Dog retirement.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarsJ

My oldest dog (11 years, 75 % labrador, 25% Danish pointer but 100% Labrador in mind). He has been a retrieving dog all his life (required by law in Denmark if you hunt wetlands). He has been/still is a brilliant dog for that. Softest bite when picking up game, always straight back to me, apart from a shake when coming out of the water. 

He has now reached that age where the arthritis makes it to hard for him, two birds collected and he is done, I can see he is sore and uncomfortable. But he still enjoys it tremendously! And still wants to please me and wants to retrieve.  

My question is how do I get about this. I know I’m giving him way more  human “characteristics and feelings” than he has. But he still gets excited every time I don my kit. He is still all up and going in the beginning. But as mentioned! 2 retrieves and he is knackered. After that he still wants to go, but I won’t let him. On the way back, I always have good mates that will leave a bird ahead, fire of a gun and then just a short field retrieve (no swimming in cold lake). He gets to carry that all the way to parade!, proud as a king. Do I “disappoint”  him and let him stay at home (he has probably forgotten all about it after 2 minutes). Do I still take him out, keep him on my side and then just let him get the “fake” retrieve?  Or any other way to work around this?

And no, he is not ready to be put down yet, he is just arthritic. And he is also a family dog, always where we are...

Appreciate all inputs.

Lars

.wow, you obviously both have a great love for each other 👍 have you tried him on any medication, maybe a herbal / natural remedy could help with the arthritis ?

.wow, you obviously both have a great love for each other 👍 have you tried him on any medication, maybe a herbal / natural remedy could help with the arthritis ?
Yes he gets glucosamine. And I have some painkillers if need be (days when it’s really bad).

The love part...just a normal dog owner thing isn’t it 😂 like/love the other one just as much. (Always found that caring and love, but still being alpha makes the best training). Rewards makes the dogs so much better than punishment. And all done as playing, they don’t know I’m manipulating them, they think we just have fun and play....

As  a side story, I can’t bring them on the clay ground (only shot clays for a little over a year). The see all the guns and hear all the noises. Old one is looking for game to retrieve, the young one wants to run zig zag pattern and point and flush... they are so disappointed when it’s only broken orange china....

Lars

My big dog (in my avatar picture) has worked and is big fit and healthy.  He is 9 now and developed a spot of arthritis in his front right paw.  His food is good, but he was becoming quite lame at times.  after trying a few things, the one that definitely works for him is YuMove Dog.  He now walks with me on long walks, He can swim and still does a bit of retrieving.  His lameness has gone and this additive to his food has made big difference to his demeanour.  It takes a couple of weeks to get it going in his system, but now he is on it permanently.

I tried glucosamine and green lipped muscle, but this has both.  Amazon has it at a good price and I buy it off there.  He gets 3 tablets a day.

Mine comes to the clay ground with me.  He particularly likes the driven stand where I allow him a retrieve or 2 as he is nowhere near any shotfall.  He loves it.

I hope this helps.

My big dog (in my avatar picture) has worked and is big fit and healthy.  He is 9 now and developed a spot of arthritis in his front right paw.  His food is good, but he was becoming quite lame at times.  after trying a few things, the one that definitely works for him is YuMove Dog.  He now walks with me on long walks, He can swim and still does a bit of retrieving.  His lameness has gone and this additive to his food has made big difference to his demeanour.  It takes a couple of weeks to get it going in his system, but now he is on it permanently.

I tried glucosamine and green lipped muscle, but this has both.  Amazon has it at a good price and I buy it off there.  He gets 3 tablets a day.

Mine comes to the clay ground with me.  He particularly likes the driven stand where I allow him a retrieve or 2 as he is nowhere near any shotfall.  He loves it.

I hope this helps.
Thanks. I’ll have a look at that. 

Ohh and no loose dogs on our grounds, that is a big no no. But I can open our own trap field. Maybe I should take the young one out on a non shoooting day and fling some straight away OT clays. Just sit with the remote and let him retrieve, while having a cup of coffee..😄

Lars

Well it’s all irrelevant now. He was put to sleep on Tuesday afternoon. He has been sleeping a lot more than usual the last week and a half. Then Tuesday all of a sudden he stood still and wouldn’t respond to me calling his name.  First I thought brain hemorrhage. But the he kind of gasped for air for a while. Then he wouldn’t lie down, and walked around for a bit. We  went for a short walk, he walked very slow, and after 100 meters he stopped and looked back home. At home he had cold paws, and lips. The white of his eyes were very white. And pressing on his gums, showed a slow capillary time. (Typical signs of blood loss)

Of to the vet,  and X-ray confirmed what I thought. His spleen had a large tumor (not cancerous, just blood). So there was not much blood in his veins. He was an old dog. Arthritis and all. And if the tumor would burst he’d die within 15 minutes in horrible abdominal pain. So the hard, but correct decision was made in unison with my wife. We said goodbye to the best retriever I ever had, must cunning and cheeky dog at the house, and a love able family member.

Lars

LarsJ,

I feel for you , but without doubt you did the correct thing .

I had exactly the same situation some years ago with Penny , one of my Labs , 100 metres and she just lay down , picked her up , off to Vets , and it was time .

Funnily enough , I think we can all see the sign to say goodbye in a dog's eyes , they just look 'gone' . God bless you all , live with the happy memories.

Thank you Salopian.

We all know it when we get them. We have them on borrowed time. But still hate it when it needs to be done. Comfort is though, he had a good 10,5 years and a few bad hours. 

Lars

Condolences Lars I had similar thing with my spaniel but as salopian says have lots of good memories of the twelve years we had enjoying fun times 

So sorry to read this Lars.  Hope the many years of happy memories will bring some comfort going forward.  

Well it’s all irrelevant now. He was put to sleep on Tuesday afternoon. He has been sleeping a lot more than usual the last week and a half. Then Tuesday all of a sudden he stood still and wouldn’t respond to me calling his name.  First I thought brain hemorrhage. But the he kind of gasped for air for a while. Then he wouldn’t lie down, and walked around for a bit. We  went for a short walk, he walked very slow, and after 100 meters he stopped and looked back home. At home he had cold paws, and lips. The white of his eyes were very white. And pressing on his gums, showed a slow capillary time. (Typical signs of blood loss)

Of to the vet,  and X-ray confirmed what I thought. His spleen had a large tumor (not cancerous, just blood). So there was not much blood in his veins. He was an old dog. Arthritis and all. And if the tumor would burst he’d die within 15 minutes in horrible abdominal pain. So the hard, but correct decision was made in unison with my wife. We said goodbye to the best retriever I ever had, must cunning and cheeky dog at the house, and a love able family member.

Lars
Lars, I have a 10 year old lab sitting at my feet fast asleep whilst I am reading this and crying. I feel your pain., this is my third dog and it never gets any easier my friend. You and your wife done the correct thing for your dog, may not be the easiest thing for you, but for the dog it was.  Take care all of you, have happy memories and go out and look for another one, it will never replace the dog you lost but it gives you something to look forward to and to focus on. 

Condolences Lars, the day that this happened to me, was the day I all but gave up live quarry shooting.  I do 2/3 days a season at most now.

what a sad story , I prefer dogs to humans  most of the time  , but you did the right thing !   its a painless end  for him ,  but not for you and your family .  

I can but only imagine how you feel.

No doubt at all that you did the right thing. Happy memories will remain and dog is waiting for you in doggie heaven.

Here he is, from pup to a few weeks ago. Getting more grey over the years 😊

Lars

FB_IMG_1539446342642.jpg

Back