Coat for Cocker Spaniel

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

We have a 9 month old cocker spaniel who is getting to grips with training and loves flying around the countryside (especially as today when Muntjac wanted to 'play').  She currently has two coats but neither are great, one is too small and the  other is a fashion coat that my son choose and it keeps coming off.

Suggestions and links welcome for coats that will keep her warm, possibly help keep rain off and will withstand her hunting through long grass and open hedges

Thanks

I or rather she has an equafleece in a rather spiffing dark green. She tells me it is eam and comfortable but not fully waterproof.

I don't think anything will stand up to working in cover other Tha the neoprene type that those mad men called waterfowlers put on there pooches.

Just ordered a Thermatex coat for my cocker on a recommendation from a friend of mine. Apparently Thermatex wicks the moisture away from the body and is the same material they use in horse coats. I would not use any kind of coat when they are working as it could easily get tangled up in the undergrowth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't hunt any dog with a coat or collar on. 

I wouldn't hunt any dog with a coat or collar on. 
It’s just for when she is walking and hunting through spindly stuff of her own accord (9mths old), she won’t be worked until next season and then as you suggest without coat or collar

Search for Outhwaite coats. I still wouldn't use one on a dog when it's out exercising, only before and after for me.

yes but that was in the olden days, things have moved on now Westley ?
That is as maybe BUT, how can you have a dog that is lying across the couch one minute and then taken out and expected to swim in ice cold water on a retrieve, the next  ? Is that not just a tad cruel  ?   My dogs (and I have had a few over the years) have always lived outdoors. They would come into the house to 'dry off' after working,  but they were then back into their kennel/run to be fed. As a result of this their coats were thicker and they shed less hair. Yes, I put them into home made bath towel 'sacks' in the dog box in the vehicle, if they were wet, and the kennels were lined with shredded newspaper in winter, but that was it really. I do not recall any of them suffering any arthritic problems either.

post was very tongue in cheek Westley ?

eze says "I like being on the sofa in front of the log burner, and I don't do icey water" ?

Latest posts

Back