Dartford - FITASC Sporting - 2nd Feb

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
My first time at Dartford yesterday, in the shadow of the Dartford Crossing bridge (map) - the ground is pretty big with tons of space for Skeet, Trap and Sporting layouts. The FITASC Series is being set by John Dyson - and he had a little table setup in front of a scoreboard ready for the FSP - we booked in and settled down in the huge clubhouse for a coffee. Despite some nice sunshine, the flat ground meant we were exposed to a brisk Northerly all day - with some shelter and sunshine, it was quite warm - but on 10/12 pegs I was grateful for my thermal baselayer and a big coat in between hoop time.

Format was to shoot two layouts back to back - then a very welcome hour break - and onto the final two layouts. Pace of the day was excellent, no delays and only a couple of no-birds all day - excellent value at £48 for 100 targets.

We shot Marsh and Trench first - close to clubhouse - old style layouts with some decent targets - the hoop positioning was subtle, it didn't look like we had moved far - but target positioning was excellent so that the variation was tricky and really had you thinking. There was a great battue on the Marsh layout that got harder through the three layouts and a high teal that was really interesting.  The Trench layout was next door - set on a trap layout and with some really tricky targets that dived into the ground in the strong wind, two rabbits that caught a few out and a fierce edge on midi that was interesting in the sim pair at the end.

Decent length break in the middle - enough for some lunch and a relax in the club house. Food was excellent and a good price - and the clubhouse has enough seating and sofas so that you can chill for a bit. 

After lunch was the Tower and Platform layouts - interestingly you can drive across the SG to reach these, there is a second car park with another clubhouse for the skeet ranges - and the next parcours were set in the land next to those - we were pretty close to the river now, and the open, flat landscape made it bitterly cold.  Once again, enjoyed the shooting here - the tower layout had some quick targets including a couple of edgy crossers and another high teal that was very wind affected.  The platform layout had more of the some, a rangy edge on midi, and another flat blaze clay that dived into the scrubby bush there.  The final peg was shot from the top of an old shipping container that had been turned into the aforementioned platform.

Overall - an excellent day of shooting - with great targets, and a great ground to shoot at. The clubhouse and facilities are excellent and the ground is huge enough that they can put on quite different layouts despite not having a huge amount of topography to call on. The atmosphere was great, with a good squad and decent refereeing - we were freezing in the wind, but the refs must really have felt it all day.

I'm definitely getting booked on for the next go round at the beginning of March.

Great shooting with you Matt, had to negotiate a bit of mud here and there, and it's still odd to see the bridge of a container ship meandering past a couple of hundred yards away! Wendy thoroughly enjoyed it despite the chilling wind. As Matt said, it's surprising how little you have to move the hoop to change the aspect of the targets.

A very nice shoot with, for me at least, the right variety of targets. Ended on a 79, my best Fitasc score so far, missed one of the crossers on the last pair, probably thinking about breaking 80 a bit prematurely :spiteful:

Called in to Dartford on Saturday after shooting JJ's, just to say hello, but evidently just missed Matt, Bob and Wendy   :swoon:

Still pretty muddy there but a lot of the standing water has receded compared to the past few weeks. Sadly it does make the place look pretty scruffy, but its just cosmetics really and it is good that so many people are seeing past that and still strongly supporting the club.

We shot the FITASC the following day and my goodness it was very cold and windy. This was just our second outing at FITASC and in all honesty both Mrs GG and I think it is just the best discipline ever !!! And the ground has now been approved for FITASC Sporting, so these shoots are now registered events.

Doesn't mean I'm any good at it of course, and we are both still on a HUGE learning curve, but we had a friendly squad and the targets were extremely challenging. Mr Dyson does set a good course and most people were confirming that they thought it was a bit harder than the previous month. Despite that Pam equalled her first time score of 49, which was excellent in the conditions, and I was a bit back from my first time score of 68, down to 63, made up of (for me anyway) a good one, a decent one, and two rubbish ones. In order : -

21  -  Tower

12  -  Platform

13  -  Marsh

17  -  Trench

The poor score on the Platform layout really disappointed me because I shot that pretty well last time? Never mind eh . . . . more concentration needed for the next one, and I really felt that I let myself down a bit on Marsh. Like I say, this and Sporting in general is still pretty new to us but, nevertheless, there were a number of targets missed on that layout which I would have expected to break.

John Dyson actually hit the best score of 93, but would not take the high gun on his own shoot, so the winner was down to Scott from Greenfields in Canterbury with a truly excellent 91, and I can say it was excellent because I was on his squad and it was a joy to watch.

Already booked on again for Sunday 3rd March . . . . . . . can't wait, and hopefully see a few of you there? 

Sorry to have missed you guys, welcome to Fitasc. We're both very new to it too, but love it and intend to get as many in as possible this year.

We're impatiently waiting for a bit of better weather, then we can shed the five layers of clothing and look less like a Michelin man. We'll book on for the March shoot in a few days, hopefully we'll see you there!

Sorry to have missed you guys, welcome to Fitasc. We're both very new to it too, but love it and intend to get as many in as possible this year.

We're impatiently waiting for a bit of better weather, then we can shed the five layers of clothing and look less like a Michelin man. We'll book on for the March shoot in a few days, hopefully we'll see you there!
When is the next one Bob?

Hi guerini guy it was a pleasure to shoot with

You thanks for the comments makes a nice change to have a good day

Well shot Scott... hope to see you at the next one? Or Southdown.

Latest posts

Back