CPSA Averages and Scores

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand why there is the 10% below Raw thing (what is the Raw anyway?) where scores are greyed out and don't count towards averages. May be to prevent bagging downwards. But all these AAA AA shots who shoot low scores at hard shoots would be dropped down a class. Surely all scores should count across all grounds easy shoots or hard.

I personally could not care less about averages or who is in what class or peeping on the CPSA I just want to enjoy it and better my self. I think if your stuck at 90 ish then without a lot of help, luck, more shooting, or exceptional form then that's it - the top boys are all within one or two of each other all the time. I shot a total crap score at WW but beat M Myers on one stand and that's 1 out of 12, he beat me on the other 11. Still came away happy.

The money is crap not worth getting wound up about.

I don't disagree really. But the difference between 91 and 95 is actually huge. Think about it this way, I missed almost twice as many as the winner. "Just hitting a few more" is a very realistic thing when you are in the 70's. It gets a LOT tougher to do it in the 90's. The guy that won at Weston is hugely better than me.

i think it's great if lower classes have a carrot to go for. The present system kinda works, but also it rewards a lower standard which is a bit odd really. I did motor racing for many years and never saw a podium with more than three spaces on it. My original point was that people expect the class thing because it's here now. As Hamid says, shoots would likely be just as full with no prize money lower down. Look at me! I have almost no expectation of reward, other than personal advancement.. Still trying as hard as ever. 
Yes Will, But how many races that you participated in had 200 entries? 20 or 30 on a grid in one racing class is good going and returns the outside chance that if #1, 2 and 3 overcook it and spin out on the last lap you might just squeak onto the hallowed podium.

250 entries at Southdown on a Sunday all in one class ........... I'd rather go and shoot at Willow Farm, much more relaxed and less crowded.

Speaking personally I worked up through C class, picked up a few quid and some plastic trophies, I'm in B now and the result is similar ( although not recently ). Far from wanting to languish in 'the classes' I'm still motivated by improving ( more's the pity! ) 

I don't get classes never have. I just shoot what comes out and hope to be as far up the first page as possible with the view that if it all goes well I could win. This has not happened often but on the occasions that I have high gunned obviously it is a far greater moment than a class win. Everyone Imo should aspire to gain experience and to shoot to win otherwise I don't see the point. Shooting to win class is like racing with brakes on, its holding you back mentally. If you think you can only win class that's all you will ever do.

classes are nonsense

Yes Will, But how many races that you participated in had 200 entries? 20 or 30 on a grid in one racing class is good going and returns the outside chance that if #1, 2 and 3 overcook it and spin out on the last lap you might just squeak onto the hallowed podium.

250 entries at Southdown on a Sunday all in one class ........... I'd rather go and shoot at Willow Farm, much more relaxed and less crowded.

Speaking personally I worked up through C class, picked up a few quid and some plastic trophies, I'm in B now and the result is similar ( although not recently ). Far from wanting to languish in 'the classes' I'm still motivated by improving ( more's the pity! ) 
Which is why I suggested that the top 10% of the entry get on the shooting "podium". Same percentage as motor sport. 

What Steve means is build a good average and then watch it get smashed when you shoot Westfield ., only joking - honest...

The only thing averages help you with is to track your progress and whether you are generally improving or not. 

" The guy that won at Weston is hugely better than me."

With that attitude , you will allow him to beat you regularly !

Far better to think from the very first clay, " concentrate, keep it going , break it " .

Then check the scores at the end.

If you believe you are shooting well, often you will be.

" The guy that won at Weston is hugely better than me."

With that attitude , you will allow him to beat you regularly !

Far better to think from the very first clay, " concentrate, keep it going , break it " .

Then check the scores at the end.

If you believe you are shooting well, often you will be.
TBH I think I was about as in the zone as I've ever been. Wobbled a bit on the last stand with a slow release, but gotta be realistic about Martin Myers. I think if you took the top of his head off you would find wires and lasers..

I started shooting comps 15 years ago at the likes of Chatcomb estate , Wyler valley , four counties , longridge , doveridge , kibworth , Cadley , etc was I c class shooting around the 55 mark for a couple of years and can honestly say no I never followed averages of my own but I did want to win or have a place in the class at that particular shoot on the day , I reached plateaus all through and it took a while to break over certain scores consistently the big and hard one for me was to get over the 84 mark and I never really did it until 2010 when something clicked into place and then went forward ,
Interesting reading steve me at 60+ did'nt do enough young enough probably hav'nt got the time left to get there. But do enjoy clay shooting and seeing the average rise allbeit very slow. I think I'm far from being alone in thinking the class system and averages must stay I would almost venture to suggest it would surely be the end of reg shoots if there was no class average system and like it or louth it I think it's the spur which keeps the bottom 3 classes going and to me it's not about money or prize's the incentive is personal improvement and I can't get this with run of the mill practice or pay and play sorry the very sentence drive's me nuts.  

Don't get caught up in all the crap about going to easier commercial style target grounds to munipulate a high percentage it's total bonkers !!!!
Well until the most recent Westfield (120) and Weston (100) my average was hovering nicely in the bottom of B. Now. Not so much  :lol:

The addition of those two scores have dropped me down from 69% to 66%  :lol:

Here's an idea for the scratch card in the app, give away a caddied round so you can show people (me) how to survive a visit to Westfield  B)

Had a guy down our way get into AAA five years Back on two shoots

he made sure he didn't shoot 300 targets in a year so as not to risk going down MUPPET 

hes never one JACK S@ITE

you shoot the scores classes percentages prize money will sort

itself out !!

by the way Steve don't shoot to well

tue or I will let your tyres down on that Range Rover ?

If prize money was scrapped would it effect entries?

Maybe ground owners could spend the pot on refs or facilities.

No point in sand bagging just to get a different coloured rosette.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think folk would prefer a trophy than a few quid, at normal comp anyway not necessarily majors

Well until the most recent Westfield (120) and Weston (100) my average was hovering nicely in the bottom of B. Now. Not so much  :lol:

The addition of those two scores have dropped me down from 69% to 66%  :lol:

Here's an idea for the scratch card in the app, give away a caddied round so you can show people (me) how to survive a visit to Westfield  B)
if two shoots "drop" your average by such a margin it would suggest that there not many scores in current period, put simply the more one shoots the less such an effect your perceived disaster would have on your average, oh and everyone has a dip, some longer and deeper than others

if two shoots "drop" your average by such a margin it would suggest that there not many scores in current period, put simply the more one shoots the less such an effect your perceived disaster would have on your average, oh and everyone has a dip, some longer and deeper than others
You're quite right. I've only got out to a few registered shoots this period but I'm changing my ways and making it more regular now ? 

Latest posts

Back