Doveridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because they don't want to.
Comps are stress and I guess don't earn as much from them as they do from open practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kibworth going the same way then Do you think?
Gone the same way already.
No Registered shoots at Kibworth.
To much to be made from practise shooters.
The registered game is to hit and miss. They need numbers to break even and a reg puts off the regulars.
My guess is also they can't be bothered with the moaning before during and after a competition.

Cross Gun  Kinver ( Terry Hale's place) used to do competition and you would find all the Midlands Heroes there.

Terry stopped competition due to the continual bickering about prize money, bullying of referees and smudged cards.

He is possibly busier now than he ever was and the ground has an ambience of friendliness with lots of smiles and many regulars.

Targets are still exceptional , and crafty, if you can shoot well at Kinver you will cope at most places.

Doveridge used to be a Mecca for Skeet , what's gone wrong there?

Perhaps we should all stop and take a good look at ourselves?

Why has Doveridge , Kinver, Kibworth and many others decided to do this?

Why has Hodnet made massive alterations to the Ground and clubhouse, but has not got any major championship shoots this year?

Yet all the above grounds are busier than ever.

If the trend is towards more shooting for pleasure and corporate entertainment there will be less need for the CPSA as it currently functions.

Could our sport grow as a leisure industry as opposed to a competition orientated sport?

I think what is happening now is the amount of people shooting both practice and comps is growing, which is great for the sport

Take a look at the amount of entries at 4 comps close to me last Sunday hornet,crazy bear,gunsite and Westfield all four had massive entries for a cold day at the start of January

Some people only shoot practice for fun which is fair enough but for a lot of people practice is a means to an end, to help them compete better in comps

Chris, good point. But It would be interesting to see out of the four busy shoots, how many had the same shooters doing two, or even three (perhaps not in winter). So, perhaps 600 entries (guess) but only 400 discrete shooters?

Looking at this forum for instance, it is clear that shooting contains a real 'tip of the iceberg' of competition shooters. The bulk of the iceberg is made of more casual shooters.

The figures about shotgun certificate holdes are colossal. 580,000 in UK or something. But only 25,000 CPSA members and only 6,000 of those ever shoot a reg shoot. And only 1200 do over 3 comps a year? (Sorry, all numbers from memory, but I'm not far off..).

So, my point is that there is an extremely active minority keeping the competition side of the sport going, rather than zillions of casual folk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clever, 

Scary numbers in reality when we consider the number of untapped potential.

BASC have approximately 130,000 members of which many are deer stalkers, dog triallers, and country folk in general.

So actually there is a massive potential membership for an organisation to cater for clay shooters needs, such as education and training, social gatherings.The competition shooters being the small tip of an iceberg really does hit home when we see the same familiar faces in a radius of 60 miles at the local competitions. 

Chris" what's it cost you to do two a day plus pool shoot £150 with fuel! £600 a month! Cost will play a big part for the shooter & the ground. How can we make it less exspencive! I would travel more, but the cost of derv out weighs the pleasure. Please guys don't give the refs a hard time, its their day off too.

Yeah it normally costs around the£130-£150 mark to do two shoots, I pretty much always drive but very rarely on my own that way fuel costs are kept down,

The only other way 2 keep costs down is dont bother with the pool shoot

Chris" do you think we could mark our own cards per stand? Just been talking to John Winn he says we would all cheat! I'm not so sure, Well done by the way on the 100. Would you mind if I put £100 bet on for you to win the world at churchills in May, if you don't win just remember I've got a gun! No presure.

Yeah it normally costs around the£130-£150 mark to do two shoots, I pretty much always drive but very rarely on my own that way fuel costs are kept down,

The only other way 2 keep costs down is dont bother with the pool shoot
It costs most people £150. But Chris pays his money through a special little revolving door, that passes back nice envelopes. :)

Latest posts

Back