CPSA Shoot.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerT

I'm new to all this so sorry if a stupid question, but I saw the term Targets Only T-O next to the getegory for a CPSA shoot. What does this mean ?

it means you didn't pay the extra five quid or whatever to enter the competition but your score still counts for classification purposes

I always shoot b/o    I don't  agree with the high gun prize   money should  be used across all classes .    not that I would ever win high gun !   :cool:  

I always shoot b/o    I don't  agree with the high gun prize   money should  be used across all classes .    not that I would ever win high gun !   :cool:  
High gun money doesn't come from the £5-6 from comp entries it is sponsored by the ground out their own pocket. As you were...

How do we know though? Prize money was supposed to be more transparent and a breakdown shown at each registered comp per CPSA updated guidelines. But its not like they check these things.
In humble experience EJ Churchills, Longridge, & Westfield do publish prize fund breakdown, not troubled the pot much though, and as per EdS post the high gun prize is "put up" by ground not funded by the comp entry 

Not shot at the other two but where do EJC publish it as never seen it? And when I was still in B class and winning money I found it difficult to get out of them what amount I had won for first in class when chatting on messenger. They first told me £42.50 for joint 1st. When I pointed out other person was birds only my money only increased by £10.

Would be so much simpler if they just said these are the prizes as long as X number of comp entries.

I only go birds only these days anyway as throwing money away going comp in A class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come 2pm when last entry has closed, we post the total B/O & Comp entry with prize fund payout in each class at Barrow Heath..............Just saying !!!

The grounds are contracted to run registered shoots by the CPSA - in effect they run them on the CPSA's behalf. When they agree to do this they sign a document at the beginning of each year to agree to the rules set out in the handbook. Part of this insists that the cost of entry to the shoot must be displayed at the entry desk, clearly stating the prize element of the entry cost, resulting in the target only price. When entries close, as Phil says, the total prize fund is displayed with the breakdown for the classes, plus the High Gun prize, which does not come out of the prize fund. This is not a difficult task - the Shoot 08 programme will work all this out at the touch of a button.

Suspicions are obviously aroused when grounds fail to follow this process and shooters think they are being fiddled out of prize money. All I can say is that if the grounds you attend fail to follow the rules they have agreed to, vote with your feet. Go elsewhere. But contact the CPSA or their representatives and let them know your feelings.

Prize money does not belong to the ground, it belongs to the shooters who have paid into the prize fund.

Not shot at the other two but where do EJC publish it as never seen it? And when I was still in B class and winning money I found it difficult to get out of them what amount I had won for first in class when chatting on messenger. They first told me £42.50 for joint 1st. When I pointed out other person was birds only my money only increased by £10.

Would be so much simpler if they just said these are the prizes as long as X number of comp entries.

I only go birds only these days anyway as throwing money away going comp in A class.
I believe the way that joint first works is first and second place prise money combined and then split equal, so £42.50 x 2 = £85 combined prise fund, so if you got £52.50 for first, second place must have been £32.50

High gun money doesn't come from the £5-6 from comp entries it is sponsored by the ground out their own pocket. As you were...
I didn't realise that  ,  so  why do they do it ?    it cant attract  the masses  as its only the 10%  sharpshooters  that are in contention          ( goodwill ) ?  

The grounds are contracted to run registered shoots by the CPSA - in effect they run them on the CPSA's behalf. When they agree to do this they sign a document at the beginning of each year to agree to the rules set out in the handbook. Part of this insists that the cost of entry to the shoot must be displayed at the entry desk, clearly stating the prize element of the entry cost, resulting in the target only price. When entries close, as Phil says, the total prize fund is displayed with the breakdown for the classes, plus the High Gun prize, which does not come out of the prize fund. This is not a difficult task - the Shoot 08 programme will work all this out at the touch of a button.

Suspicions are obviously aroused when grounds fail to follow this process and shooters think they are being fiddled out of prize money. All I can say is that if the grounds you attend fail to follow the rules they have agreed to, vote with your feet. Go elsewhere. But contact the CPSA or their representatives and let them know your feelings.

Prize money does not belong to the ground, it belongs to the shooters who have paid into the prize fund.
They may be contracted to do it but many don't,some have a fixed prize structure so sometimes they may win and sometimes they may lose although this may be a grey area as they may advertise that.

Proper companies unlike the CPSA enforce the contractual obligations of there contractors,there are many rules that are not enforced some i have mentioned before.

So they are responsible but what do they do to enforce the rules,in my experience....nothing when it comes to grounds 

Do we know of any ground that has its CPSA status revoked or may have received a warning?

EJC I asked at desk when I next visited, it's a trek for me so infrequent visitor, for the shoot in question they produced a A4 document with full breakdown 

Yes. Check your facts before you make assumptions Mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realise that  ,  so  why do they do it ?    it cant attract  the masses  as its only the 10%  sharpshooters  that are in contention          ( goodwill ) ?  
It's marketing, pure and simple. People buy lottery tickets and huge jackpots are a big draw. I agree with you, logic says it's no wide appeal, but shoots with prizes do pull a crowd. I remember chatting to a bloke who was saying he wasn't coming back to a the shoot we were at because the prizes were crap. That day he finished 15th in B class!

Back