cost

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to Barbury this am, yes non member rate of 40p, that said its been that for decade plus. 

It was though heaving, entry must have been near 150 and the vast majority were members and the many I spoke with go virtually every week, and for these that membership aint £9 a pop its less than £2, they are on average paying £32 + £2 = approx £34 / 100 with free hot n some cold drink offerings, now Ive shot a lot of grounds in this part of the country that operate during the week you shoot 100 clays & have 2/3 drinks and thats near £50 out of pocket. Barbury, when a member is by comparison “cheap”

Well done on avoiding C class, some dipped toes in with us blaggers blind so to speak and have also progressd rapidly to AA
I would like to see, know of the grounds/clubs that can operate 7 days a week for 30p or less per clay, and are membership free. That also supply quality facilities, ground staff to make it operate, etc. 

People on about practice, so where and when do you practice. Most of the registered grounds I shoot at are only open for the registered comps.

£32 for me Richie, with loads of free coffee. :good: :frantics:

Just to make you cry then 😂, Thimbleby Shooting Ground , on the A19 North Yorkshire £0.22 per clay Tuesdays and Thursdays , the only condition is that you buy a 100  bird round .  They operate a preloaded card system , you get 105  on the card  to cover no birds . 
Was better when it was £18.00  a 100 before it went to £20 then £22 

Marne clay shoot £12.00 for 60 non members.

Average is around 26p per clay for the area.

Catton Hall ,Frodsham , Cheshire is very good value for money £28 per hundred B/O on competition days , cheaper midweek , superb facilities .

Mickley Hall, Nantwich , Cheshire , good value , Doveridge , Oakedge , Kegworth ,Kingsley Moor , Old Glossop, all less than £30 per 100 .

So with 150 + entries often paying  £15 + extra , does it go into the prize fund or the retirement fund?🤣🤣🤣🤣

I generally shoot at Ashcombe.

No membership fee (although a club does meet there but membership isn't required), open 7 days a week with good bogs, a bar for food and drinks if you want, claymate system, pretty decent presentations that are changed up (slightly) every couple of months, massive high tower, skeet, sporting and compact sporting. 28p a clay.

They don't hold competitions though, not that that bothers me.

I generally shoot about 150 - 200 ish a month, so £40 - £60 in clays. I shoot cheap and cheerful cartridges at about 20p a go, so £30 to £40 in cartridges.

Plus fuel is probably an extra £15 - £25. Plus nibbles and a sarnie - call it a round £120 a month on average.

I never intend to compete, for me shooting is a chance to switch off and have fun so more than happy spending that amount. I haven't been shooting long (2 years) and in that time clays have gone up a couple of pence, cartridges are about the same so no complaints on price rises.

Yet.       

Maybe this has already been covered before - but what would be the potential steps/blockers towards hiring some land, few traps and buying in some clays? 

Cost aside, presumably the biggest concern would be as a landowner you'd probably not be happy with bits of clays/wads everywhere if it were land in active use.

Surely there'd be exceptions to the rule i.e. passive income for some unused land. 

No idea what the basic run rate would be for putting on something like this though? And also whether there's be any licencing considerations to crop up whether the land was privately owned or not? 

Dannymac whilst at work talking to others about hobbies we compared costs and a round of golf at a good club with a few lost balls and tees, a day at the football match with a pie and couple of drinks all worked out around the same as going for ground of 100 clays with mid range carts.

That is no longer the case with golf being cheaper, not sure about football as I don't like it.
Golf is way cheaper than shooting. Once you are set up with clubs, membership etc, the more you play, the cheaper it is for you. Shooting is the total opposite.

Damn site more boring though!
Its a ridiculous game, i tried it many years ago but i cant see the fun of spending 4hrs rummaging in long grass trying to find your ball. The hole is to small to get your ball into with any degree of success, some arse puts childrens sand pits in totally the wrong place. And dont even get me started on the fashion.

Its a ridiculous game, i tried it many years ago but i cant see the fun of spending 4hrs rummaging in long grass trying to find your ball. The hole is to small to get your ball into with any degree of success, some arse puts childrens sand pits in totally the wrong place. And dont even get me started on the fashion.
Just the picture of you rummaging around with your ball and complaining about not getting it in the hole 😂😂

Eerm, you didn't have great success hitting a 100mm disc around 40m away using two shots containing around 340 pellets each.  So it's no wonder you can't hit that little ball and get it in the hole.  Just saying 😃😃😃

Eerm, you didn't have great success hitting a 100mm disc around 40m away using two shots containing around 340 pellets each.  So it's no wonder you can't hit that little ball and get it in the hole.  Just saying 😃😃😃
How very dare you sir 😃

And dont even get me started on the fashion.
OMG ! ! !  I can't believe that you said that after the costume ball attire that you've had the  brazen shamelessness to display here   :mosking:

And I was also unaware that the object of the game was to hit the ball into the long grass so as to have something to search for.

silly me, eh?

OMG ! ! !  I can't believe that you said that after the costume ball attire that you've had the  brazen shamelessness to display here   :mosking:

And I was also unaware that the object of the game was to hit the ball into the long grass so as to have something to search for.

silly me, eh?
Costume ball attire, how very dare you sir 😁

I would search it out and redisplay it here for all to see, but for the interest of continuing to hold my perfectly lovely person status I will refrain.   :angel:

Golf is way cheaper than shooting. Once you are set up with clubs, membership etc, the more you play, the cheaper it is for you. Shooting is the total opposite.
Only if you play all the time at a local club your a member of. Lads I spoke with some have memberships but still travel about and pay and play lots as get sick of same course, so similar to our clay shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only if you play all the time at a local club your a member of. Lads I spoke with some have memberships but still travel about and pay and play lots as get sick of same course, so similar to our clay shooting.
On average, golf is way cheaper than shooting. Loads of golf clubs are struggling these days and many do deals. One near me does 18 holes for £14 after 2pm and it's a really good course. 

As a newbie I certainly have limited expectations of my own ability, but still get out occasionally to have a shoot.  Since getting my cheapo starter gun and attending a couple of local fields, I am really enjoying my time with others doing something I really enjoy.  I often find that work gets in the way of when I want to shoot, including weekends, but the two places I go are Three Counties in the Basingstoke area, and Bisley.  Three counties is very good value with the first 50 at £15 and the second round at £12 but it can be a little rushed as shooting is Sunday only and starts at 10am and must finish at 1pm.  Bisley is a little more expensive at £20 per 50 or 40p for any additionals.  Bisley does run a claymate system which allows for single shooter use.  I have no aspirations to be a top shot, but would like to be the best I can be so I plan to get out at least once a fortnight and keep enjoying it or until the cost becomes too much.

http://www.chalkyhill.co.uk/index.php?page_id=5000

Damn fine philosophy.

Three counties is a great shoot for beginners as most targets are within 30 metres. Its sister shoot, Chalky hill at Medstead, gives you a third option.
Chalky hill is where I went for my lessons and have shot there a couple of times since.  They do a fantastic cuppa and burger after the shoot :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back