Eley Superbs - Residue Left.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cayman

After 26 years away from sporting clay shooting, I've returned with a new Beretta and i can't get enough of it. Why did i ever give it up ??

Back in the 1980's i shot over 100,000 of the Eley Olympic Trap 8's n 9's, so i was pleased to see Eley are still making rebranded Olympics and a newer product the Superb's, so i purchased 2000 Superb 8's and off i went. They are a great fast cartridge.

After the first use and now 1000 shells through the new Beretta, it is extremely disappointing to see the amount hard residue and burnt plastic these Superbs leave through the barrel, not just at the cone, but right to the choke.

I've tried at least 7 or 8 Gun Bore / Solvent Cleaners, none shift it.

By the traditional barrel cleaning methods Its taking me 2 - 3 hours to get just the barrels somewhere where they need to be. This is after using Wire Wool on a Jag and White Spirit and loads of elbow. Eley what's going on ?

I've showed the barrels to two Gun Smiths, they were surprised at the residue left by the Superbs and advised a change of cartridge.

Anyone else share this issue and any recommendations for cleaning ?

Is this a common factor with the modern cartridge ?

After 26 years away from sporting clay shooting, I've returned with a new Beretta and i can't get enough of it. Why did i ever give it up ??

Back in the 1980's i shot over 100,000 of the Eley Olympic Trap 8's n 9's, so i was pleased to see Eley are still making rebranded Olympics and a newer product the Superb's, so i purchased 2000 Superb 8's and off i went. They are a great fast cartridge.

After the first use and now 1000 shells through the new Beretta, it is extremely disappointing to see the amount hard residue and burnt plastic these Superbs leave through the barrel, not just at the cone, but right to the choke.

I've tried at least 7 or 8 Gun Bore / Solvent Cleaners, none shift it.

By the traditional barrel cleaning methods Its taking me 2 - 3 hours to get just the barrels somewhere where they need to be. This is after using Wire Wool on a Jag and White Spirit and loads of elbow. Eley what's going on ?

I've showed the barrels to two Gun Smiths, they were surprised at the residue left by the Superbs and advised a change of cartridge.

Anyone else share this issue and any recommendations for cleaning ?

Is this a common factor with the modern cartridge ?
wire wool !!!!!!!! don't think that is a good move if you use it often .......  change shell time ?

wire wool !!!!!!!! don't think that is a good move if you use it often .......  change shell time ?
The Wire Wool brings the Barrels up like new, (apart from heavy left residue) but yes Clynt, i should not be using this every Sunday night..

If you're spending 2-3 hours on getting the barrels clean then there is definitely a problem, just not so sure it has much to do with the cartridge residue.  :lol: :lol:

Please lets get a realistic handle on this, I have used Superbs extensively until very recently and apart from a short period a few years ago when they left unburnt powder in and around the action there has been no problem. My solution to this problem back then was to steadfastly refuse to let it interfere with my life; if you're into barrel scrubbing by all means do so but just remember that a single cartridge fired afterwards will put you back where you started. 

Guns are manufactured from some extremely resilient materials in order to be able to cope with hard use in often corrosive environments, nothing will happen if you just brush the obvious stuff away and give things a going over with a rag. 

It is also just possible that you may have a fairly old batch or that they may have been stored in damp conditions, ultimately if it bothers you that much find a cartridge that burns cleaner but as I said nothing will happen with a bit of dirt on the surface of the right kind of metal. If it did we'd have to wipe our car engines clean twice a week. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bronze brush on a half length rod in a cordless drill will turn your cleaning time from 2 to 3 hours into minutes  but why bother life's to short.

Probably being a tad OCD in the barrel cleaning department myself :bye: , I can understand your frustration.  I find that Napier's Cleaner/lubricant and a stiff copper bore cleaner brush gets 99% of the residue off easily http://www.amazon.co.uk/Napier-Cleaner-Lubricant-Aerosol-Spray/dp/B00067ZRGE

Having to resort to the bore cleaner solvent is an infrequent event - Fiocchi and these new Jockers (Fiocchi internals apparently) seem to leave almost no plastic fouling behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bronze brush on a half length rod in a cordless drill will turn your cleaning time from 2 to 3 hours into minutes  but why bother life's to short.
I have used 10 gauge bronze brushes since as far back as I can remember and the barrels come up clean. 

Superbs are spotless in my K. Two pokes of the rod and it's done. It could be something to do with Berettata's 11 bore barrels. 

Never spent 3 hours cleaning anything  - not even the house.

I've had this problem with Beretta 682 Gold E and Superbs in the past. I found spray with Legia but leave over night. Then scrub with a chamber brush and finished off with wads of kitchen role.

I've had this problem with Beretta 682 Gold E and Superbs in the past. I found spray with Legia but leave over night. Then scrub with a chamber brush and finished off with wads of kitchen role.
I did this, sprayed with Legia and left overnight. Followed by Scrub with Bronze Brush and Soft Patches.

This (Browning Legia) worked for me. Thanks Chesterse.

Back