was sorted within ten minutes. Squad times were running to the minute which was great.

Glen hit it on the head for me- it has become trying not to miss, as opposed to trying to hit.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's in Czech Republic next year where the Worlds was in 2007, Faulds won with a 175. Nice and tough.

I love a good construte!

Yes should have mentioned- with the exception of the farce at the beginning re numbers the whole Thing ran incredibly smoothly and we had one hold up which was sorted within ten minutes. Squad times were running to the minute which was great.

Glen hit it on the head for me- it has become trying not to miss, as opposed to trying to hit.
wise words "trying not to miss as opposed to trying to hit " ;)

I think you may find that although the targets in czech were extremely well set in a fantastic setting with good organisation there was an "X" factor at that particular event that kept scores artifically low...probably at least ten targets off of what it should have been (allegedly)....oh and if you go be warned it gets scarily hot out there!

I think you may find that although the targets in czech were extremely well set in a fantastic setting with good organisation there was an "X" factor at that particular event that kept scores artifically low...probably at least ten targets off of what it should have been (allegedly)....oh and if you go be warned it gets scarily hot out there!
Was that the year of the concrete targets Don or am I getting confused?

MrPotter

Well said Glenn! The Czech targets were actualy soft! One could stand on a target and it would not break! I saw a rabbit on the Compak hit with four pellets that did not break! A brittle target will break a soft one will not! Also at Konopiste, a study by one of my friends after day 1 showed that a majority of targets as singles and doubles had over 40M first shot attempts. I still have the spreadsheet. So combine insane distance with unbreakable targets, one gets terrible scores. We were never sure was it our shooting or the targets! Some would break two seconds after the shot went off. The ref never saw the break! While Konopiste was a lovely location, nice hospita;lity, buses that would tell you which parcour you were arriving at, both verbally and visibly, it was an awfull shooting event!

But the personal massages were.........................

Henry

Latest posts

Back