Diet & pre-shoot food?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bisondan

So, my father has had quite a serious health-scare recently and hasn't taken his type 2 diabetes seriously enough which has ended up in him being quite poorly.  Seeing him like this has opened my eyes to say the least.

For those that have met me I'm a bit of a lump and am going to make some changes to my diet and lifestyle.  

Im thinking that the pre-shoot food that is normally a great big fry up or a bacon cheeseburger isn't doing my health or shooting any good.  Yesterday for example I had the large breakfast in the cafe before shooting and I felt pretty sluggish during the round.

Was just wondering what everyone on here eats (if anything) before they shoot?  I do keep hydrated, I take a litre of water and a 500ml bottle of lucozade sport round with me.

Porridge,.................it is the only chance I get to sow any oats nowadays, wild or otherwise  !

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm bad too Bisondan but the opposite - I often don't eat at all until the end of the first shoot on a Sunday and that's often no good either. Bow hen I remember to eat I often have a cold boiled egg and a banana.

I find if I have a full fry up I'm sluggish and don't shot my best so iv just started having toast or a little bacon sandwich. 

Was just wondering what everyone on here eats (if anything) before they shoot?  I do keep hydrated, I take a litre of water and a 500ml bottle of lucozade sport round with me.
I'm not an early riser and I hate to eat before I have been up and about for a good while, so usually I'm hungry just as I book in at a shoot. But.. I won't have more than a bacon roll before I head out, just because of bulk. Lots of water in my shooting bag. I don't drink Lucozade because it seems unnecessary calories that I don't want to add to my overweight self.

The only time I will have a full English is if it's mid / late morning, (usually at Owls Lodge) so I'm starving by then, it's breakfast and lunch combined and it doesn't leave me stuffed.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not what you had Sunday
I had a guilty McD breakfast bap before 9 (which ain't exactly a health kick, but it's small) and then a very mean bacon sandwich after the STR at 12. It was you lot stuffing the full English! ?

3x weetabix with honey, full cream milk and some sort of fruit (banana, raspberry, strawberry etc.). Save the burgers/full English till after the shoot as I do find it can make me sluggish. That is unless I'm shooting that far away I need something by the time I get there, often travel 2hrs+. Then I'll try to make it only just enough to stave off the anorexia till I've finished the round. There's often cake involved then .. I do find energy drinks helpful, the isotonic variety though not the eyes wide caffeine type.

Cant go wrong with plenty of Staffordshire oatcakes with butter on and some water to wash em down with.

Hmm. Lots of advice here. For me, protein shake first thing, then try to eat a high protein, low carb snack every 3 hours or so. Never drink isotonics, just good old H20. 

Ed's suggestion of porridge, eggs and steak is a good start. If you can't stomach steak, lean bacon is just as good - but forgo the bread/toast!

if you're concerned about your weight and fitness levels, start hill walking. Great for burning calories without burning muscle too...

its a different mentality and mind-set  nowadays  , lots of our very best shots  eat sensibly and  workout  to maintain good fitness levels  , they approach shooting in a professional  way ,  constructive practice etc  ,   ok mr digweed is a exception !     but on average slobs like me will never win anything .   except the pork pie cup  !    :bye:

Porridge and a banana. Some dried fruit and nuts for snacking and plenty of water..... None of those rubbish 'energy' drinks.

mind you, nothing tastes or smells better than a bacon sandwich (with sausage, egg, black pudding etc)

Latest posts

Back