CPSA Level 1 Instructor Course

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally get coaching from a shooter who has no so called qualification other than achievements.

I'm in agreement that you don't need a piece of paper but for a new shooting ground trying to attract new shooters it helps to give them the confidence they aren't getting ripped off if the coach has something.

I'm not looking to coach at a level other than new shooters and I'm not in it to try and make any money out of it.

The CPSA IDW course has put me off going down the CPSA route. It maybe that the course isn't as described by their marketing but that's what I see and read and it sound an extra charge to me.

It might not sound like a lot if money to some but it is for me.

I've looked at BASC but you need to be a member. I'm already with the NGO and the CPSA so don't need yet another membership payment.

Lantra it is and then I'll look to the Guild of Shooting Instructors.

peter

an assessment day sounds just the job, a day to ascertain if someone has the natural ability to convey gun safety and to instruct shooting in one or more methods depending on what suits the individual. Based on there experience rather than a course which people are instructed on how to teach one specific method which one assumes is the basis of the cpsa course. I remain adamant that there is no one size fits all shooting method and a good instructor will work with the shooter in front of them and adapt methods to suit. Of course it goes without saying that gun safety and muzzle awareness is written in stone.

for the record my post was merry pointing out that many people (in this case David) already have the necessary skills to instruct and probably already do, so only need someone like yourself or the guild to deem them competent in what they already do rather than a 1k course to teach them how to do it.

personally I would do whatever you have to offer (as I believe you tailor courses to suit) rather than fill the cpsa pocket hence my recommendation.

I never cease to be amazed at the people who come on the various forums !

David J  slates the CPSA for profiteering but then considers doing the Lantra Course and then looking at The Guild.

David , did you not read my earlier post ???????

The Lantra course was written by Guild member Mike Smith and is presented by Ann Lichfield , both members and trained by The Guild of Shooting Instructors .

I never cease to be amazed at the people who come on the various forums !
Not sure exactly what you mean by this, Can you expand on this.

David J  slates the CPSA for profiteering but then considers doing the Lantra Course and then looking at The Guild.

David , did you not read my earlier post ???????

The Lantra course was written by Guild member Mike Smith and is presented by Ann Lichfield , both members and trained by The Guild of Shooting Instructors .
I've looked at the Guild website via my phone and I can't find any info relating to up and coming assesments or courses. It seened to me that it's an orginisation you look to join after gaining an amount of experience.

I can do the Lantra course relatively close to home which also makes it an atractive offering.

I'm not slating the CPSA, just the IDW course, at £175 for an assessment (their words) its excessive. £30 I could accept but really IMO if they are assesing me for suitability for entrance to their certifacation course it shouldn't cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
peter

an assessment day sounds just the job, a day to ascertain if someone has the natural ability to convey gun safety and to instruct shooting in one or more methods depending on what suits the individual. Based on there experience rather than a course which people are instructed on how to teach one specific method which one assumes is the basis of the cpsa course. I remain adamant that there is no one size fits all shooting method and a good instructor will work with the shooter in front of them and adapt methods to suit. Of course it goes without saying that gun safety and muzzle awareness is written in stone.

for the record my post was merry pointing out that many people (in this case David) already have the necessary skills to instruct and probably already do, so only need someone like yourself or the guild to deem them competent in what they already do rather than a 1k course to teach them how to do it.

personally I would do whatever you have to offer (as I believe you tailor courses to suit) rather than fill the cpsa pocket hence my recommendation.
Ips just to clarify with CPSA you need to be able to recognise and teach all methods not just one.

I have an interest in doing a basic shotgun coaching certificate so I can instruct new shooter at a friends shoot.

Do we have any CPSA registered coaches on the forum or any CPSA representatives that can justify the costs and irrelevant prerequisites.

To do a Level 1 course at £695 you have to have the following prerequisites

1st Safety Officer Course at £99 - I can understand this to some extent but not sure why it cant be covered in the Level 1 course.

2nd Instructor Development Workshop at £175 - Now you are taking the p...

This consists of a one day course where you will be given an overview of the full four day course and be assessed for suitability to progress onto the Level 1 course.

Once again why would I pay anyone to tell me the curriculum of the level 1 course and to asses my suitability? I could be cynical and suggest that everyone fails the suitability test first time and has to pay again.... I really can't get my head around this one.

The simple Lantra course seems to be the way to go. Sorry CPSA your just cashing in, in my opinion.
To "instruct a new shooter at a friends shoot" one tends to agree that undertaking the full CPSA Instructor course may well be a hammer to crack a nut approach

You ask for feedback from anyone that has undertaken such having appeared to already prejudged the "value for money" element, Sian has given you Tonys experience of the CPSA route and it read as as very positive, as does feedback from participants of the basic LANTRA course.

Your later posts suggest that its not one shooter you are looking to be able to instruct, you will be in effect working for this ground taking numerous "new shooters" under your wing. I'd thought that your friends insurers may well require some documentary evidence of competence, one would check this before you sign up / invest some hard cash.

I'm re-reading the latest CPSA magazine again and in the Level 1 info states.

"Check eye dominance and gun fit, show you how to teach the CPSA Method and how to recognise shooting errors and correct them"

It goes on to state "For level 1 ITC, the criterion for qualification is that the candidate can get a novice to hit a moving target safely using the CPSA Method"

It makes no mention of other methods in the magazine or on the website.

Cpsa course info states . Teach  the Cpsa method.

No mention of any others.

Jasper.

what if, whatever the cpsa method is does not suit the pupil , what if they cant make it work for them. Do the cpsa advocate one method fits all because I for one believe you have to work with what you have therefore a good instructor needs to be able to adapt and this comes from experience and would be virtually impossible to teach in a class environment. Of course I am biased as many know my feelings on formal education / coaching. ?

To "instruct a new shooter at a friends shoot" one tends to agree that undertaking the full CPSA Instructor course may well be a hammer to crack a nut approach

You ask for feedback from anyone that has undertaken such having appeared to already prejudged the "value for money" element, Sian has given you Tonys experience of the CPSA route and it read as as very positive, as does feedback from participants of the basic LANTRA course.

Your later posts suggest that its not one shooter you are looking to be able to instruct, you will be in effect working for this ground taking numerous "new shooters" under your wing. I'd thought that your friends insurers may well require some documentary evidence of competence, one would check this before you sign up / invest some hard cash.
Rich, I would like to do the CPSA course. I have pre judged one aspect of the route to certification. If you read the online info everthing in the IDW is repeated in the Level 1 course. I just don't get what £175 for this step is getting me.

I've previously had poor feedback from a couple who attended a CPSA saftey course so before investing a large sum of money I'd like to be sure.

I don't expect many shooters but I was asked by my friend if I'd look at doing this as I was getting approach for advise at his ground over last summer. 

I enjoy it and to be honest as long as I don't loose money at it I'd be happy.

I'll be contacting Lantra. This looks the best route for me based on the information available and the level of instruction I'll be doing.

I'm re-reading the latest CPSA magazine again and in the Level 1 info states.

"Check eye dominance and gun fit, show you how to teach the CPSA Method and how to recognise shooting errors and correct them"

It goes on to state "For level 1 ITC, the criterion for qualification is that the candidate can get a novice to hit a moving target safely using the CPSA Method"

It makes no mention of other methods in the magazine or on the website.
CPSA recommend for novices (not have a go people) to use their method which is basically pull away because it produces the most consistent results for these novices, it is a more forgiving method.  BUT you need to know and be able to use all the methods because you may have novices who have already been shooting a while perhaps with another instructor and been using another method.  At some point you will be showing them all different ways as they progress.

what if, whatever the cpsa method is does not suit the pupil , what if they cant make it work for them. Do the cpsa advocate one method fits all because I for one believe you have to work with what you have therefore a good instructor needs to be able to adapt and this comes from experience and would be virtually impossible to teach in a class environment. Of course I am biased as many know my feelings on formal education / coaching. ?
Ian, the CPSA handbook describes three methods to break a clay. The course information upto a Level 1 instructor only mentions the CPSA Method. 

I haven't looked any further than this

Ian, the CPSA handbook describes three methods to break a clay. The course information upto a Level 1 instructor only mentions the CPSA Method. 

Pull away which CPSA recommend for the novice, swing through, maintained lead, spot shooting, intercepting - the last two come much later.

I, like a few others on here, did my Instructors Course too many years ago to remember. I chose the CPSA because at the time, I was running a shooting ground which happened to be CPSA affiliated. I went the 'long' way round as the CPSA stipulated. The Safety Officers certificate and the 1 day Intro Course. It was only when I was actually on the 4 day residential course, that I realised, that others on the course had NOT done either of of the other 2 courses. It was obvious that, at that time the CPSA were willing to take all comers, rather than not fill places on the course. I am a life member of BASC and have often volunteered my Instructor services, at the many summer fairs that BASC attend. Of course they always decline my offers, because I am NOT BASC qualified. I can, complete the BASC Instructors course, at much further cost  to myself. This would then enable me to give up my time to attend the aforementioned Fairs, as a 'Qualified Volunteer'  ???  Smacks a bit of the 'Qualified Referee's' scheme. I pay to become qualified so that I can spend my weekend 'Effin Reffin'  !  Not surprising that there is a shortage of qualified Refs  ?

They believe pull away is the easiest to start with but eventually all methods would be taught.

David , it all sounds a tad hap hazard to me. I would stuff the cpsa and look elsewhere. I am totally with you on the £175 just to tell you if your up for it, doesn't make sense to me. If your paying for someone to instruct you to instruct one assumes that's what your paying them to do ?

Who is "his lot" ips?

I'll be doing the Lantra course. I don't need to spend the best part of £1000 to teach someone how to hit a moving target using the CPSA method.

I just want a basic certificate. I dont shoot the CPSA method exactly. I use a modification on it with more success.
Tony adapts teaching methods to his novices and those that can actually shoot.  There’s no one telling you you have to use any particular method at the end of the day.   Personally I’d like to see more people teaching etiquette and safety and how to stand correctly as that seems lacking everywhere I go.  Good luck with whatever you choose.  

Back