Coaches

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers all. Will let her know. Always good to get someone else interested in shooting....even if it is the mother in law.

honestly not in the same league . carl is ex world champ......   thats why its hard to get a slot  ..and  i think the man you refer to is John Timmis . summat to do with edge hill and warks school team.
Sorry yes, typo on my part. He may not be a Bloxham, but he is on his way back from the World Police and Fire Games with High Gun, so congratulations to him.

John Timmis is great. He is certainly no Solomons / Bloxham and doesn't claim to be as he coaches at a different level, but is good with bringing novices up to a really good standard and has done incredible things with Warwickshire college!

It really comes down to what you are looking for. A few introductory lessons and getting someone up to very good club standard, John Timmis is a great bet and I would recommend. Also worth noting, he helps at Carl's ground as well as his own.

Getting a competition shooter to put in personal bests and jump up through the classes at great pace then Ed or Carl are your men with proven records, and certainly who I would go to as a more experienced shot.

Ed 'is' a great coach.....true story...!
Certainly is. I've had an awful lot of beginner-level coaching over the last year thanks to the Shotgun & Chelsea Bun Club. Every event I attend in a different place I get coaching from a new person. Terry at A1, Richard at Doveridge, James at Oxford Shooting School to mention some that I thought were quite good, and several more at several other places (I think ten in total). I got the chance to watch Ed coach a complete beginner. There were so many extra steps that not everyone remembers. Even things like taking the gun off the newbie straight after a shot so as to minimise tiredness don't come as standard with coaches. Not every coach manages progressive learning right from the beginning; some are so keen to get you shooting "right" that they forget that the point is to get you shooting at all and the newbie drowns under a pile of instruction about what to do with their feet, eyes, hands, head, never mind where to point the gun to break the clay. 

Anyone can tell you what to do, but not every coach can build confidence whilst making shooting an enjoyable experience for a total beginner. What Ed delivered was a class above everything else I've seen this year. An hour long session with a great coach is an investment in getting your beginner on a path forward, rather than putting them off. 

Can anyone recommened a good coach for a total beginner (mother in law) in the Warwickshire area? She doesn't want to travel too far (lives in Kenilworth) and has only had a taster session but wants to have a proper lesson before she decides if shooting is for her.
 Hi there,

I would say Nick Hollick from Honesberie Shooting based Warwickshire:)

Rob Eaton, He is HEAD COACH at more shooting grounds than GOD!
How can he be 'head coach' at more than one ground...???? A head coach is a permanent position.....just asking??

Last edited:
Well Rob Eaton can! if you read his resume' on Shooting UK he is "Head" coach at Wylye, Podimore, S. Counties and countless others?

I wonder if this is anything to do with the demise of Wylye, Podimore,and S. Counties?  answers on a postcard please and the winner gets a FREE lesson! :fie:   :fie:   :fie:   :fie:   :fie:   :fie:   :fie:   :fie:   :haha:   :haha:   :haha:   :haha:   :haha:   

Syreel, 

Not content with upsetting the Yanks, you are now setting about the Southerners, good luck with that unenviable task.

Is it also you that is responsible for the demise of the Greek economy and sanitation system.

I wish i had not asked now....I should have known that coming from Siiiirrreeeeyyyyllll it would have been a swerve ball.....!

Syreel, 

Not content with upsetting the Yanks, you are now setting about the Southerners, good luck with that unenviable task.

Is it also you that is responsible for the demise of the Greek economy and sanitation system.
And the....ahem.....Donkey situation....which i believe was discussed at the Embassy Christmas dinner :wink: .

Rob Eaton, He is HEAD COACH at more shooting grounds than GOD!
Can someone point me in the direction that backs this statement up because I'm blowed if I can find it.

I am the head coach at Wylye Valley, that is true.

If you read my signature properly I coach at all the other grounds and several others because I was asked to by the owners. I put it there because people ask me all the time where I coach so it saves me time answering. It says nothing about being the head coach of any of the other grounds. Each of these grounds have benefited greatly from it and can be proved if need be. Each of the unfortunate grounds that are closing has a totally different reason for closing and nothing to do with me at all. The owners can be contacted for confirmation of that.

And yes I am a coach or the resident coach on other shooting sites because I was asked to do so by the site owners after them reading my writings and meeting me in person. Some even having a lesson.

But really....the amount of ugly comments and personal insults on this particular forum really does it no favors and makes shooters look stupid and totally unsuitable to have any firearms if they act in such a way in the public eye.  Why people insist on insulting others they either don't know at all or have only met once or twice for five minutes is beyond me or anyone with an ounce of intelligence. Its a shame that all Matts hard work on this forum doesn't stop it slowly going the way the old site did because of it as many, many often say it is off the forum.

Its also very strange how people get very brave on here when not actually face to face with their victims. 

Being a full time coach and a complete professional I would never say such things about other shooters or coaches, particularly on the internet as it's just not right and totally unprofessional not to mention it's a form of internet bullying. And those of you that do.....shame on you, you're doing the sport on the whole no good whatsoever and making yourselves look very, very small in the real world where it really matters.

Your suppose to be responsible adults with firearms for gods sake....so act like it.

Salopian, We have excellant sewerage in Crete, you find a "swallet" hole or "slocker" hole and stick your 4" pvc pipe down there and flush to your hearts content!

As for the Greek economy they are wise in the Gypsies understanding of finance "Cash is King"

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone point me in the direction that backs this statement up because I'm blowed if I can find it.
I am the head coach at Wylye Valley, that is true.
If you read my signature properly I coach at all the other grounds and several others because I was asked to by the owners. I put it there because people ask me all the time where I coach so it saves me time answering. It says nothing about being the head coach of any of the other grounds. Each of these grounds have benefited greatly from it and can be proved if need be. Each of the unfortunate grounds that are closing has a totally different reason for closing and nothing to do with me at all. The owners can be contacted for confirmation of that.
And yes I am a coach or the resident coach on other shooting sites because I was asked to do so by the site owners after them reading my writings and meeting me in person. Some even having a lesson.
But really....the amount of ugly comments and personal insults on this particular forum really does it no favors and makes shooters look stupid and totally unsuitable to have any firearms if they act in such a way in the public eye.  Why people insist on insulting others they either don't know at all or have only met once or twice for five minutes is beyond me or anyone with an ounce of intelligence. Its a shame that all Matts hard work on this forum doesn't stop it slowly going the way the old site did because of it as many, many often say it is off the forum.
Its also very strange how people get very brave on here when not actually face to face with their victims. 
Being a full time coach and a complete professional I would never say such things about other shooters or coaches, particularly on the internet as it's just not right and totally unprofessional not to mention it's a form of internet bullying. And those of you that do.....shame on you, you're doing the sport on the whole no good whatsoever and making yourselves look very, very small in the real world where it really matters.
Your suppose to be responsible adults with firearms for gods sake....so act like it.

Rob met you a few times at wylye and want to say take no notice of stupid comments that are made on here by a few people that obliviously know nothing about our sport my friend, you are a well respected coach that keeps his self to his self and has no need to worry about a sad few...

I know there is many on here who know how good you are as coach and a person...

I run 25/30 days corporate shoots a year on are place in Wiltshire drop me a PM with ya interested in helping out coaching/ instructing novice shots .....

Mark.

I don't know you rob but for what its worth you made a good point and it was well put, to be coaching by invite says it all! Your obviously getting it right mate.

Rob

I have benefitted greatly from your lessons and will be back for more.  Take no notice of idiotic comments from people on here who seem to have trouble understanding the Queen's English!

Keep up the good work!

Mrs H and I had a great afternoon with Ed Solomons at Sporting Targets yesterday.

I would never have thought you could learn so much in such a short amount of time.

The way everything was so clearly explained, was fantastic and done in such a way, that before long you kind of knew what you did wrong and what you had to do to correct it.

Lot's of practice required now, but can't wait to put the new knowledge to the test at the weekend.

Thanks Ed. Can't recommend you highly enough.

Also thanks to Ed Lyons for the new eyes. They're working great.

Mrs H and I had a great afternoon with Ed Solomons at Sporting Targets yesterday.

I would never have thought you could learn so much in such a short amount of time.

The way everything was so clearly explained, was fantastic and done in such a way, that before long you kind of knew what you did wrong and what you had to do to correct it.

Lot's of practice required now, but can't wait to put the new knowledge to the test at the weekend.

You're now double-Edded! 

That pun never fails to amuse me.

couldn't agree more. Spent 2 hours with Ed (Solomons) today and had a brilliant time. He is excellent and explains things in a way that is easy to understand and is a good laugh too, which puts you at ease. Will defo be back to see him and thoroughly recommend him as a coach.

Back