Driven targets - Allowed to turn in the cage ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Playing devils advocate .......

If the ground people don't have the necessary tools to adjust a cage then surely they shouldn't set targets that might compromise safety if someone uses the sweep allowed by the cage! The target setter should consider the cages restrictions ( or lack of them ) and the shooters propensity for trying to get at everything, when setting the course.

What is specified ... is that you stay within the 'window' of the cage. If the target setter sets a target that takes shot outside whats safe then it's the target setters fault not the shooter ..... or the ref!
I'm not playing devil's advocate at all but I'm afraid it just isn't as simple as you want it to be. Cages come in all sorts of shapes, configurations, materials and structure. Sometimes there's just a hoop on the ground as with Fitasc. The course setter cannot cater for each and every eventuality and everyone relies to some extent on the competitors (and ground crew) acting sensibly and safely.

I've shot Fitasc where you are in a hoop (no constraint for pointing), where there are pairs of targets in very different locations. The shooter has to state in which direction they would be rotating themselves between shots so as not to be arcing round through the waiting squad. A bit of common sense and agreement needed there..

The singles in Fitasc can come from everywhere! At one particular Windrush shoot, the whole squad spent so much time shuffling out of the way as a little herd that we suspected Steve Lovatt was filming us, ready to play it back speeded up with the Benny Hill music dubbed over.

I've shot Fitasc where you are in a hoop (no constraint for pointing), where there are pairs of targets in very different locations. The shooter has to state in which direction they would be rotating themselves between shots so as not to be arcing round through the waiting squad. A bit of common sense and agreement needed there..

The singles in Fitasc can come from everywhere! At one particular Windrush shoot, the whole squad spent so much time shuffling out of the way as a little herd that we suspected Steve Lovatt was filming us, ready to play it back speeded up with the Benny Hill music dubbed over.
I remember that shoot 😂

Seems as tho a great cinematic moment was missed!  If you can't persuade Lovatt to do it perhaps you can get a support crew to participate.  Get a few million views on youtube likely hahaha

Driven targets should be shot as driven , not as crossers. The stand in question at Hodnet if shot as a crosser drops shot onto other stands and can cause problems . Stands need to be clearly marked as to be shot as driven and transgretions need to be marked as " losses".

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you shoot one eyed I cannot understand people wanting to turn and a driven target as a crosser. They are one of the easiest targets to keep on the line of and you can pull through them and take them out front or wait and measure the gap to take them overhead.

Latest posts

Back