Cleaning the next day.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beechin

When I shoot its normally on a Sunday and sometimes I won't have time after a shoot to clean my gun. If I was to spray bore cleaner down the barrel and wipe the outside of the barrels off and stored it muzzle down in my cabinet would it be ok until the next day after work to give it a proper clean.

All depends on the day. If the gun was clean before shooting and you stick 100 through it on a dry day, then there is no hurry. Even I would leave that maybe even until after the next shoot. If it's damp, dry thoroughly ASAP and oil all the steel parts or corrosion is coming.

Opps I never clean  then bores of gun from one month to the next. I shoot ever week and although I always wipe down the exterior of the gun with an oily rag straight after I shot and put the gun in the case again that is all it gets before I shoot it next. Of course once every couple of thousand I do run a bronze brush down it with a bit of bore cleaner, it always seems to come up nice and shiny. It is a Perazzi with non chromed bores do you think it needed more than that? I asked a fellow P shooter what he did and to be honest he said much the same as what I do, it is a worry but the bores always look shiny when you push a patch through them.

All depends on the day. If the gun was clean before shooting and you stick 100 through it on a dry day, then there is no hurry. Even I would leave that maybe even until after the next shoot. If it's damp, dry thoroughly ASAP and oil all the steel parts or corrosion is coming.
Sorry meant to put dry day I would always make sure its dry if it got wet anyway. Normally only put between 100 and 150 a day anyway.

Even with my perazzi I only cleaned the bores properly every 700-1000 shots. I am am always more bothered about the hinge pins, locking lugs and ejectors etc as these are moving wearing parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right ...spill the beans what happened ? You have me worried I don't clean mine regularly only every couple of thousand shells, the gun never gets taken out of its case I just put it behind the sofa and it stays there until the next time I shoot. I have pushed the odd patch of kitchen paper through after a shoot but barely get a bit of soot out of it Clever's seem to burn pretty clean.

Crome bores can left no problem after shooting, impervious to rust, just wipe the metal surfaces down with a drop of oil, but non Crome bores need to be cleaned after every shoot, powder residue left in the barrel can absorb moisture and cause pitting.

Right ...spill the beans what happened ? You have me worried I don't clean mine regularly only every couple of thousand shells, the gun never gets taken out of its case I just put it behind the sofa and it stays there until the next time I shoot. I have pushed the odd patch of kitchen paper through after a shoot but barely get a bit of soot out of it Clever's seem to burn pretty clean.
Your telling porky pies.

Dooo not leave your gun it will rust. Those on here are lazy and been lucky. It will get them.

I'v seen guns go rotten in the slip. Even chrome bores rust. It starts in the forcing cone area. Little dark specs that will not clean.

It's so easy. Squirt of Napier, have a cup of tea , another squirt use chamber brush, use long brush ( Payne Gallaway type), push through twice, long wool mop to polish up, finish squirt of Liege, store barrels down.

If it's raining take a second dry slip to put your dried gun in to transport home.

When I shoot its normally on a Sunday and sometimes I won't have time after a shoot to clean my gun. If I was to spray bore cleaner down the barrel and wipe the outside of the barrels off and stored it muzzle down in my cabinet would it be ok until the next day after work to give it a proper clean.
You have already said you meant on a dry day in which case spraying the bores will be a bit on the excessive side unless we're talking about a gun that is prone to rusting. Cars, proper wrist watches and lawn mowers all have lots of moving parts but don't get cleaned every time they get used. 

You have already said you meant on a dry day in which case spraying the bores will be a bit on the excessive side unless we're talking about a gun that is prone to rusting. Cars, proper wrist watches and lawn mowers all have lots of moving parts but don't get cleaned every time they get used.
My lawn mower fell to bits last summer. Brought a nice plastic Honda. Proper mechanical self winding watches need to be stored in a watch winder. Cars these days are all dipped prior to assembly.
There are no moving parts in a barrel only what goes up it.

But also ( cars, watches, etc) they don't go hot and cold with noxious gasses, lead, steel, plastic going up there at whatever speed you think the shells are performing at, shooters blowing the fumes out of their barrels with damp breath. Etc.

Good luck with the rust.

Your telling porky pies.

Oh no I am not! When I finish shooting for the day I have a pair of mintex gloves I use in conjunction with a lightly oiled rag and I remove the barrels and forend and the wipe them down replace the forend and put it in its sleeve and place it in the case then I wipe the action all over with the cloth , after I release the hammers against a 5 cent piece and put it in its sleeve then close the case and drive home where I take the case from the boot of the car and put it behind the sofa in the lounge beside my Browning ,Beretta and Brno.22lr it stays there until I use it again. From time to time I have been known to give the bores a good going over with the bronze, bore cleaner and a cordless drill come up like a mirror normally but I have not done that for a while! I never shoot in the rain!

Yep porkies.

Cordless drill.

What colours the sofa?
Porkies?? You are miss guided bud I don't do porkies. My gun comes into the house in its hard case and goes behind the black leather sofa with my other guns and stays there until the next time I use it. Cordless drill .. hitaichi 18V variable speed in conjunction with a Bisley three piece wood rod and bronze brush, been a while since I used that but it is a very effective way of cleaning the bores I recommend it! Anyway why do you think I would tell porkies about how I keep my guns? It makes no sense whatsoever!

So you don't clean your guns between stands......either standards are dropping or I need a doctors appointment?

post-2976-0-60198200-1424202117.jpg

Latest posts

Back