CPSA Level 1 Instructor Course

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a bit of a jungle to figure out  those instructors courses. The pre instructor course sounds a bit strange to me (not judging, it might be beneficial just can't see it). 

I have been instructing for more than 25 years now (both work related but also on voluntary basis),obviously not shot gun  :lol: . 

What I have learned (and were taught in my instructors course, and also chief instructor courses), I can have all the theory in place, be the most knowledgeable person on the subject in the world. It doesn't matter nothing if I can not convey that to the student. In order to do that I need to have some teaching skills, and especially the ability to read people. Some needs to be handled like a rotten egg, some spoken softly to. Other need the academic approach, others need to be explained by using analogies. Others again need a good boot up their a**e. 

That makes me wonder, does any of those courses you are talking about teach any of those skills, because that is what will make you a good instructor and I'd choose that course. 

And I agree wholeheartedly that you will be able to instruct after a course,  but it takes a good amount of time to be a good instructor. 

Lars

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a bit of a jungle to figure out  those instructors courses. The pre instructor course sounds a bit strange to me (not judging, it might be beneficial just can't see it). 

I have been instructing for more than 25 years now (both work related but also on voluntary basis),obviously not shot gun  :lol: . 

What I have learned (and were taught in my instructors course, and also chief instructor courses), I can have all the theory in place, be the most knowledgeable person on the subject in the world. It doesn't matter nothing if I can not convey that to the student. In order to do that I need to have some teaching skills, and especially the ability to read people. Some needs to be handled like a rotten egg, some spoken softly to. Other need the academic approach, others need to be explained by using analogies. Others again need a good boot up their a**e. 

That makes me wonder, does any of those courses you are talking about teach any of those skills, because that is what will make you a good instructor and I'd choose that course. 

And I agree wholeheartedly that you will be able to instruct after a course,  but it takes a good amount of time to be a good instructor. 

Lars
I do believe that the CPSA 'Introductory'  one day course was supposed to determine :-

a)   That you really WANTED to be an Instructor.

b )  That THEY felt you were capable of successfully completing the course.

It was probably originally designed with the best of intentions, but like most things gradually became just another means of generating revenue. As I have said, there were some on the same CPSA 4 day course as myself,  who had never been on ANY of the pre-requisite 1 day courses.  Better to take anyone at all, (who was prepared to pay)  than have empty seats  ! 

I do believe that the CPSA 'Introductory'  one day course was supposed to determine :-

a)   That you really WANTED to be an Instructor.

b )  That THEY felt you were capable of successfully completing the course.

It was probably originally designed with the best of intentions, but like most things gradually became just another means of generating revenue. As I have said, there were some on the same CPSA 4 day course as myself,  who had never been on ANY of the pre-requisite 1 day courses.  Better to take anyone at all, (who was prepared to pay)  than have empty seats  ! 
The simplest way to make the introductory day fair would be to subtract it from the cost of the 4 day course if you took it.

I could accept failing the four day course and not getting a refund, that as you say is how most courses work, but I couldn't accept failing the IDW and having to pay again.

What other educational assesments can you think of that you've had to pay for before acceptance on the main course.

I could accept failing the four day course and not getting a refund, that as you say is how most courses work, but I couldn't accept failing the IDW and having to pay again.

What other educational assesments can you think of that you've had to pay for before acceptance on the main course.
Having read the IDW notes on the CPSA web page Im not seeing a pass/ fail more an assessment / guidance scenario, Id suggest you contact (when open in New Year) the relevant CPSA person and ask them direct, get it from the "horses mouth" so to speak.

Having read the IDW notes on the CPSA web page Im not seeing a pass/ fail more an assessment / guidance scenario, Id suggest you contact (when open in New Year) the relevant CPSA person and ask them direct, get it from the "horses mouth" so to speak.
Exactly you don’t pass or fail the IDW it is the day that you sort out what you need to work on going forward or the point at which you may think this isn’t for me or in some people’s cases I don’t have enough knowledge yet to teach properly.

No but I can’t think of anything you do where if you don’t pass you get a refund.  Can you?
The point being Sian, is,  the CPSA will take shortcuts to put ' Bums on Seats ', for their courses. I seem to recall that I had to go away for at least 6 months, after the 4 day residential, then return for a 1 day final assessment, although the cost of this assessment was in with the original price, the hotel costs were NOT included. I was then informed by post that I had passed. The guy that I went with was in a state of panic thinking he had failed,  having had a 'nightmare' student on the final assessment day, but he did pass.  

The point being Sian, is,  the CPSA will take shortcuts to put ' Bums on Seats ', for their courses. I seem to recall that I had to go away for at least 6 months, after the 4 day residential, then return for a 1 day final assessment, although the cost of this assessment was in with the original price, the hotel costs were NOT included. I was then informed by post that I had passed. The guy that I went with was in a state of panic thinking he had failed,  having had a 'nightmare' student on the final assessment day, but he did pass.  
Tony didnt  have to do that but they were told if they failed part of the four day course you could go back and re do that part - but it’s a while between your two experiences.

Back