cost

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of good comments on here. I agree it is pricey - but keeping the costs down by having a membership - in my case - my membership was 80 for the first year (60 for a renewal), clays are 6p cheaper - and membership rates on the cartridges... buying 1000 carts saved me £40+ so 2 of those pay for my membership, and my clays are cheaper (bonus)... no doubt I will buy more than 2000 carts in a year (new shooter on my first year :wink: ) so any further saving are great!

And we will all be doing something with our time, so will be spending our hard earned dosh!

I was into motocross... but it turned out to be very expensive! £40 each entry fee(my wife and I) Fuel for both bikes for the day maybe £20+, diesel to get there, and in my case at 20mpg it is expensive everywhere I drive :wink:

so I sold a motorbike to (start)fund this hobby - bike sold for 1100. safe was 240, licence 90, gun 200, 80 membership, approx. 250 on carts the rest I have spent on clays. I think I still have £35 left for clays..

As another edit.... the safe cost and licence fee were not taken from the bike sale... so I guess I have spent considerably more on clays and carts... I have kept my itemised receipts so ill have a look back... :smoke:

id like to add, at present im not into comps, but do like going and busting some clays on my days off. And who knows may even get some lessons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed that many people feel some sorta pressure from whatever group brought them to shooting to engage in comps.  And there is always the macho thing that no matter what activity a male takes on if there is another male doing it too it becomes a comp.  :wink:   

There is life without comps.  And even if you shoot the occasional meet it can be done targets only.  But why do that, really.  I know a gentleman in Texas who is a quite accomplished shooter and was active in a number of games.  For reasons best know to him, skeet and sporting were always in there mostly I think because he likes to BS and those have that as an element as trap does not.  At any rate he finally came to the realization that the potential rewards from organized comps were meager and the fame/fortune aspect didn't really justify the $ expenditure.  So now he shoots for fun at a substantially rate compared to comps and just does a couple bigtime comps a year.  He does not seem to be suffering.  A couple unanticipated things removed me from comps pretty much entirely tho I had quit shooting some games prior.  I still shoot maybe 300-400 targets a week when the weather is nice and I feel like it and whatever game might interest me at the moment.  Works for me - may not work for you.  :thumbsup:

id like to add, at present im not into comps, but do like going and busting some clays on my days off. And who knows may even get some lessons.
That’s just fine . There are half a million or more shotgun certificates in the U.K.  about 5% of those holding one  are registered to shoot in CPSA competition.  Saturday and Sunday club shooting probably outnumbers registered competition  many times over . Shooting for “ fun” or practice  is undoubtedly  the biggest reason people shoot clays. It’s a very social activity , and one that you can actually just dip in and out of as and when you feel like going .  It doesn’t have to cost a fortune , as long as you don’t become an addict 😂

On average, golf is way cheaper than shooting. Loads of golf clubs are struggling these days and many do deals.
One near me does 18 holes for £14 after 2pm and it's a really good course. 

We have a bloomin mole who will do 18 holes for NOWT and all in one night too  !

But you can’t really practice as a b/o entry at a reg shoot can you. 

If I’m having a problem with a target I want to stay on that stand until I’ve sorted it out.

cant see that happening at a reg event, be all you competition types moaning like mad at me 
Bit like practicing parking on the main straight at Thruxton while there's a race on! :)

Latest posts

Back