diy gun fix

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavB

I have got a slightly loose forend on my Beretta 686e. There is a bit of sideways movement, when I tap the side of the forend you can hear it hit the barrels. Any ideas on how to fix this? Also I have a few dents and scratches on the stock that need raising, I am aware of the ironing technique, can anyone point me in the right direction of a step by step article on how to restore the stock please? Cheers all

Gav if you take off the forend you will see 2/3 screws in the metal works for the forend, check that they are tightened, if they are tight and there's still a little rattle or movement try a couple of those small sticky backed felt pads and stick a couple inside the forend this should stop the rattle or than that it's a job for a gun smith.For the dents I normally use a little cotton square which I soak the four points in water and if you carfully place one point over the dent and usin the HOT iron set it on top of the patch corner over the dent and hold until the patch either dries out or starts to burn brown, check the dent to see how much it's moved if any at all and repeat the process changing to a new clean wet corner until the dent is lifted, dents have a tendency to retract again after a few days/week so you might need to go back and repeat the whole process again, the secret is "little & often" until it's done to much too quick and you can make it even worse - make sure you re oil it when you get it lifted /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif Nige 

claire said:

tru oil is good but you can use linseed oil all good
Yeah as Claire says truoil is very good but if you use linseed oil use the boiled stuff as it works in better and is less sticky, palm it well in and buff up so it's dry to the touch so your cloth slides off. Nige

GavB said:

thanks all   i take it a local diy store will have boiled linseed oil
yeah I got mine at B&Q for a fiver  Nige

thanks Nige had a go tonight and got some of them outwill have a go again tomorrowthen try the oildoes the oil colour the wood or are there stains to darken the wood

GavB said:

thanks Nige had a go tonight and got some of them outwill have a go again tomorrowthen try the oildoes the oil colour the wood or are there stains to darken the wood
Gav,To colour the wood you need something like Alkanet root oil Mixture or a coloured stain. But in both cases you need to strip the stock and forend back to bare wood first. To do this properly takes a good amount of work and plenty of time. Heres my stock after removing the laceur and staining with CCL stain and fininshing oil
HPIM0715.jpg

GavB said:

your dents should lift and still be the same colour as long as you don't completely dry out the cloth with the iron, the boiled linseed oil won't really darken the wood but you can buy many different shades of stain in hardware shops - a little goes a long way so just do a small bit at a time and you should be fine.Nige

Thanks all whats the best thing to remove the finish mine has a matt oil finish, most has been removed from the stock but ive yet to do the forend as this had no dents in also i wont be sanding any of the chequred areas for obvious reasons im trying to acheive  a dark stain, the grain is very ordinary and ive always prefered the darker woods

Back