Clive Hames to attend Tuesday's Board Meeting.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have thought those who were keen would have already put their head above the parapet?
You would have thought so, but my guess is the Board may have someone standing in the wings.
Looking at it another way, they may not rendering all this a waste of time and money.
Of course you could also argue that this is all a smokescreen just to keep the East Midlands at arms length while this charade, sorry I meant consultation is going on before it becomes a done deal.

Good response from the Region Colin.

It gives me great sadness that the Board is acting in this way. It is not in the spirit of the Association or the sport.

precedents were set when I was ask/t by the westmidlands has the other director had one year to go and i took over so guy/s precedent/s has been set ok

Joe, it was also set when JJ was appointed to be the SER Director after me.....regions choice.....True story..!

I think the issue is whether there is a legally binding precedent / custom and practice that must be followed.  Co-option is a discretion of the Board itself, and so quite a high bar would have to be passed to incorporate the position of following the recommendation of the region into the articles by custom and practice.  That's my view of the position on custom and practice.

So then you go to reasonableness and whether the Directors acted in a way that no reasonable group of directors would have acted. This is again, a pretty tough test. Given that they are suggesting that an election will be held for the new director, I am not sure... there is no express provision within the current articles for this (which refers to co-opting where there is a resignation death etc of a director but doesn't even set out details on this) although, on a second read, I think that they probably could do it under the current articles under 8[c]. But, I gather, they are waiting until after the EGM for the proposed articles to apply and for the provision for an election to be express.  And during this period, they are allowing Clive to attend the meetings as a non director until an election is held... is that something no reasonable group of directors would do?

So, I suppose, it turns on whether it is so unreasonable that the EM should be without a director until after an election which hasn't been called yet and is proposed to be after the EGM, during which time 6 or more months during which time the East Midlands will not have a voting representative on the Board.

Answers on a postcard

(edited as I had a few more thoughts!)

Last edited by a moderator:
So, the board can do whatever they like and it is almost impossible to prove otherwise? Or is that being harsh?

I find the amazing thing about this whole issue....is that those making these decisions ....to not co-opt the EM regions preferred choice......have not actually been voted on by any of the members of the CPSA at any point in the last 3 years....they have all walked onto the board or re-walked onto the board.....unopposed......no ballot papers in Pull magazine.....no picture or pen portrait.......the decisions are being made by people who have not actually been elected by anyone..... :laugh:

Thanks apathy......you got what you wanted.

Shooters do not care who is looking after their association...... 

And 'that' folks....... is why i laugh reading page 5 of Pull magazine.....

Oh the joys of spin.................!!

Some people might actually believe it.....!

I see that the CPSA have finally advertised the vacancy for the post of East Midlands Director, it can be viewed on the main CPSA website.

Clive Hames is the RIGHT MAN for the Job. The Board never wanted him because he says what is right for all members.

Lets see who 'supposedly' wants to stand against Clive.....then all the costs of going to ballot.....and then EMR members vote for Clive anyway.

Really you could not make this up could you.

Clive probably knows more about the Articles than any of the others on the Board.

You have to presume that the Board of Directors have their own horse in this race, why else would we be going through this farcical situation.

This has all the makings of a " you couldn't make it up" type scenario.

If they don't have their own candidate it will be come an even bigger farce.

If they do and Clive still wins, it will be even more a joke.

It doesn't matter which way you look at it they are on a hiding to nothing, is there any wonder that so many people don't have any faith or trust in this Board.

The only way they could have come out of this with any Brownie points was to accept the official candidate presented by the EMRC, who I might add was unanimously elected by the eight counties of the region.

Let's face it though the Board never seem to make the right call at the right time.

Even if they have their own horse, they probably won't get him in!

All in all sounds like they are trying to run with new articles before they've been out voted on. (As election THEN cooption - as stated on cpsa site- seems a bit odd when I think they can elect anyway under current articles?!)

That said, what harm is there? I cant think that anyone in EM should be concerned about a full election, rather than just relying on regional board. My only real issue with this is that Colin resigned a couple of months ago - I don't understand why it took until EM suggested a candidate that the Board didn't like before they got around to dealing with fact that EM needed a director!

Yes Sara....as usual..... confusion reigns on the Board as to any understanding of Articles.

If they are going to all the expense of a Region ballot....then the winner of the ballot 'is' the director....he or she will have been 'elected' by the members. Co-option is not necessary then......the director will be notified to CH in the normal way.

I do admit to giggling when i saw the following.........because (barring one person).... I cannot think of any of the current lot...who would fit it....in the 'real' world :laugh:

"Whilst there are no specific criteria for who may put themselves forward, apart having been a member for three years continuously and be 18 years of age or older, we are keen to encourage nominations from people with Board level experience and a good understanding of business, as well as a passion for helping the Association to develop and a good understanding of our sport. The Board operates at a strategic level so vision and foresight would be valuable qualities and specific business skills or contacts would be most welcome!"

Well who would have thought that our board operates at 'a strategic level'........... :laugh: .......more like 'critical level'......looming and swaying from one crisis to another......disenfranchising its volunteer members ......alienating its regional committees with the new information that a regional director does 'NOT' have to vote the views of the region who put them there.......etc etc

Jilly Cooper could make a great book out of our sport.

Strategy n. The art and science of military command, exercised to meet the enemy in combat . 

That says it all really.

Jilly's dust sheet Taster,

The Board were completely overwhelmed as the screaming hordes came down from the mountains, their bloodthirsty cries being heard far and wide, baying for the blood of the Mushroom Farmer who had caused this travesty of justice. It made the blood curdle as the membership laid waste to the disorganised few who poorly led by a former Olympian warrior Tricky Nick had no answer to this onslaught led by Berkshire Bodicea Nic in a Gin fuelled rage on her chariot drawn by magnificent GSP's. 

Not sure who the ex Olympian or Berkshire Bodicea are.......but needs to be refined a bit more for Jilly......she is not 'in your face' ....more of a multi character storyteller....... :laugh:

I couldn't help but think that the job description read pretty much as a criteria for application.

Whilst in a paid job this would be pretty normal, if you haven't got the qualifications, don't apply would be the clear message.

But of course whoever the region vote for should get the job, so basically it's not so much as a job spec but a wish list, if the region decided to put up an OT shooting house trained chimp, the Board would have no option than to co- opt him.

But nothing would shock me, they could still could come up with some bizarre reason for not accepting the poor old chimp.

I can't help thinking that the day I resigned the Directors position for the East Mids that the champagne corks must have been popping down at HQ and somewhere over the Atlantic.

The celebrations must have been long and wild until someone pointed out their worst nightmare was being lined up to fill the position.

Clive is a decent and honest guy, he knows the Articles inside and out, he is a vastly experied business man, he has held positions of office on management boards and their like, all of a sudden you get the picture, Clive knows too much.

No wonder they are doing everything they can to prevent his appointment.

'Our' Olympian Warrior  came to us with experience of funding for the London Olympics. How fortunate that we have benefited from that experience.

Now that we are awash with funding let's spend it.

I couldn't help but think that the job description read pretty much as a criteria for application.

Whilst in a paid job this would be pretty normal, if you haven't got the qualifications, don't apply would be the clear message.

But of course whoever the region vote for should get the job, so basically it's not so much as a job spec but a wish list, if the region decided to put up an OT shooting house trained chimp, the Board would have no option than to co- opt him.

But nothing would shock me, they could still could come up with some bizarre reason for not accepting the poor old chimp.

I can't help thinking that the day I resigned the Directors position for the East Mids that the champagne corks must have been popping down at HQ and somewhere over the Atlantic.

The celebrations must have been long and wild until someone pointed out their worst nightmare was being lined up to fill the position.

Clive is a decent and honest guy, he knows the Articles inside and out, he is a vastly experied business man, he has held positions of office on management boards and their like, all of a sudden you get the picture, Clive knows too much.

No wonder they are doing everything they can to prevent his appointment.
I think my comment on anther thread pretty much sum up what they are about.

Latest posts

Back