CPSA Rules

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgbrew

Had the misfortune to follow an A class shooter who on every stand until stand 10 insisted on seeing the clays from the front of the stand even though on most occasions he had watched at least 3 others shoot the stand and then insisted on seeing the targets from inside the cage. When challenged he got most indigent and had a good old winge. Those of us who shoot CPSA competition should be aware of the rules. If this kind of behaviour is tolerated then what is the point of having a governing body. If the grounds tolerate this kind of behaviour the costs will only go up for the majority who abide by the rules given the extra number of show birds.

Regardless of costs or rules this is just unacceptable, does he have many friends ?

This is not the CPSA's fault.  The location you were shooting should ensure that their ref's firstly know and understand the rules and secondly have the gravitas and support of the ground management to enforce them.  You should be discussing this with the ground management.

Also as it happened on more than one stand, clearly not an isolated referee who did not know the rules it is definitely for the ground to address.

There are no rules . make em up as you go along . most shooters and grounds do.

first rule in the book ,,

Version CPSA/B7/2013/01 – 19th April 2013 Page 17 of 32

7. TECHNICAL RULES FOR ENGLISH SPORTING

VIEWING POINT

7.00 Any competitor who has not had an opportunity to see targets on any stand, i.e. at the commencement of the competition each day, shall have the right to see one target from each trap for that stand from a position outside the stand. For simultaneous pairs, a maximum of 2 pairs can be viewed. All competitors should avail themselves of the opportunity to view targets whilst waiting their turn to shoot.

I feel the above should be displayed in a prominent position at the meet point of any registered shoot.

far too much liberty is taken by some folk. and in fact sportsmanship seems to be going out the window sometimes, only odd times this happens,, but can leave a sour taste,, I know.

One chap ( who had been watching the squad in front shoot) asked at the english sporting one year to see a pair, the ref said "certainly sir", when your in the cage shooting at them. This caused bad tempers,

but from what I've seen from some grounds is the local youngster who wants to earn a few quid on a Sunday morning, nothing wrong with that at all, I believe they don't challenge because they do not ( or need not) know the rules.

Some shooters are also to blame as they do try to intimidate a bit, I saw one last week flexing his testicals at a youngster who was reffing, he stood in the cage and demanded to see a pair ( he had also been watching)he missed then missed the first clay out, claiming the clay had hit the tree, it did, but it hit the tree 3 seconds after he pulled the trigger, that's a loss in my book, but I'm sure most people behave as there conscience tells them

I witnessed someone recently come charging up to a stand to get in front of about 4/5 other shooters (me included) and push his card under the young lady ref's nose.  He hadn't seen a pair in fairness and asked to see one - no issues there.

The second bird of the on-report pair was different every time due to trap / wind conditions and it sometimes meant the bird was thrown up and behind a tree (still shoot-able through tree, it was only 20 yards if that) the first time he saw it, shot and missed then turned to the young lady and suggested that "surely that was a no bird" lady said no they are all different, its been the same for everyone.  He protested, and muttered under his breath loud enough for ref to hear his thoughts and displeasure.

Second pair, kill - loss, firstly his disbelief that he wasn't hitting it (not a hard bird really) and then that the fact ref wasn't giving it as no bird. He carried on throwing his toys out of the pram. I was loving it at this point as we clearly had a 'Tit' in out midst, i struggled to contain my joy on occasions letting a wry smile slip.

Fourth pair, and the second bird went up probably as originally intended, and was without doubt 'a sitter' you guessed it, he missed the fecking thing. He was by now spitting chips, swearing and cursing himself. (I couldn't believe I didn't have to pay for the additional entertainment)

I don't normally take joy in seeing shooters miss (i miss enough myself on occasions) but when they try and intimidate a ref, and protest at every pair that they miss and don't like i think they get what they deserve.

Good on this lady ref, she dug in and stuck to her guns, as it were... 

(sorry for the slight thread drift, sort of related, nearly)

Had the misfortune to follow an A class shooter who on every stand until stand 10 insisted on seeing the clays from the front of the stand even though on most occasions he had watched at least 3 others shoot the stand and then insisted on seeing the targets from inside the cage. When challenged he got most indigent and had a good old winge. Those of us who shoot CPSA competition should be aware of the rules. If this kind of behaviour is tolerated then what is the point of having a governing body. If the grounds tolerate this kind of behaviour the costs will only go up for the majority who abide by the rules given the extra number of show birds.

Name & shame the culprit !!!

In the same vein and from the CPSA site

Eye Protection

Shooting glasses, as from January 1st 2004, are mandatory whilst shooting or in the company of shooters at all registered shoots. Glasses will not only protect your eyes from stray pieces of broken clay but also from falling lead and any gun malfunctions. Glasses can be additionally beneficial in difficult light conditions, with appropriately tinted lenses.

CPSA Eye Protection Policy: The wearing of adequate and effective visible eye protection by shooters, trappers, officials and spectators at or around any shooting position at all Registered events is mandatory from 1st January 2004. It is recommended that this protection be to a minimum standard of BSEN 166 F details of which are available by clicking here.

At Greenfields last Sunday I would guess that at least 40-50% of shooters had no eye protection. The same goes for a couple of other registered shoots I have been at recently.

My advice would be think about what you are doing not everyone else atb

Eye Protection

Shooting glasses, as from January 1st 2004, are mandatory whilst shooting or in the company of shooters at all registered shoots. Glasses will not only protect your eyes from stray pieces of broken clay but also from falling lead and any gun malfunctions. Glasses can be additionally beneficial in difficult light conditions, with appropriately tinted lenses.

CPSA Eye Protection Policy: The wearing of adequate and effective visible eye protection by shooters, trappers, officials and spectators at or around any shooting position at all Registered events is mandatory from 1st January 2004. It is recommended that this protection be to a minimum standard of BSEN 166 F details of which are available by clicking here.

At Greenfields last Sunday I would guess that at least 40-50% of shooters had no eye protection. The same goes for a couple of other registered shoots I have been at recently.
They would almost certainly have been the non reg birds only/practice entries - which kind of exposes the absurdity of the glass thing really. 

:fie:  Surely 99% of us shooters are ADULTS which means we should be capable of making decisions for ourselves?

If the CPSA decide we must all wear glasses then they have to set a standard for those glasses (BSEN 166F) they also have a duty to make certain that everyones glasses  are to that standard or above!  unenforcable! :fie:  

Eye Protection

I'll actually hold my hands up to not wearing mine on Sunday for 2 reasons (or possibly 3)

1. I have a fractured eye socket and they put pressure right next to it causing me a bit of pain 

2. I never wear safety glasses in the rain at work risk vs likelihood bla bla bla 

I would imagine that, should you raise a claim for injury to your eyes whilst shooting a CPSA Registered comp, where you HAD NOT been wearing appropriate eye protection; your claim would fall on deaf ears... (possibly as they hadn't used appropriate hearing protection)

Hence, they have informed you in the rules of said requirement, which would relinquish them from most insurance claims, where an eye injury had occurred...of which I should think there had previously been many. 

So you do have the choice, as a "Grown Up" not to wear them, but this will very likely go against you, in the event of a claim.

The "Rule", is not there for your protection, it is for theirs :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always had a big enough pair of balls to accept that anything I do in life (if its my decision ) is at my risk! I do not run screaming for compensation if things go wrong through my own mistakes. :fie:   

while I agree with you, Guru, plenty whingers out there willing to blame anyone else for their stupidity. I am also not keen on taking bleeding screaming people to hospital due to severe injury including a clay chunk ! some one will have to help them,, so I also suggest all shooters comply with eye/hearing and hat protection, so it doesn't  phook my day up too!

Latest posts

Back