English Open Sporting 2012 - Southdown Gc

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope - I'm done now. Valentines tomorrow though - don't forget.

Prize money announced http://www.cpsa.co.uk/news/championships/2012/05/21/english-open-sporting---guaranteed-prize-fund

The CPSA are happy to announce that we will guarantee the following prizes for the top shooters of the English Open Sporting at Southdown:

High Gun: £750

Runner Up: £550

Third: £350

We will also guarantee the following in classes:

1st in Class: £300

2nd in Class: £250

3rd in Class: £220

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said Clynt, The CPSA should start looking at the bottom of clay shooting and get some young blood into the sport not just focus on the rich who can practice four or five days a week and then go shoot a competition or two at the weekend. We aren't all made of money

day off work £150... fuel costs return trip £70... entry £50,... shells £16... bit of nosh £10...no thanks
Makes you wonder Clinto, can buy some nice fishing rods for the price of the day out !!!!! Roll on Barbel fishing

Guys, it's a major competition and it's been been running for yonks! I can't afford to practice x-amounts of times a week, I'm certainly not rich and I'm taking a day off to do it. You don't have to attend if you don't want to!

Name me another sport where I can compete in the in same competition and course as the best in the country/world. Deary me!

Tobi, you need to move into the real World and realise that people are struggling to pay the mortgage and for their child's education.

The prize fund listed is less than the CPSA HQ staff will spend on accommodation and expenses for the event.

Yes it is 'The English' and it has been going on for yonks! But without major sponsorship and only really rewarding a few, how about encouraging ladies, juniors , and rewarding veterans?

Don't give me that tosh about competing with the best in the world, how about The Great North Run, London, New York Marathons.

How about going and living in an African mud hut and becoming a highly paid footballer? Or would you be prepared to have your brain damaged to be a Rooney?

Explain to me where the CPSA memberships subscription goes apart from on legal settlements and computers.

I live in the real world, but thanks for asking! Running, I take your point. Sorry to have missed those, please forgive me.

I can see both sides of the argument.........but in running you'll never get near the "elite" runners let alone be squaded with one of them.

For a major comp i would have thought the prize money would have gone further down the ranks than 3rd in each class.

The top guns will fight it out for the top prize money.

Us C class shooters will have to overcome the top 3 sandbaggers to get near to any prize money.

Disappointing really, and yes they should be rewarding the ladies,juniors,colts,vets etc.

Stiil will enjoy the day with the Shootclay squad.

I agree with Tobi, unless you are in the top percentile then most sports you get involved in are going to cost you money to participate in.

Personal finances are a bit irrelevant, if you have not got the money to enter then you are not going to enter regardless of the prize fund as there is no guarantee you will win it.

Prize money does not encourage the juniors, getting them to have a go in the first place or subsidised shooting at a local grounds does.

I raced Motocross to a half decent level and won a few regional championships, apart from plastic trophies and nice shields to give back at the end of the year my prize haul was just the odd tyre, chain lube, petrol can and other cheap tat any money won would not cover the costs to race at all.

Even when I got a good sponsorship deal I was still out of pocket just to a lesser extent.

The CPSA has its faults but believe me they pale in significance compared to the AMCA or ACU.

darts, poker you can all enter the same comps and whittle your way thru to the finals

name me another sport that pays out bigger to the lower classes like we do for shooting. there is simply no financial reward for making the effort and getting into the top classes.

there was a time when the majors were special :) but this seems to be fading fast !! the CPSA should be doing more to ensure it feels like a great day out, trade stands, gun manufacturers with demo guns staging pool shoots with their guns, reasonable costed catering,and most of all targets of quality and variation that are not seen week-in, week-out. it seems a poor way of repaying members currently, surely more could be done through sponsorship to give more back as prizes ?? the top boys will always take the top spoils and rightly so, but for 5% of the shooters to take 90% of the prizes does seem a little cynical.

Entries get smaller each and every year, this needs addressing now...treat members as members of a club and not just a source of income....those who may never win must feel it is worth the time and money to take part, and feel part of a celebration of clay shooting at it's best.....................I'M OFF FISHING

ANYWAY! - Back on topic, really looking forward to it and the weather is looking superb! Summer skeet vest and shorts order of the day. Scorchio!

For a major comp i would have thought the prize money would have gone further down the ranks than 3rd in each class.

The top guns will fight it out for the top prize money.

Us C class shooters will have to overcome the top 3 sandbaggers to get near to any prize money.

Disappointing really, and yes they should be rewarding the ladies,juniors,colts,vets etc.

Stiil will enjoy the day with the Shootclay squad.
better payout at Weston wood ????Get real chaps this is a major championship, they have had all year to get sponsorship,Essex masters sorts it , the classic and world beretta etc ? People at the top of other sports don't compete for £100 ? They wouldn't waste there time, it's a shame the sports not sponsored more, as it is a great discipline to be involved in :)

I am a six month novice at the sport and don't stand a prayer of winning in C or anywhere else.......yet! :cool: But I will still be going because if you are not going to attend the "majors" in your sport when you can, why bother with the sport at all. It is hardly as if you are going to mint it at any other shooting competition.....As has been discussed previously, the key to greater prize money is sponsorship and that means the CPSA and the SHOOTING COMMUNITY AS A WHOLE embracing the "rich" and their corporate bretherin and kissing their butts without carrying a "chip"....cos the money ain't going to miraculously appear from anywhere else!

As for who gets the money..I have always firmly believed that competition is about the best taking home the booty...the more a sport tampers with that the more likely it is to encourage mediocrity or in the case of handicapping, cheating.

Roll on Friday....

Back