Essex Masters 2018

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot it Tuesday and enjoyed it. 82 Black 85 red. Was 3 away after the first six on black the the red on stand seven didn’t see a hit on the long battue so walked off that stand with a 5 when it should have been a 6. Lost my head and dropped a further 4 on the next stand. Killed my card but shouldn’t have let it get to me. 

All in all and nice set of targets and well worth going. 
Was it the ref with the board hung around his neck, if so we had several problems with him missing hits. Out of a squad of 6 people we had 4 hits marked as losses, I also had a dispute with him the previous year over the same sort of thing, someone noted to him I had hit one He marked as a loss, I didn't make a fuss but he refused to budge.

65 red and 69 Black.  Don’t know what was going on with me on the red course which we started with but the Black was all me not giving a toss.  Course was fine nothing wrong with it, I just had a really carp day.

65 red and 69 Black.  Don’t know what was going on with me on the red course which we started with but the Black was all me not giving a toss.  Course was fine nothing wrong with it, I just had a really carp day.
What bait were you using !

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm shooting this tomorrow morning, today is supposed to be sunny but it's light grey cloud here as far as the eye can see, but it looks like it'll stay dry. Looking at the BBC weather forecast I'll be lucky if it stays dry tomorrow though.  I haven't got a 4x4 but I have got some wellies.

Wife Brian Clegg and myself,leaving in 90 mins to meet the rest of our squad on the A14 at 12.15

I'm shooting this tomorrow morning, today is supposed to be sunny but it's light grey cloud here as far as the eye can see, but it looks like it'll stay dry. Looking at the BBC weather forecast I'll be lucky if it stays dry tomorrow though.  I haven't got a 4x4 but I have got some wellies.
Sun is breaking through!

Yes there's more blue sky now - maybe I'll get up to High Lodge later today for a quick walk round.  I bought some Cheddite Mach 3's this week maybe I'll give them a try, but I reckon I'll use 24g for the comp tomorrow.

Uncomfirmed but chat says

1 Sam Green

2 M Elworthy

2 B husthwaite

Helen Tinner photography i believe,not cheap 10 pound a print 25 if you want a digital file!
I agree it wasn't cheap, I paid £20 for 2 pics one as a group and another with a side profile of moi looking down the rib which could just as easily be Al Pacino  :lol:  (I wish) but have to say in principal it was a lovely touch and rather thoughtful for the organisers to have allowed it. 

I often regret not taking more pictures of us whilst out clay shooting, maybe more enterprises could be set up to do this sort of thing more regularly and perhaps drop the prices a tad too. 

I agree it wasn't cheap, I paid £20 for 2 pics one as a group and another with a side profile of moi looking down the rib which could just as easily be Al Pacino  :lol:  (I wish) but have to say in principal it was a lovely touch and rather thoughtful for the organisers to have allowed it. 

I often regret not taking more pictures of us whilst out clay shooting, maybe more enterprises could be set up to do this sort of thing more regularly and perhaps drop the prices a tad too. 
She has been at almost every big shoot at least in the south for the last year or so but 25 quid for a single pic and the digital file is a bit rich,have looked at the pics a couple of times and none have i felt were worthy of the money though i guess law of averages some must be good.

Stand one red,camera on the floor and an assistant randomly pushing a remote button....not a lot of skill in that!

She has been at almost every big shoot at least in the south for the last year or so but 25 quid for a single pic and the digital file is a bit rich,have looked at the pics a couple of times and none have i felt were worthy of the money though i guess law of averages some must be good.

Stand one red,camera on the floor and an assistant randomly pushing a remote button....not a lot of skill in that!
The money is spent on the hardware, supporting infrastructure, expenses, training and time spent learning the craft. 

One could say that theres not a lot of skill in pulling the trigger; everything leading up to that point does take a lot of skill though 😉

The common misconception that a decent camera takes decent pictures grates a bit. It’s the person taking the photo that has full creative control over the output. 

I'm conflicted here but having looked at Helen's website I'll say this.

As a photographer (amateur, I have never charged for a photo, but I have made prints for people at cost price) I think most people don't realise just how ruinously expensive it is to buy even an intermediate setup. 2 Bodies, some sticks, lights, and enough glass to cover all eventualities, plus software / hardware for post process is easily 30k plus. Add to this the time on the day spend shooting, followed by the time spent post processing (easily as much time again) makes decent quality photographs a premium product, that is usually undervalued.

However. For every good snapper, there are 50 people who own an SLR. I have watched and looked at the results of this sort of thing in the past and what people are willing to charge money for beggars belief in some cases. Helen's event Portfolio varies from adequate to "looks like it was shot on an iPhone" so in this case I would tend to agree that 25 quid a pop is probably a bit steep, but if her hit rate for sales is low due to the average quality of the shots, who knows how she is doing. 

Latest posts

Back