Dropping barrel length -a mistake?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dibs

Having been used to shooting 32 (or longer) for a number of years I've been hunting for a new gun this year and shooting a few. Mostly 32's or even 34's.

I've been offered an as new DT11 at a steal but is a 30 inch gun. It's a good 700 cheaper than a used 32 so a bargain.

But.... Having shot longer barrels for years is the saving financially not worth it in respect of performance?

I've picked up a mates 30 inch DT11 and it felt shorter but shot fine so what to do?

I'd sort of decided on a 34 inch Guerini or Blaser but shot a 32" DT11 and liked it a lot, hence my dilemma as it's a bargain but do I stick with what I know!..?

Some wise words would be appreciated.!!!

Here's some wisdom = = = = barrel length proper has nothing to do with anything.

Guns "feel" different based on fit, weight and weight distribution

There is no ballistic advantage to barrels longer than 22-24 inches that any target or bird will know - might even top out shorter than that these days

besta luck

Kind of agree with wonko however having said that i have tried a few 32 over the years and even propped on my toe they didn't feel right to me. Don't spose you will know till you try and you never know it may be the best thing you ever did.

Don't quote me on that though :)

:crazy:  Yeah buy a 34" sporter for £3000 or so sell it in 5 months for £1200 if you are lucky? :fie:   :fie:

As the 'must have' barrel length seems to increasing 2 inches ever couple of years why not get ahead of the game and buy a 36 inch?

Don't know the answer but a lot of World class OT shooters use 30 inch barrels . May be perculiar to that discipline though??

I must say I recently saw a chap shooting ABT with a 34 inch Blaser and it was nearly as long as he was tall. Looked like a broom handle!!

I guess it depends to some degree on your stauture but as Ed says, if the 30 inch DT11 feels nicely balanced in the hands then go for it, especially as its a bargain.

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
34" is fine assuming you can handle it. I never get the depreciation thing myself- if I get a gun I will not be looking to get rid in a year or two. It's a bit of kit that will be used for a long time, if it is worth a few quid less in 10 years time you will have had your value out of it!

Having been used to shooting 32 (or longer) for a number of years I've been hunting for a new gun this year and shooting a few. Mostly 32's or even 34's.

I've been offered an as new DT11 at a steal but is a 30 inch gun. It's a good 700 cheaper than a used 32 so a bargain.

But.... Having shot longer barrels for years is the saving financially not worth it in respect of performance?

I've picked up a mates 30 inch DT11 and it felt shorter but shot fine so what to do?

I'd sort of decided on a 34 inch Guerini or Blaser but shot a 32" DT11 and liked it a lot, hence my dilemma as it's a bargain but do I stick with what I know!..?

Some wise words would be appreciated.!!!
If you're asking whether you should buy a 30" DT11 then my advice would be NO. I accept and appreciate that different guns handle differently etc, but a friend who is a forum member bought one against my gentle advice as I reckoned even as a beginner he would eventually want the longer one and sure enough within months he swapped it for a 32" which is a belter.

I have shot both and the 32" version is better suited to ESP and handled and balanced better too, luckily both were 2nd hand purchases so he lost next to nothing but you may find the 30" harder to shift.

cheers for the advice all. it's probably more a head thing than anything else. shooting a Guerini 32 this weekend and then will decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorted now and new Guerini on the way next week. Following some ever helpful advice From the guys at Guerini and shooting one I have bought a high rib Maxum which shoots lovely in 32.

DT would have been great but just felt too light / short for me on reflection.

Now the learning starts ready for next year.

If we all wait long enough 26" barrels will be back in fashion again.

All I will say Boys is ....."I am ready"!!  :sarcastic:

But seriously Dibs, best of luck with you new Guerini, just give it time and it will work for you. :biggrin: It really is a matter of getting used to it. They all handle differently, and they can all be shot effectively, it only becomes confusing when you chop and change. That's one unfortunate by-product of having too many different types.

Sorted now and new Guerini on the way next week. Following some ever helpful advice From the guys at Guerini and shooting one I have bought a high rib Maxum which shoots lovely in 32.
DT would have been great but just felt too light / short for me on reflection.
Now the learning starts ready for next year.
Good choice.
Enjoy it.

That was me hammy, should have listened....gggrrr...still no harm done....managed to shift the 30" get a 32" shoots miles better. feels better too

I must admit that I am going to sell my 682 EX 32'' as I find it just too heavy for OT and UT and going back to a 30'' but not sure what gun although a do want to try a DT10 trap.

I will want however a 32'' for ESP as they just seem far more steady and pointable. I had a play with a friend's 686 EVO 32''sporter which was very responsive yet remaining steady in the hands so may go for one of those for the bit of sporting I do.

Still got my 26'' Remmy 3200 for when the rebirth happens !!

Phil

Quick question, if someone buys a 30" gun and then sticks extended chokes in, does this remain a 30" gun or 30" plus extension?

Latest posts

Back