Cleaning woodwork

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beechin

Iv found loads a post and stuff for cleaning your barrels and action. But what do people do to clean your woodwork is there a oil or wax out there that's not for refinishing your woodwork. I have just been rubbing it over with a dry cloth but just wondering what others do.

Depends on what your wood is coated with.

Oil likes a coat of stock oil now and again, whereas varnish can be wiped over with furniture polish.

Don't mix the two ☺

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

It's most likely oiled.

Just rub a very small amount of stock conditioning or raw linseed oil into the stock, rub it in using your palm to warm it up and let it soak in. Don't put too much on as it will go dull. Only needs doing 2 or 3 times a year.

It's a good idea to rub a little into the inside of the forend too. Just let that soak in, but go sparingly!

NO! Not cleanzoil! Great stuff for cleaning gun, but watch it on wood regardless of what it says on can. Cleaned mine with it. While out shooting it rained and the gun became as slippy as a wet fish!

I really like the new browning legia spray.

It can be used on metal, plastic and wood! Leaves a nice sheen on the woodwork, and protects/cleans the metal too! :)

I really like the new browning legia spray.

It can be used on metal, plastic and wood! Leaves a nice sheen on the woodwork, and protects/cleans the metal too! :)
Again, I'm not sure a cleaning solvent is best to treat wood. It may well clean the surface, but that's not the same as protecting and preserving. 

NO! Not cleanzoil! Great stuff for cleaning gun, but watch it on wood regardless of what it says on can. Cleaned mine with it. While out shooting it rained and the gun became as slippy as a wet fish!
I use cleanzoil all the time on both guns, they are used in all weathers and continue to gleam at all times, brilluant stuff. The wife and i shoot every weekend of the year, no matter the weather.

Do you not think that if all of these 'wonder' gun oils, note GUN oils, are so good for the woodwork that Gunsmiths and especially Stockers would have started using them too ?

Do you not think that if all of these 'wonder' gun oils, note GUN oils, are so good for the woodwork that Gunsmiths and especially Stockers would have started using them too ?
Did'nt realize it was a wonder product. Comes in a handy plastic bottle, smells oily (love it) and makes my weapon look great. What more do I need. Oh and the cleanzoil girl sounds nice on the phone.

Did'nt realize it was a wonder product. Comes in a handy plastic bottle, smells oily (love it) and makes my weapon look great. What more do I need. Oh and the cleanzoil girl sounds nice on the phone.
Michael, if you're happy to rub your weapon whilst talking to a nice girl on the phone. Good for you, but you might be on the wrong forum mate :biggrin:

Well, I suppose it IS a lubricant,      99 times, change hands, don't care if I do go blind !

I would book an appointment with Mr. Lyons, I have a feeling you may be needing him soon !

Again, I'm not sure a cleaning solvent is best to treat wood. It may well clean the surface, but that's not the same as protecting and preserving.
It's not a solvent. It's not a bore cleaner, just lubricates and protects. I've used it for a year now, and to great effect. No dry wood, keeps a water repellant layer on it, and stops my "acid fingers" leaving print marks on the metalwork.

Latest posts

Back