Essex Masters

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot this with Sibaldib, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Props to him for driving me up there and outshooting me too!

I shot better than last year, but not as well as the previous year and definitely underestimated where I was!

Good shoot, as usual though.

First two stands of black course, I could only hit one of the birds...So dropped 4 on each...not good.  Typical Dyson, I underestimated on one and over on the other!

The hardest target (imho), was the white l/r low crossed into the stream! Best bet was to get on it early, and shoot under, rather than leaving it too late.

On stand 13 Red, they are all hitable...but the Orange midi away, don't shoot it like a teal. Use bigger shot if you have it and just come up to it and shoot it as it drops, slightly up left side (assuming no wind).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I enjoyed the day, smooth running, hardly a no bird between us, squad of 7 in the morning and a squad of five in the afternoon.  Really no waiting as such and the weather was beautiful.   I was very happy to see the course was opened up again so much better.   My only criticism is that 15 mins between the two courses was not enough time to have a break.  It was just enough time to go for a wee and back down to the car park to fill up cartridges and it did affect me.  I am used  to shooting 200/300 on a Sunday but there is always a break between the shoots.

15 minutes?  There used to be enough time to have a roast dinner and a couple of pints in Halstead before the second round.
Not anymore and I am not exaggerating either - it was not enough time for me to recover

Not anymore and I am not exaggerating either - it was not enough time for me to recover
I haven't shot the EM for 3 years but I too always found the 15 min break too short.

I haven't shot the EM for 3 years but I too always found the 15 min break too short.
It definitely is and it cost me for sure.  i think having squads between squads plays a part - squad 9 and 9a and squad 10 and 10a .

On Tuesday we got an hour between layouts, I can only assume it's not so busy at beginning of week? We had a seven man squad then another got put on as we started so had 8 and quite a lot of the squads were the same in morning but fewer in afternoon. 15 minutes is not enough to go back get cartridges, drinks, something to eat,  toilet break etc, I would have been worn out I think.

On Tuesday we got an hour between layouts, I can only assume it's not so busy at beginning of week? We had a seven man squad then another got put on as we started so had 8 and quite a lot of the squads were the same in morning but fewer in afternoon. 15 minutes is not enough to go back get cartridges, drinks, something to eat,  toilet break etc, I would have been worn out I think.
You were lucky to get an hour on Tuesday. We were on squad nine on the red in the morning at 11.05 with 7, finished at 14.00 and were back out at 14.30 on the black with a squad of 4. We could have done with an hour really, we felt very rushed to get back to the car, refreshed and restocked etc.

Was the same last year,by the time we got the food we ordered they were calling us.

Packed lunch for me this year!
I always take a packed lunch and I ate my sandwich in between stands but apart from the water I drank around the first course I hadn't had a hot drink since we left at 8 am to drive there so by 2pm I really wanted one but no time to make it.  I had to power walk up that bloody slope to get back in time.  Next year I am just going to refuse to go out before at least a half hour break.

I shot this on Monday, which I believe was an extra day added so was quite a quiet day and therefore suited me fine.  Shot it in a squad of seven with the same ref. both times.  I was surprised at how short the break was (13.10-13.35)  and only just had time to eat/drink and re-stock shell bag.  I enjoyed it but there were for me too many stands where I could only hit one target, usually the A bird and then I'd miss an A bird 'cos I was concentrating too much on hitting the B bird, so that'd be a three on that stand.  It was my first time to shoot this and I'd love to have done it again later in the week and hopefully done better.  I scored better in the afternoon on the red course.

If you want a bigger break between layouts you need to pick an early start time.

I've shot 3 EM now and shot 11:30 start first year, got about 10 mins between layouts! Literally had a pee and grabbed more ammo and I was still late on second layout.

The next two years I've started at 9am and had 1:45 - 2 hours between layouts, which is a bit too long in all honesty but better than not long enough.

I didn't really enjoy the targets this year, too many edge on or going away targets for me. It's the same for everyone though! Just prefer to see the birds properly and have some at range.

Either way I'll be back next year

If you want a bigger break between layouts you need to pick an early start time.

I've shot 3 EM now and shot 11:30 start first year, got about 10 mins between layouts! Literally had a pee and grabbed more ammo and I was still late on second layout.

The next two years I've started at 9am and had 1:45 - 2 hours between layouts, which is a bit too long in all honesty but better than not long enough.

I didn't really enjoy the targets this year, too many edge on or going away targets for me. It's the same for everyone though! Just prefer to see the birds properly and have some at range.

Either way I'll be back next year
I think it is more random than that though.  Squad 9 and 10 went out at the same time.  Squad 9 got a half hour break and we got 15 minutes but then I don't think there was a squad 8a before them but there was a squad 9a after them and before us.  I'll either do it over two days next year or grow a pair and just say I am having half hour break.

I have to agree with Sian about it being random...we were squad 9a and started at 11am.

Took about 2 hours to shoot the red course in the morning virtually no wait at all for our squad the afternoon was the opposite queues at every stand and approximately 3.5hours.

I mentioned it to John after the first year and he said to book early in the day and you'll get a bigger break. It has worked for me although the weekend days are always rammed to not sure about these days.

I was squad 2a which start on Black, I believe 2b start on Red?

It is what it is and with 2000 entries over several days there is going to be some "sh*t happens" somewhere!

Latest posts

Back